IGNORED

Couch Compliant Logo

KevKelley

9 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

I may have to try one of these. In my image editing software, whenever I shrunk down the original image it made it appear softer. Perhaps the more solid appearance would make it easier for my antiquated program to handle. Lol

You must resize by halves without any resample/quality algorithm. It is not a picture but a solid B/W image.

This is my V3 file in the original size, with two horizontal square image pixels per Atari player pixel in high resolution, so you have to remove every other pixel. To be used as playfield, you need to repeat every line 3 or 4 times.

CouchCompliant-v3.png.6d7dd9b3055dc9737a5f961a20b438bb.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vitoco said:

You must resize by halves without any resample/quality algorithm. It is not a picture but a solid B/W image.

This is my V3 file in the original size, with two horizontal square image pixels per Atari player pixel in high resolution, so you have to remove every other pixel. To be used as playfield, you need to repeat every line 3 or 4 times.

I'll have to try that. I use Microsoft Image Composer 98 for much of my editing. It's just what I learned to use back in the day and got comfortable with. I've been meaning to upgrade to something more modern.

6 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

I'll have to try that. I use Microsoft Image Composer 98 for much of my editing. It's just what I learned to use back in the day and got comfortable with. I've been meaning to upgrade to something more modern.

I use the "latest" version of MS Paint to draw, and IrfanView to resize and other conversions. These are my tools for simple drawings and sketchs, no modern software... :lol:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vitoco said:

I used a white inverse version the new Couch Compliant logo on the stream tonight to certify Muddyfunster's new port of Keystone Kapers! Looks great, thanks vitoco!

- James

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Yesterday I thought I'd have a go at a CC logo. But yours has everything I planned, and more. Very nice.

My only issue with this is the proportional font of "COMPLIANT"; I think the spacing just looks very odd.

But overall, great job.

Agreed. Currently the last half looks a bit squeezed to the first half. Maybe the 'A' should be made 1 pixel wider and the 'O' one pixel less wide.

I tried some variations:

CouchCompliant-v4-options-demo.thumb.png.ca7b2d0a16c48d1c6cb904ffc6c159e6.png

The first one is what Thomas suggested. The second one gives one more pixel to the 'O' and 'P' letters. The third one just makes the couch a bit heavier. The two last ones are 39 pixels wide instead of 37. I also tried some variations for the 'M', but in the end it seemed overweight.

These are the same, but with single pixels, so they look narrower than in the Atari.

CouchCompliant-v4-options-1px.png.0518feebe0f2f62f3754c2b95da3af1f.png

Any other variation or idea?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Maybe a narrow 'M' instead of the narrow 'O'? Experimented also with the 'COUCH'.

image.png.bd3d823473067767fe6749858e59cd5d.png

I like the Compliant but do think the U in Couch looks like a W. perhaps another pixel in the M but centered so it doesn't look like a H with a high bar? Even though that might not be pixel perfect.

Edited by KevKelley
  • Like 2

So I did a side by side comparison of my edited and one of the other earlier versions to see which one looks better on something like a label. I included an image of the bottom of a cartridge label idea I was working on for Cone Ball.  I wanted to display some logos on the bottom like the batari Basic logo and the Teddy Bear logo.  

1 is the one from @stepho.

2 is the darker one from @vitoco and @Thomas Jentzsch with my couple modifications.

I really like both but I do think 2 shows better and pairs well with various graphics and fonts. 1 reminds me a bit of the Compact Disc logo and I think that design feels more technical while the other seems less formal, if that makes sense, which makes it feel well suited for a video game for 40 year old hardware.  

CC_LOGO_COMPARE.png

Edited by KevKelley
  • Like 2

I also was thinking of a Couch Compliant device.  The first thing that came to mind was a synthesizer-like thing that I have called a Pianomate by the company Dubreq.  This is the company that made the famed Stylophone, as promoted by artists like Rolf Harris and used by David Bowie in the intro of Space Oddity.  They made other various things in the 70s but one of the weirder things they made was a device that sits on top of a piano.  There are two bars, one for bass notes and one for treble notes.  As a key is depressed a little plunger goes in and out which then creates a sound from an accompanying amplifier.  This is to compliment the sound of the piano.

I thought of this device when I mentioned something that would sit on the Atari and with a remote can have plungers push or pull the various switches. While the Pianomate is a passive device, it doesn't replace the original instrument or alter it in any way.  Perhaps it could even be powered by the Atari, either through the controller port or through a pass-through for the cartridge. 

Hope this doesn't detract too much from the Couch Compliant logo discussion. ? 

The vertical stripe in the U lined up nicely with the split between the 2 lower cushions. Was that intentional?
Anyway, I played a bit with making the "couch" letters become the back cushions by making the lower cushions smaller and extending the back cushions down a bit.

couch2-3.png.cbdd1347038a1feb09ff3081301f3746.pngcouch2-4.png.022a208d7c3adacfa712a5a4534ec92f.png

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 4:39 AM, KevKelley said:

So I did a side by side comparison of my edited and one of the other earlier versions to see which one looks better on something like a label. I included an image of the bottom of a cartridge label idea I was working on for Cone Ball.  I wanted to display some logos on the bottom like the batari Basic logo and the Teddy Bear logo.

If you like the CD logo, then perhaps try the dithered version.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Another thought is that the actual modification on the joystick is essentially wiring in a small PCB that routes the combinations + button press to do the functions. That PCB could be installed into any controller and wire in the same was as it is on the standard CX40. In fact, I've got a client wanting me to install this into a SEARS Arcade II controller if I'm able. So if you could get just the part that needs to go into the controller, then any controller that has been modified with the PCB inside it and an extra button installed could be made to work. After all the modification on the 2600 doesn't limit it to that controller only. You can still use a normal controller but then you would also have the option to use a modified controller that would work with it when you wanted.

can you use an atari flashback p1 joystick to take advantage of the extra buttons?

1 hour ago, KevKelley said:

No. Knowing my family my wife would do it to mess with me! And my son would have fun with it as well...

Heh.

But it would be a ridiculous/fun-for-five-minutes mashup of technological eras.

Got me thinking about an electromechanical add-on for my heavy 6'er. Alexa doesn't play in my house, but such a device could be built with network controllability in case one is inclined to implement such a weird combination. ?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I was looking to put this on a binary, and had a quick play; thought I might as well add it to the collection. I put a joystick on one of the armrests. These are 48 pixels wide, so can be used with the 6-sprite routine.

Actual size

compliant.png.0620fa133d74f900d1e09af06899f50b.png

4x...

compliant2.png.ed8e145ae2291800dc97045dc9157b48.png

"Offscreen" shot - Gopher emulator.

Stretched 2x vertically...

1493970235_ScreenShot2022-04-08at1_25_36am.png.e92b8b5a0dd773563568e701471ce177.png

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 5