IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Controller Adapters - Round 3 (Nurmix)

nurmix

Hi.  If you don't get a response, I was able to get them from a seller on Etsy back in July.  (You can see my review as Lawrence.)

He's also on EBay now.  Do a search for Intellivision Flashback adapter.

Going back and forth between the two listings I'm not sure if he's got 2 left (Etsy) or if he's waiting for more parts (EBay).

I'd contact him and ask first before ordering.  But yeah, they work great and the buttons on the Flashback controllers are superior to the original console ones IMHO.

Edited by larryvgs

I talked to him on eBay, the line about the parts being out of stock was old and just not updated, I was able to order a couple after talking to him, and I think he'll update that line. Sounds like he does sell on etsy as well, but he told me to order on eBay and thanked me for pointing out that line saying they weren't in stock. If you wanna be sure they were really responsive to my messages, so contact them.

If you go back in this topic and look at my posts I wound up making one myself which was no easy chore since I suck at soldering, and I was always worried my lousy soldering job would not hold up.  So when I just happened to come across his post by accident on Etsy looking for a certain Intellivision game, I ordered a pair right away and they work great.  Guy is super responsive to messages.  Hope he sells as many of them as he can make.

On 1/1/2024 at 10:41 AM, Disco Dad said:

Hi, Are you still selling these adapters for the flashback to intellivision 2 controllers?

Are you sure you want to use Intellivision 2 controllers on your Flashback?  I think this would be a first request to use Inty 2 controllers on anything.

Or are you wanting Inty2 console to Flashback controllers?

@8bitwidgets.com sells Inty2 console to Flashback controller adapter cables.

8-Bit Widgets (8bitwidgets.com)

• Like 1

lol

8 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

I think this would be a first request to use Inty 2 controllers on anything.

lol, yea it's actually for the Sears INTV controllers to work with flashback.  :) 

Point well taken about INTV 2 to Flashback.. heh.   It was a special request, but I figured if one person wants it, might as well open it up to others, heh.  

Hey guys.

I'm actually planning to make them again this year.  It's near the top of my 2024 retro gaming projects list.  I have all the parts in stock to make a lot of them.

Most likely, I'll sell them through The Blue Sky Rangers ebay store (they would handle order fulfillment and shipping - the things I dislike most about selling cables).

I'll post here again when I get started.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, nurmix said:

Hey guys.

I'm actually planning to make them again this year.  It's near the top of my 2024 retro gaming projects list.  I have all the parts in stock to make a lot of them.

Most likely, I'll sell them through The Blue Sky Rangers ebay store (they would handle order fulfillment and shipping - the things I dislike most about selling cables).

I'll post here again when I get started.

Any chance you’d make some dual actions again?

On 1/5/2024 at 1:38 PM, Cellblock1138 said:

Any chance you’d make some dual actions again?

Possibly.  But I don’t have many spare Flashback controllers - as you know it takes 2 to make one Dual Action Controller.  And they are also extremely labor intensive to make.  I’d have to think about what price would make it worth my time.

For those who may not be familiar with them, here’s my “how to” video if you would like to attempt it yourself:

Flashback adapter cables are so much easier! ;-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nurmix said:

Possibly.  But I don’t have many spare Flashback controllers - as you know it takes 2 to make one Dual Action Controller.  And they are also extremely labor intensive to make.  I’d have to think about what price would make it worth my time.

For those who may not be familiar with them, here’s my “how to” video if you would like to attempt it yourself:

Flashback adapter cables are so much easier! ;-)

I really wish I had your talent to build one. Alas, I’m afraid it would only end up becoming a sad paper weight. It would probably just make more sense for me to spend a questionable amount of money on acquiring one.

47 minutes ago, Cellblock1138 said:

I really wish I had your talent to build one.

I agree, I'd love to build something like this, but because I couldn't I came up with this.   This is dual controller option, a cheaper / easier way if you haven't tried it yet.  Doesn't require destroying any hardware.  I make versions for 2609, Flashback, and INTV2..   I just did an update to the design for all three making them even stronger (not that they were bad before, but just decided to beef it up) and offer better support for dual disk gameplay (no games actually use it, but I wanted to better prepare for it.  Come on homebrew folks where is our Robotron-like?  it's on my homebrew objectives if no one beats me to it :) )  $15 or $25 for two or $30 for a set of three (shipping included) just PM me anytime.  

image.thumb.png.69bff2c9b7fcbc854330fed7e53e7dfb.png

image.thumb.png.9cdf422168d6ad925e5fb22b2916ae57.png

image.thumb.png.85f4ad15d54666869ae4fdc7af04d78d.png

Alternatively, the Cote Longplay also offers a dual controller option with an upcoming cable (which I'm in the process of making available soon on behalf of Cote, I just have a convention coming up this weekend, but after that I want to devote time to make them for Longplay owners.  I believe these are still in production and could be bought if you wanted to go this route.  

image.thumb.png.f30a96e2a6631f551bbcc2b64f893ab2.png

Edited by 8bitwidgets.com
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cellblock1138 said:

yeah man, I’m waiting for your cable

word.   i have a table at a con this weekend that has had me tied up, but I do expect to have something figured out by early February.  I have the parts to make a small run of them once I come up with a solid design that I can trust will be reliable for a long time.  :) 

4 hours ago, Cellblock1138 said:

Still would be nice to have a dual action flashback controller.

It was a neat item for sure.  :)

• 3 months later...
On 1/5/2024 at 2:57 PM, nurmix said:

Hey guys.

I'm actually planning to make them again this year.  It's near the top of my 2024 retro gaming projects list. 

Could you make a simple (straight) cord replacement?  I want to keep the original cord but lose short the coil.  Does this product yet exist?

9 hours ago, jeff20 said:

Could you make a simple (straight) cord replacement?

I don't think there is a "simple" way to do this without soldering and risk damaging the flex circuit if you're talking replacing the actual cord on the INTV II controller.. I assume that because the sears is straight and the 2609 is an attached controller.  It can be done but not without surgery.  

5 hours ago, 8bitwidgets.com said:

I don't think there is a "simple" way to do this without soldering and risk damaging the flex circuit if you're talking replacing the actual cord on the INTV II controller.. I assume that because the sears is straight and the 2609 is an attached controller.  It can be done but not without surgery.  

I see.  My idea is to have a straight cord on my original INTV model 1.  I feel like there could be a cable replacement kit / plan / instruction set... Every solution I find seems to call for buying an INTV 2 or Flashback.

24 minutes ago, jeff20 said:

I see.  My idea is to have a straight cord on my original INTV model 1.  I feel like there could be a cable replacement kit / plan / instruction set... Every solution I find seems to call for buying an INTV 2 or Flashback.

Some ideas

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/224658-straightening-cables-1st-attempt/?do=findComment&comment=2975724

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/162225-free-straight-cords-on-refurbished-colecovision-controllers/?do=findComment&comment=4064276

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeff20 said:

I tried to play Bomb Squad lastnight using the original 2609 with those awful old controllers and I was miserable... I've been playing on my Inty II with Flashback controllers for 2 years now. I have basically ruined myself for the 2609. I find the controllers on the 2609 to be clunky and unresponsive. I went back to my bread and butter lastnight and played much better.... 

The flashback controllers are not only easier to use, but the longer cord gives you some leeway. You don't have to sit right on top of the console. 👍

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 1

For those wanting straight..  Cote Gamers sells a nice internal DB9 adapter kit for the 2609..   

https://cotegamers.com/shop/en/accueil/137-long-play-disc-controller-adapter-for-intellivision-1.html

from there you could do a few things..  

1. I sell a Flashback to INTV adapter kit and can (on request if i have things in stock, which I usually do) which would let you use the INTV Flashback (straight cord) controllers with your 2609.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1704689405/flashback-to-intellivision-controller

2. you could buy a cote longplay controller (or two) which isn't the classic design but a pretty good alternative as well.  I have one and I like it.

https://cotegamers.com/shop/en/accueil/136-long-play-disc-controller.html

3. get some original sears controllers and hook those up.  Tougher to find and a little more $$$ or luck but it's not impossible to find them.

4. Involved, but you could cut part of the coiled wire and solder the 9 wires to a straight extension cord.

I think changing the wires on the flex circuit itself would be a bit more tricky and likely to make things worse which is why I don't recommend that approach, but some folks out there could do it, but not me :)

Edited by 8bitwidgets.com
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 7:22 PM, jeff20 said:

Could you make a simple (straight) cord replacement?  I want to keep the original cord but lose short the coil.  Does this product yet exist?

On 4/19/2024 at 10:34 AM, jeff20 said:

Hey, Jeff.

So I’m clear… you want to keep using the original 2609 controller, but replace the coiled cable with a straight (longer) one?

That’s not something I’ve done, but it wouldn’t be that difficult.  The issue, as 8bitwidgets mentioned, is that you would need to retain the Mylar circuit matrix ‘pressure pin’ connector that’s inside the controller.  So the top part / end of the coiled cable would need to be reused and spliced into the straight cord (which involves soldering).  And I don’t have spares of those connectors.

Then there’s the issue of connecting the straight cord to the Intellivision motherboard. The 2609 controllers use a 9-pin inline SIP connector to attach to the board.  I use these on my Intellivision 1 (2609) Flashback adapter cables.  So you would have to open up the console to replace the controller cables.

I don’t know if you’d want to do this yourself?  If you’re OK with that, then you’d need to open up your console, remove your existing controllers, and send them to me.  I’ll replace the cords - reusing your circuit matrix connectors - and send them back.  Then you’d just have to plug them in, route the cables, and reassemble.

If you aren’t comfortable doing all this, then you could send me the console and I could do all the work and send it back.

13 minutes ago, nurmix said:

Hey, Jeff.

So I’m clear… you want to keep using the original 2609 controller, but replace the coiled cable with a straight (longer) one?

Thanks for the offer!  I'm going to try some of the "straightening" methods in that linked thread and see you they work.  My coil seems unusually tight.  I may be content with just a less tight coil.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 11:54 AM, Rickster8 said:

I tried to play Bomb Squad lastnight using the original 2609 with those awful old controllers and I was miserable... I've been playing on my Inty II with Flashback controllers for 2 years now. I have basically ruined myself for the 2609. I find the controllers on the 2609 to be clunky and unresponsive. I went back to my bread and butter lastnight and played much better.... 

The flashback controllers are not only easier to use, but the longer cord gives you some leeway. You don't have to sit right on top of the console. 👍

Replacing the old / hard rubber side buttons of the original controller with side buttons from a Flashback controller would help with the ‘feel’.  Other than that, I can’t say I notice much of a difference between original (2609) controllers and Flashback controllers - as far as responsiveness; assuming the internal circuit matrices are in good shape, and there aren’t any wire or connectivity problems with them.

4 minutes ago, jeff20 said:

Thanks for the offer!  I'm going to try some of the "straightening" methods in that linked thread and see you they work.  My coil seems unusually tight.  I may be content with just a less tight coil.

A carefully used heat gun, slowly unwinding the coil, and patience should get you the result you’re looking for 😁

I have seen some 2609 cables that are tightly wound, probably from them getting twisted up or pulled too far then shoved back into the console that way over the years.

On 4/22/2024 at 10:52 AM, nurmix said:

Hey, Jeff.

That’s not something I’ve done, but it wouldn’t be that difficult.  The issue, as 8bitwidgets mentioned, is that you would need to retain the Mylar circuit matrix ‘pressure pin’ connector that’s inside the controller.  So the top part / end of the coiled cable would need to be reused and spliced into the straight cord (which involves soldering).  And I don’t have spares of those connectors.

Then there’s the issue of connecting the straight cord to the Intellivision motherboard. The 2609 controllers use a 9-pin inline SIP connector to attach to the board.  I use these on my Intellivision 1 (2609) Flashback adapter cables.  So you would have to open up the console to replace the controller cables.

I don’t know if you’d want to do this yourself?  If you’re OK with that, then you’d need to open up your console, remove your existing controllers, and send them to me.  I’ll replace the cords - reusing your circuit matrix connectors - and send them back.  Then you’d just have to plug them in, route the cables, and reassemble.

If you aren’t comfortable doing all this, then you could send me the console and I could do all the work and send it back.

The connector inside the Intellivision 1 controller can be taken apart and the cable replaced without cutting the original cable or soldering. 

On 4/24/2024 at 2:56 AM, mr_me said:

The connector inside the Intellivision 1 controller can be taken apart and the cable replaced without cutting the original cable or soldering. 

That’s absolutely true.  The end of the cable that connects to the controller can be removed and opened up, exposing the wires.

And you can remove the entire cable from the console and the controller pretty easily as well.

But if your goal is to REPLACE the original coiled cable with a straight / longer cable (and re-use the connectors at both ends of the original coiled cable), you should be OK with the controller end, although it takes patience and some ability with tools, and wire cutters / strippers if you are planning to thread all 9 wires of a new cable into the connector and reassemble it.  But yes, no soldering is required.

The end of the cable with the motherboard SIP connector will be more of a challenge.  In my experience, there are a few variations of that connector.  Some can be pulled apart, but some are sealed / molded plastic.  You will likely destroy those when attempting to get them apart.  Some can’t be taken apart at all, you would have to cut the wires, then try to push the pins out with an extractor tool.  If you’re lucky, you might even be able to reuse those pins.  Most likely you’ll need new ones, which will also require a crimping tool and a pin insertion tool.  But yes, no soldering required.

image.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

IMG_4296.jpeg

IMG_4297.jpeg

IMG_4299.jpeg

• Like 2