IGNORED

Ahoy Mateys!

Thunderbird

some people have done stranger things ;)

The premise behind the PM is just as odd to me and I actually understand where you are coming from as a developer, and i agree the message was one of the more odd things i have seen.. but the issue comes into play that formentioned person was under the impression that private messages were to be treated as that and not put under the public eye.

And in reply to your PM, No, i DONT have any hanson concert bootlegs. :ponder: :P

some people have done stranger things ;)

The premise behind the PM is just as odd to me and I actually understand where you are coming from as a developer, and i agree the message was one of the more odd things i have seen.. but the issue comes into play that formentioned person was under the impression that private messages were to be treated as that and not put under the public eye.

And in reply to your PM, No, i DONT have any hanson concert bootlegs.  :ponder:  :P

Look. We live in a rough time in Jaguar history. We need more developers and we need to keep the ones we have. Developing for the Jaguar is NOT like other homebrew systems, because games take considerable investment in time to create, and a lot more money to produce. Some developers develop to try and make a few extra dollars. Others develop for the fun of it but need to make back their production costs to keep making new things. You can't do any of that if people are passing around ROM images of the hard work!

There's only a small market of people who buy these games, and all the developers out there know that once people start passing one of the new releases around that the floodgates will open and nothing will be off limits.

When that happens, there will no longer be a viable market for Jaguar games and nobody will make any more.

With easily copied games like Painter and Mad Bodies coming out on CD, we have to have faith in the Jaguiar fans to support the developers through purchases.

When people come along and try to obtain ROM images or ISO images of CD games, it puts a big strain on the developers, all of whom are keeping one eye on these matters with a little bit of concern.

I see nothing wrong with alerting fellow developers to the fact that someone is poking around and trying to disrupt the delicate balance the developers have had with the userbase.

RichG1972 is apparently not new to the Atari scene and is perfectly aware that what he was asking for was illegal. Illegal activity in Private Messages in my opinion is not subject to the "moral" guidelines you say must be adhered to.

I am in business to help others, I restore Atari 2600 systems to their former glory, making them what they were the day they rolled off the assmbly lines.  I don't turn them into artificial respresentations of what others THINK they should be with all the extras and googaws that others choose to solder onto them, and those who choose to saw and hack away at the cases of otherwise perfectly good 2600 consoles.  I bring them back to what they were ORIGINALLY designed to be from the initial concept that came from Nolan Bushnell himself, if he saw any of these modifications people have done to his creation, I doubt he'd be praising them on their ingenuity, but rather he'd ask them Why did you do this to a system I labored so hard to create?  Wasn't the system I created GOOD ENOUGH?"  For tjose who doubt I am in any kind of business I offer a sample of my work and proof of my quality workmanship and precision.:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...3823&highlight=

You'll all be amazed I'm sure, especially those who are and will always be in my cheering section.

RichG1972

Yay! :ponder:

As I see it, it was SPAM because it satisfied 3 specific criteria:

1. You claim to have not known T-bird or that he was a Jaguar developer. Therefore he was personally irrelevant to your message. You could (by your admission) have sent your request to anyone... (it just happened to be a Jaguar developer).

2. The PM was unsolicited. T-bird hasn't been taking ROM requests for years... ;)

3. The benefit of the message having being sent belonged to the sender. If the "random f*#k" recipient (T-bird) had gleefully turned over the username and password to his Jag ROM FTP only you would have benefitted from the "exchange".

Now, if you care to, read this:

Definition of "spam"

STANDARD:

An electronic message is "spam" IF: (1) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients; AND (2) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent; AND (3) the transmission and reception of the message appears to the recipient to give a disproportionate benefit to the sender.  

DISCUSSION:

(i) Trivial or mechanised personalization such as "Dear Mr. Jones, we see that you are the holder of the JONES.COM domain" does not make the personal identity of the recipient relevant in any way.

(ii) Failing to click the "do not send me marketing literature by e-mail" button in a web sign-up form does not convey explicit permission. Only when the default result is "no followup e-mail" AND the inbox impact is clearly stated before any action which changes this result, can permission of this kind be conveyed.

(iii) The appearance of disproportionate benefit to the sender, and the relevancy of the recipient's specific personal identity, are authoritatively determined by the recipient, and is not subject to argument or reinterpretation by the sender.

(iv) Non-personal e-mail always places a disproportionate cost burden on the recipient, and is considered to disproportionately benefit the sender unless it was verifiably solicited or by the recipient's willing exception.

(v) A message need not be offensive or commercial in order to fit the definition of "spam." Content is irrelevent except to the extent necessary to determine personal applicability, consent, and benefit.

I would also like to add, that I cooked up a batch of BBQ chicken for my fan club on the weekend and received a 12 minute standing ovation. But this one guy... this one ingrate, had to smother it with ketchup!!! :x So I guess I know how you feel... put me down for some of those Jag ROMs if you ever do find them...

Thunderbird I see your point and the point has been made so please back down, I apologized for what I did so you should be man enough to just let it go and not continue to fuel an argument that is trying to be diffused. I may not be new to the Atari scene as you say, but I am new to the Jaguar si9de of things. Last I knew, the Jaguar system was gone bywith, I didn't know that people still wrote games for a system that isn't even produced anymore. Now let me throw something your way, you are aware of the people out there making modifications to Atari 2600 consoles, adding A/V mods to them and everything right? Consider this, you worked hard on the Battlesphere game, in it's layout and design, the artwork that appears on the cart, and probably even designed the artwork for the manual and all. Let's say, just for a moment that you are one of the people in favor of those horrendous A/V mods that people do to vintage Atari 2600 systems that are no longer being produced and they are doing it to the rarest ones, the 1977 6 switch, the 1981 6 switch, the 1982 4 switch woodgrain and the 1983 all black system, I'm not saying you ARE one of those people, but just bear with me for a moment and lets say you are purely as an example, how would YOU feel if someone broke down the code of your game and totally bastardized it into something that was but a pale shadow of what you created. Does that make them any more right to have ripped the very same rom from your game cart and altered it, when as we both know, your original coding would still reside somewhere within that new bastardized version of your game? Again one final time, I am SORRY I asked for a rom of your game and it won't happen again. If I ever do get a Jaguar system, I'll fork over whatever money I have to in order to get a legitimate copy of your game. But until then I'll enjoy the Atari I am most familiar with.

RichG1972