IGNORED

Oldest game franchises that still release new games

17 hours ago, Tanooki said:

They did Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and it plays surprisingly well, also even has a save game feature which is kind of required with a game like that as cases keep piling up to do.

Weird to think that as being one of the two longest term edutainment series, the other being Reader Rabbit.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok seeing that list made something fairly obscure pop into my head and it really comes in as an early one.  It was created by the Theoretical Science Group at the University of Tokyo. 

1979 -- Heiankyo Alien (PC-8000 series Japanese computer) and same year Arcade which in the US did pop up here in 1980.

The game has had both sequels and homages for years over the decades, and even squeaked out some straight ports too like the 1989 Heiankyo Alien on Gameboy.

The actual game itself though was ported directly as well to the Super Famicom in 1995 in the Nichibutsu Arcade Classics 2 pack, and at some point before that had a remake done called Kid no Hore Hore Daisakusen.  Interestingly enough 2017 had the game pop up twice, once Columbus Circle ported it as Neo Heiankyo Alien to the older Famicom, and then also an official remaster as Heiankyo Alien 3671 was tossed up by Mindwave onto STEAM for PC so anyone can enjoy it.

There have been games that are it, but aren't called it due to licensing throwing something else on top.  I used to own one, a PC Engine HuCard with Doraemon as Doraemon Meikyu Daisakusen.  It has seen oddball ports too, even to early era handhelds over in Japan.

So this one stretches so far from 1979-2017 (38 years.)
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/heiankyo-alien/

Also following off that link above, seems the makers decided to release in 1999 a freeware version for all to enjoy on computer, and they still house an active link so enjoy: http://www.hyperware.co.jp/software/heian/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Heiankyo Alien 3671 was made by Ichikawa Mikito, the same dude who made Slap Fight MD. Still waiting for him to make Slap Fight 3671, but the last time he made a Slap Fight game it took him 4 years and he almost died in the process, so...

And right now he's finishing Uootoy.

14 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

And right now he's finishing Uootoy.

I forgot he's been working on that. There's been no word on Slap Fight 3671 for a long time, with the last mention of it that I remember being on some podcast. That was maybe a year ago, so it's possible that this new Slap Fight is dead by now. He said something about music licensing causing the delay or something like that, but it's been a while and I forgot exactly what he said.

On 3/15/2023 at 3:07 PM, electricmastro said:

Current top 10:

The Oregon Trail (1978-2021)

Pac-Man (1980-2022)

Space Invaders (1978-2020)

Mario (1981-2022)

Nobunaga's Ambition (1983-2022)

Galaxian (1979-2019)

Bomberman (1983-2022)

Dragon Slayer (1984-2022)

Wolfenstein (1981-2019)

Microsoft Flight Simulator (1982-2020)

Shouldn't Oregon Trail be older? The very first version of Oregon Trail was in 1971 for the HP 2100 minicomputer, the end user interface was a teleprinter. That was several years before the first Apple II version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(1971_video_game)

Edited by Koopa64

15 hours ago, Koopa64 said:

Shouldn't Oregon Trail be older? The very first version of Oregon Trail was in 1971 for the HP 2100 minicomputer, the end user interface was a teleprinter. That was several years before the first Apple II version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(1971_video_game)

Went back and forth on that, because I understand Oregon Trail wasn't sold to the public until 1978, and that the ones before that were essentially prototypes passed around from Carleton College in 1971. At that point, years would be different for a lot of series if you just counted prototypes and the like.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 12:56 AM, electricmastro said:

Last one I heard about was Legends of Zork, from 2009, so it has been dormant for almost 15 years.

I wonder if Microsoft buying Activision will result in MORE releases of classic games, or fewer...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So with all these retro franchises having gotten new releases this year, they’ve reached these time milestones:

Fire Emblem - 32 years

Power Pros - 28 years

Tomb Raider - 26 years

Kirby - 30 years

Uncharted Waters - 32 years

Doom - 29 years

Atelier - 25 years

Resident Evil - 27 years

Winning Post - 30 years

Sonic the Hedgehog - 31 years

Postal - 25 years

Dokapon - 29 years

The Legend of Zelda - 37 years

Bubble Bobble - 36 years

Street Fighter - 35 years

Crash Bandicoot - 26 years

Final Fantasy - 35 years

Jagged Alliance - 28 years

Double Dragon - 36 years

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Super Mario will have one coming up later this year with Super Mario Wonder too.  38 year old franchise, if you view arcade Mario Bros as part of it, then 40.

42 years.

Donkey Kong was the first Mario game, after all!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DavidD said:

42 years.

Donkey Kong was the first Mario game, after all!

True that fits as a technicality too, even if a bit more fuzzy.  He wasn't Mario until DKjr though, he was Jumpman on the original cabinet even if some would care to ret-con it for the obvious which is more than fair.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

True that fits as a technicality too, even if a bit more fuzzy.  He wasn't Mario until DKjr though, he was Jumpman on the original cabinet even if some would care to ret-con it for the obvious which is more than fair.

Eh -- the character's name may have changed/been in flux, but the character was the same.  The protagonist of Donkey Kong is the little hat-wearing, mustache bearing worker in a red hat.  He's the same character, doing the same basic movement (jumping) that appears in Super Mario Odyssey.

It's one series, and (like the Indiana Jones films) the first entry used a different naming scheme. ;)

(Also, it really seems like we should have ASCII smilies replaced not with these generic yellow faces, but with Otto or Winky.)

5 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

And I actually looked at the Japanese flyer and it's just "player" (and "lady" for Pauline). Where does the Jumpman thing comes from?? Instruction manuals from ports??

I believe the US arcade instruction panel on the cabinet calls him "Jumpman."  The Mario names was quickly adopted by NOA and used in all sorts of media and press releases...

donkey-kong-cpo-instructi_158-0.jpg

• Like 1