IGNORED

Analogue NT Mini Noir

adamchevy

13e73b1ed1983c0cb84ba41b7c6196a9.jpg

I’m not sure why a thread was never created for this amazing console. I’ve owned one for a few months and have enjoyed it immensely. It has all of the things I was looking for in an FPGA console. I am a huge NES fan and I am planning on rebuilding a small NES/famicom cart collection. My main motivation for purchasing this console was to have RGB/HDMI output for all of my favorite retro consoles. I currently have it hooked up to an older 36” Sony Trinitron from the early 00s, and Logitech Z680 speakers. I’m very happy with this setup so far.

I created this topic to share experiences with this console and to hopefully help resolve some of the concerns with the different Jailbreak cores/features.

I have found that every core has worked well so far that I’ve been able to find a Bios for, which is all of them except for the Atari Vox. And that’s more of an add-on so not a real issue. It would be nice to have all features of the console working, so hopefully I can find a resolution for this.

I’ve used the Famicom Network controller with the Colecovision and Intellivision core and find that it works very well. I’ve also paired a 2.4G Snes controller with the original 2.4G Nes30 adapter and it has worked really well with the cores that support the Snes controller. Overall I’m very happy with the controller options available. It would be nice to have a real Atari CX40 joystick DB9 connector, but maybe I can find an adapter. I’m not sure how this would work either?

If your a New Analogue Nt Mini Noir owner here are a few helpful links:

Jailbreak:

GitHub - SmokeMonsterPacks/Nt-Mini-Noir-Jailbreak: Custom "Jailbreak" firmware for the Analogue Nt Mini V2 "Noir"

Bios/GameFiles to get you started:

[2021 no-intro/tosec clean romset] Hearto's 1g1r collection : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

7800 pack that is compatible with the noir, especially the original games:

Trebors 7800 ROM PROPack - 8BitDev.org - Atari 7800 Development Wiki

Great Place to find Homebrew Demos for many Noir Supported Cores:

You need to create an account for this one:

Miscellaneous Links (epforums.org)

Helpful Youtube Videos:

I'd second it at this point.  A few years ago when it was just the grossly expensive NT Noir/mini and the Neo Geo they did not a chance.

But with the NES, SNES, Genesis/MD, upcoming Duo/PC, Pocket(Nintendo/Sega/NEC/SNK coverage), the DAC, etc they could use a section. Nothing big, just one like the other hardware makers and then if needed sticky a few topics like to the jailbreaks, firmware updates, and let it fly from there.

• Like 1

I love my NT Mini Noir, but I find myself playing most games on my MiSTer these days. It’s a great piece of hardware tho, and can double as a weapon in case of home invasion. atariage_icon_mrgreen.gif

I agree with the overall build quality of the console, it really is impressive. I’ve thought about purchasing a mister. The only thing that held me back was the lack of a cartridge slot. The noir still feels like a console to me, and doubles as an FPGA machine for some of my favorite systems. I hope it continues to receive a few more updates so it has better compatibility with some of the Homebrew roms on the 7800 and other cores. It’s probably just a file header that I need to modify.

I'd second it at this point.  A few years ago when it was just the grossly expensive NT Noir/mini and the Neo Geo they did not a chance. But with the NES, SNES, Genesis/MD, upcoming Duo/PC, Pocket(Nintendo/Sega/NEC/SNK coverage), the DAC, etc they could use a section. Nothing big, just one like the other hardware makers and then if needed sticky a few topics like to the jailbreaks, firmware updates, and let it fly from there.

Indeed, there's just one topic for every Analogue system. I think Analogue deserves its own section on a retrogaming forum.

It would be nice if Analogue received its own section. I think it’s about time. You could almost name it “Kevtris consoles” and call it a day.

• Like 2

I'd love to own that NOIR, but I have the cheaper option using the same kevtris core, the NES HD Kit popped into a top loader.  I'd still rather have the noir, the top loader still at its core is using product they assembled I believe in 1993 or 1994 so it's getting up there in years.  I had one lined up, had a waffling board game piece mover time waste some weeks that put one out of reach in a nice trade which is a shame.

• Like 2

Way back when the original NT Mini launched I did some videos comparing the various versions of different games that it ran.

I ended up doing three of them, but always intended to do more. I first was a galaxian one, that's still up, but was so embarrassing that I unlisted it, a Bump'n'Jump one, and a Rampage one a year or so later. I should really do that Burgertime one I always wanted to do--now that NT Mini's audience has doubled(?), maybe its time.

I've used it in tons of other videos, but the Watara Supervision Fatal Craft review would have been *impossible* without it. I've never been able to see the Supervision screen well enough to play much less record. The oddball systems are my favorite part of NT Mini, and when Noir added Cougar Boy/Mega Duck, I was over the moon. 

I also constructed a Neo Geo to NES controller adapter, for the NT mini that has the option of putting up/down on the extra buttons. I did it so I would have a 'jump' button in moon patrol, but it also works great for asteroids, older platformers that use 'up' for jump, and any racing games that use up for acceleration.

Also for controllers, I highly recommend the Epyx 500xj--it turns out the worst NES controller is the best NT Mini controller. It was my main Atari controller, and it's nice having the NES one doing two-button mode on the 7800 core (there never was an actual 7800 version of that controller)

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 8:41 PM, Reaperman said:

Way back when the original NT Mini launched I did some videos comparing the various versions of different games that it ran.

I ended up doing three of them, but always intended to do more. I first was a galaxian one, that's still up, but was so embarrassing that I unlisted it, a Bump'n'Jump one, and a Rampage one a year or so later. I should really do that Burgertime one I always wanted to do--now that NT Mini's audience has doubled(?), maybe its time.

I've used it in tons of other videos, but the Watara Supervision Fatal Craft review would have been *impossible* without it. I've never been able to see the Supervision screen well enough to play much less record. The oddball systems are my favorite part of NT Mini, and when Noir added Cougar Boy/Mega Duck, I was over the moon. 

I also constructed a Neo Geo to NES controller adapter, for the NT mini that has the option of putting up/down on the extra buttons. I did it so I would have a 'jump' button in moon patrol, but it also works great for asteroids, older platformers that use 'up' for jump, and any racing games that use up for acceleration.

Also for controllers, I highly recommend the Epyx 500xj--it turns out the worst NES controller is the best NT Mini controller. It was my main Atari controller, and it's nice having the NES one doing two-button mode on the 7800 core (there never was an actual 7800 version of that controller)

I watched both of your videos and I definitely need more comparison videos done with the NT mini.  I've never thought of doing that.  Now Im going to be comparing the different versions of the same game while I play.  Fatalcraft looks like a fun game.  I havent made it to the Supervision yet, but I do have it set up and ready to go.  The music in that game is really annoying imo after a few minutes.  Thanks for the link to your videos!  Ive looked at the 500xj controller a few times and it doesn't look comfortable to hold or use to me, but it looks like from your recommendations it must be better than I previously thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1