IGNORED

Tomb Raider being ported to 3DO

sd32

On 11/4/2021 at 12:58 AM, phoboz said:

I don't think that the IP owners for Tomb Raider would allow the release of a game not running at the full framerate on any console.

That would be directly suicidal to their brand.

At least @VladR has an unique game (whatever that is?)

It seems run run way smoother.

I still hope he would finnish it some day. Otherwise his work is a complete waste of time.

Common @VladR, I still belive in you!

It just was a complete waste of time. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

We now have proof thanks to former Tomb Raider programmer Paul Douglas (thanks to XProger for spotting this info nugget!) that both the Jaguar CD and the 3DO were considered as possible platforms for the original Tomb Raider but it seems that the team did not have dev kits for both systems. Somewhat weird, considering that Core Design were making Soulstar, but my theory is that they had access to only one Jaguar dev kit and that one was already being used on Soulstar. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

We now have proof thanks to former Tomb Raider programmer Paul Douglas (thanks to XProger for spotting this info nugget!) that both the Jaguar CD and the 3DO were considered as possible platforms for the original Tomb Raider but it seems that the team did not have dev kits for both systems. Somewhat weird, considering that Core Design were making Soulstar, but my theory is that they had access to only one Jaguar dev kit and that one was already being used on Soulstar. 

That would make perfect sense. 

Teams like Core, D. I. D, good few others talked of evaluating the then future platforms for conversions of PC titles and new I. P's. 

Likes of Jaguar, CD32 and 3DO considered. 

Where it all went wrong was when the Games Press at the time, took supplied screenshots of titles (often little more than S. G. I Images)  and reported as them in development for them. 

People than took the press claims as factual and before long, they became established lost games for them. 

Great to have yet another Core Design source come forward to add his insights. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostdragon said:

That would make perfect sense. 

Teams like Core, D. I. D, good few others talked of evaluating the then future platforms for conversions of PC titles and new I. P's. 

Likes of Jaguar, CD32 and 3DO considered. 

Where it all went wrong was when the Games Press at the time, took supplied screenshots of titles (often little more than S. G. I Images)  and reported as them in development for them. 

People than took the press claims as factual and before long, they became established lost games for them. 

Great to have yet another Core Design source come forward to add his insights. 

Well, now we know thanks to the work done by XProger that a 3DO version of Tomb Raider was doable but by that point, the 3DO was unfortunately a lost cause with the arrival of Playstation, Saturn and Nintendo 64. 

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 1:38 PM, KidGameR186496 said:

Thanks for posting! Now ... only MK3 and Quake left to debunk 😜😁

I do find the OpenLaura project possibilities fascinating when you see it running on 32X & GBA. Congrats to XProger for the many recent successes.

4 hours ago, Jagosaurus said:

Thanks for posting! Now ... only MK3 and Quake left to debunk 😜😁

I do find the OpenLaura project possibilities fascinating when you see it running on 32X & GBA. Congrats to XProger for the many recent successes.

The fun thing is, I bet there were a lot of games that were considered as a port to the JagCD.  But I also bet a lot were waiting to see how many units it sold.  Is the JagCD the winner of the smallest library of any console where you could swap carts / discs?

40 minutes ago, leech said:

The fun thing is, I bet there were a lot of games that were considered as a port to the JagCD.  But I also bet a lot were waiting to see how many units it sold.  Is the JagCD the winner of the smallest library of any console where you could swap carts / discs?

No, it's sequel, the nuon has less. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

No, it's sequel, the nuon has less. 

I thhought the Nuon was more or less only tied to the JagCD because it also had a Jeff Minter designed VLM (which quite frankly is the only reason I would want one, and the majority of the reason to have the JagCD, though there were definitely games that came afterward that makes it worthwhile to own.)

1 hour ago, leech said:

I thhought the Nuon was more or less only tied to the JagCD because it also had a Jeff Minter designed VLM (which quite frankly is the only reason I would want one, and the majority of the reason to have the JagCD, though there were definitely games that came afterward that makes it worthwhile to own.)

This thread recaps well... 2 direct sequels and 1 spiritual successor off top of my head ... but the Nuon could play my Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider DVD 😜. Take that 32X and Jag 

• Haha 2

On 2/16/2024 at 7:38 PM, KidGameR186496 said:

Wasn't it Susan Lusty of Core Design that stated at WCES '95 that both Swagman and Tomb Raider were planned to be released for the Jag CD and 3DO, where as by comparison over here, Richard Barclay told the UK Press Platforms at that time were yet to be decided?

14 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Wasn't it Susan Lusty of Core Design that stated at WCES '95 that both Swagman and Tomb Raider were planned to be released for the Jag CD and 3DO, where as by comparison over here, Richard Barclay told the UK Press Platforms at that time were yet to be decided?

I think it comes from here: https://archive.org/stream/Gamefan_Vol_3_Issue_03#page/n109/mode/1up

• Thanks 1