IGNORED

Atari 130XE keyboard rebuild: vintage keycaps on modern switches

20 hours ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

1. The XL Modern keyboard is ready and shipping pre-orders now. I'll create a new thread to take orders for the next batch sometime next week.

Great! I will look out this since I have another project coming up that can use it 🙂

Oh, it also won the ABBUC hardware contest, did you hear? :D

Congratulations!! I know a lot of people are excited by your offering!

2. XL vintage should follow shortly, I just need to test the adapters that are right now in transit from China.

Which model mechanical switches are you supporting? Will you be supporting all the different XL switch variants? 

testing the first Decent400 prototype. Works great! This is modern only, since there are no vintage 400 caps. Caps are on order and should be here next week.

Keeping an eye out on this as well for one of my 400’s

1 hour ago, scorpio_ny said:

Which model mechanical switches are you supporting? Will you be supporting all the different XL switch variants? 

Any MX-compatible switch will work for modern, and any Kailh Choc switch will work for vintage. As I said, Matias / Alps support will probably be dropped from future revisions.

In terms of vintage key caps, I'll have adapters first for the square and cross footprints. More will come later, but for each, I'll have to get my hands on a sample key cap set.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2023 at 3:32 AM, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

New adapter protos are here, and they work great. They will be better with the new location for the keyboard connector however:

And here's a side view of the clearance above the board with a card giving the level of the bottom of the keyboard

With the new adapter, is it also possible to desolder the original keyboard socket and solder the new adapter PCB horizontally with a 1x24 2.54mm pin header?

7 hours ago, olix said:

With the new adapter, is it also possible to desolder the original keyboard socket and solder the new adapter PCB horizontally with a 1x24 2.54mm pin header?

Yes but in the meantime I’ve completely eliminated the adapters. I now use flexible PCBs that plug directly into the motherboard. It’s still possible to use an adapter but that only makes sense if for some reason you don’t have the original connector on the motherboard.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

Just wanted to give people a heads up about the latest keyboard remake:

This is going to be what finally breaks the Atari budget.  You've combined my 2 biggest loves - Atari 8-bits and mechanical KBs.

• Like 1