IGNORED

SD4ST Mini hard disk HDD interface for Atari ST STE

delvis

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 5:29 AM, delvis said:

Yes, its an ACSI2STM but in an expensive way...  of course, it have a RTC clock.

As many know this is cheaper and does the same, also with worldwide shipment and technical service if needed :)  :

• Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 9:45 AM, Vulcanman said:

It's certainly faster then my old scsi drive.

Care to run one of the benchmark programs on it? I'd be curious as to the results.

I've got a couple of Ultrasatan's here, both internal and external. They are great

devices but I don't think either of them will match the speed of the 4gig SCSI

hard drive I have with my Mega ST4...

Thanks.

Edited by DarkLord

That's actually quite a bit of difference. 

Neither figure approaches SCSI results...at least

none of the tests I've seen or done...

Interesting point - the Falcon's IDE stuff actually

goes faster the faster the machine does. When I

added the CT60 to mine, the hard drive benchmarks

jumped.  :)

Thanks for the tests.

I was just curious (and to make sure I was remembering things correctly),

so I went back and ran the transfer rate app on my devices...

I used it on the internal and external Ultrasatan devices that I have in my

Mega STe and STacy. Using 2 gig and 4 gig SanDisk cards, they averaged

just under 1000kb/s, at around 960. For some reason, the 2 gig card was

always just a little bit slower than the 4 gig card. The Mega STe is using

Lotharek's Mega STe ACSI adapter and the STacy is using Alan H.'s ACSI

adapter.

I also ran it on the 4 gig SCSI hard drive used by my Mega ST4. It was

faster at around 1560kb/s. This machine is using ICD's Link 2.

All devices were using HDDriver.

Anyway, just some random comparisons.   :)

Dark Lord - heh you have I guess some ultimate setup.

Your information is very usefull at least for me.

in my case 870kb comparing to 'real world' case on ultrasatan 960 its not that far away.

(I am personally satified with this at least its a good start taking into account that the CPU speed in SD4ST, actually clock speed  is 4-5x slower, than on US.  obviously its a very poor simplification but at least puts some perspective ).

Could you put a little bit more light or anyone on forum,

what would be the fastest observed speed on 'common' Atari hardware.

By common I mean, lets say :

Atari STE TOS2.06 ACSI interface (4MB common CPU no upgrates) - I am trying to estabilish some baseline, reference  (& target);]

what is the best seen speed and which device is it ?

is it fair to say that the 1560kb/s on ICD's Link 2 is achievable on ste206? maybe there is something faster than that?

Thanks,

The higher speeds with SCSI disks are not because it is SCSI. For instance, if you connect some very fast SCSI drive to Mega STE internal SCSI adapter (and I have some which can over 10 MB/sec) will get max about 1000 KB/sec.  In other words, ACSI-SCSI adapter can limit speed to less than what SCSI drive or DMA chip in Atari can.

And of course, same stays for ACSI-SD adapters. Modern SD cards can really high speeds, 20 MB/sec is now normal.  DMA chip in ST, STE, TT can max 2 MB/sec in peak. And there are some adapters which can go close to it: my ACSI-CF adapter, and here was announced too ACSI-SD what will be able to similar speed.  All it is matter of design, used chips and firmware in adapter. Remember, Satandisk can only some 150 KB/sec .

I'm sure that this new competition in ACSI-SD adapter design/offer will result sooner or later in reaching that ~2 MB/sec .

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:49 PM, zibi said:

Could you put a little bit more light or anyone on forum,

what would be the fastest observed speed on 'common' Atari hardware.   (post#12)

Definitely not more than 2,000KB/s around 1800 - 1850KB/s, maybe with super short wiring and perfect conditions about 2,000KB/s.

PS note: I believe Atari ST series ACSI DMA needs 4 cycle of the CPU for accessing the dma channel @ 8MHz / 4 = 2MHz.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:45 PM, Vulcanman said:

I bought one of these, and I'm using the ICD Pro drivers with it. It's certainly faster then my old scsi drive.

I'm just waiting for a manual for it to come out, the documentation on the home site is sparse at the moment.

Regards

Hi Vulcanman,

The page is steadely growing. I think more or less I know what is needed.

What would be usefull  is what you would expect to see, this would help me with my priorities.

Could you drop me message on PW (you can use page form if you dont have my email).

Thanks,

Zibi

22 hours ago, Vulcanman said:

Hi Darklord,

sorry for the delay in replying.

ICD Rate HD V3.09 - 851KB/s 2 ms

AHPT94 - 834 KB/s 10.7 ms

Regards

When you post results of tests with my program AHPT94 should mention which way it was done. Because there are 2 ones:  left is raw disk speed test, with direct access to hard disk or Flash card (adapter). Other is via hard disk driver and filesystem in TOS. And of course second way will give less transfer rate, slower access times, because then it goes via FAT16 filesystem, what means not so direct access to storage.

By results you posted, it is pretty sure that it was done second way.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 9:54 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

When you post results of tests with my program AHPT94 should mention which way it was done. Because there are 2 ones:  left is raw disk speed test, with direct access to hard disk or Flash card (adapter). Other is via hard disk driver and filesystem in TOS. And of course second way will give less transfer rate, slower access times, because then it goes via FAT16 filesystem, what means not so direct access to storage.

By results you posted, it is pretty sure that it was done second way.

So I've re-done the test using the ACSI selection, with the transfer rate now at 891 KB/s, and access time at 1.3 mS.

Is there a help file for using your programme?

Hope this helps.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...