IGNORED

NES games that disappointed you

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, 7800Knight said:

Super Pitfall.

That game was NOT worthy of the Pitfall name.  Hell, that game should have been declared a controlled substance!

They also made Pitfall Harry look like Mario. It couldn't have been more of a pathetic cash-in. Activision did not care about quality in the NES era.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 2:40 PM, Razzie.P said:

Double Dragon was a pretty big disappointment for me, after loving the arcade version so much.  Single player, seems like they changed the name to the super cool (to kid me) Spike and Hammer to Billy and Jimmy.  You had to learn to fight as you go --- seems like they'd already know those kick ass moves before taking on a gang (like the arcade) since they were martial experts and all. 

And Narc -- can't remember specifics for why, but just remember being so disappointed after getting that game, likely because I was comparing it to the arcade version as well.

NARC actually isn't that bad...on emulation. Never played the actual game on NES.

1 hour ago, Frozone212 said:

Being a Fan of Terminator, Terminator 2 on NES SUCKED. Also, i am not a fan of Micro Machines (I fully expect to be eaten alive)

I don't know if I have played the NES version of Micro Machines, but I have played it on Amiga and GBC and both of them kinda bored me.  They were too easy, I just raced and raced and didn't lose for more than an hour.

On 9/21/2021 at 4:40 PM, Razzie.P said:

Double Dragon was a pretty big disappointment for me, after loving the arcade version so much.  Single player, seems like they changed the name to the super cool (to kid me) Spike and Hammer to Billy and Jimmy.  You had to learn to fight as you go --- seems like they'd already know those kick ass moves before taking on a gang (like the arcade) since they were martial experts and all. 

And Narc -- can't remember specifics for why, but just remember being so disappointed after getting that game, likely because I was comparing it to the arcade version as well.

I am with you on Double Dragon.  I HATED it how you had 2 player alternating instead of simultaneous.  And what was up with having to earn moves like kicks and jump kicks?

I prefer the Atari 7800 port of Double Dragon (which I own).  While the graphics & sounds were inferior to the NES, at least that played more like the arcade game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 2:20 PM, 7800Knight said:

Super Pitfall.

That game was NOT worthy of the Pitfall name.  Hell, that game should have been declared a controlled substance!

This is one I still haven't played...I hear bad things haha...I own a cart of it which never worked.  I'll have to fire up the N-8 and see what's what!

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't born early enough to witness the NES in its prime but the first stinker i ever played for the system was Bible Adventures. It crushed me that such a piece of crap could be released for the system. The other disappointment for me was the NES port of Ghosts n Goblins. I still hate it. It's a carbon copy of an already hard arcade game with a strict time limit and enemies that are overpowered. How it became a series is, to me, astonishing, considering the game sucks so bad that even as a prank, i wouldn't gift it to my enemies.

Let's see ...

Zelda rocked, still does

Track and Field II, could never figure out the swimming segment and the pole jump was torture without a turbo controller.

The second stinker that made me migrate to the Sega consoles was no doubt T2 for nes. Props to the LJN defender but I couldn't stomach it. It was so bad, that i had to put on TMNT 2 the arcade game for nes just to have a decent day. 

Jurassic park because i loved the film. Sega's offering was...disappointing

All was well after i switched to Windows.

Great thread.

I have to say, I agree in a sense with most of the titles here -- stuff like Total Recall and T2 were odd at times to say the least. Yet, I don't think I can say I really dislike most of them. Even Super Pitfall is cool on certain levels. There's a charm to them now that even existed back then. But the clunky difficulty of some of them - someone mentioned Battle of Olympus -- could not agree more. It removed any practical ability for me to play them...I'm just not a solid gamer like most here, and unless I had great cheat codes - read, invincibility - I couldn't do it. It remains a mystery to me as to why they were designed in the manner they were. (Someone mentioned Friday the 13th - that is a good game, but yeah, too hard.)

Having written all that, may I arrogantly suggest I have the one that might beat all other mentions here (unless it was already mentioned, I unfortunately could not read every word of the thread)? And the disappointment is recent. Purchased it on Gamestop when that company made a play for selling older titles (too bad it doesn't do that any longer). It is: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Did that one really have to be so disappointing? Was it so hard to emulate? Hey, it happens, and I hold no hard feelings and will not criticize the programmers. I'll just say...was really looking forward to owning/playing that one. 

Edited by AAA177
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 9:11 PM, AAA177 said:

Great thread.

I have to say, I agree in a sense with most of the titles here -- stuff like Total Recall and T2 were odd at times to say the least. Yet, I don't think I can say I really dislike most of them. Even Super Pitfall is cool on certain levels. There's a charm to them now that even existed back then. But the clunky difficulty of some of them - someone mentioned Battle of Olympus -- could not agree more. It removed any practical ability for me to play them...I'm just not a solid gamer like most here, and unless I had great cheat codes - read, invincibility - I couldn't do it. It remains a mystery to me as to why they were designed in the manner they were. (Someone mentioned Friday the 13th - that is a good game, but yeah, too hard.)

Having written all that, may I arrogantly suggest I have the one that might beat all other mentions here (unless it was already mentioned, I unfortunately could not read every word of the thread)? And the disappointment is recent. Purchased it on Gamestop when that company made a play for selling older titles (too bad it doesn't do that any longer). It is: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Did that one really have to be so disappointing? Was it so hard to emulate? Hey, it happens, and I hold no hard feelings and will not criticize the programmers. I'll just say...was really looking forward to owning/playing that one. 

Super Pitfall does top my worst list. Even though it was done my Micronics (I never had issues with their 1942 or Ikari Warriors ports), there is something about following the 2600 version of Pitfall II with even a worst version for the next touted superior console.

Agree with on Temple of Doom... I was playing tons of the arcade version around the same time I rented this. I really don't mind if you deviate gameplay but the dreadful controls and the way item select was done were mind boggling.  Hard to believe it was the same crew that programmed the arcade version did this awful port.

35 minutes ago, schuwalker said:

Super Pitfall does top my worst list. Even though it was done my Micronics (I never had issues with their 1942 or Ikari Warriors ports), there is something about following the 2600 version of Pitfall II with even a worst version for the next touted superior console.

Agree with on Temple of Doom... I was playing tons of the arcade version around the same time I rented this. I really don't mind if you deviate gameplay but the dreadful controls and the way item select was done were mind boggling.  Hard to believe it was the same crew that programmed the arcade version did this awful port.

Super Pitfall hit all the right spots for me.  That being a huge platforming world without a timer.  Glitches like walking through walls made me explore more.

In contrast Temple of Doom glitches just made me quit the game.  It seemed already "arcade hard" so unfair deaths were extremely frustrating.

1 hour ago, Gemintronic said:

Super Pitfall hit all the right spots for me.  That being a huge platforming world without a timer.  Glitches like walking through walls made me explore more.

In contrast Temple of Doom glitches just made me quit the game.  It seemed already "arcade hard" so unfair deaths were extremely frustrating.

I think the glitches even irked me more than made it more enjoyable. I was just hoping for more of a Pitfall III with sorta of the same graphical style as the first. The bigger world is a plus but I never been on board finding items essential to gameplay just by randomly jumping at spots or hitting a bird lol.

Edited by schuwalker
  • Like 1

Speaking of games with random mysterious unexplained objectives:

Athena was already a sub par platforming experience.. THEN you get stuck with an invincible end boss unless you collect certain hidden things.  The game gets so tough though I just thought I had to "git gud" so I spent hours trying to defeat the last boss!