IGNORED

Isn't it time for an "Atarimax Ultimate SD Multicart 2.0"? Here's some ideas on improving her.

BIGHMW

Now most of us own an Atarimax Ultimate SD multicart for out 5200 units, but, what I find frustrating about using it with her, is if I want to play a different game on her every time, I actually have to go over to my 5200 and power her off and then on again, every single time.

Now, compare this to the ease of having the Atari Flashback 9, in which has an onboard SD card slot and plays (those inferior) 2600 games. Now if you ever wanted to (shall we say) switch from playing Pac-Man 4K (for instance) to Centipede (or any other game), then all you have to do, really, is hit the "menu" button on the P1 (main) FB9 joystick controller, and select switch game on the on-screen menu, and, whala! it takes you right back to the main menu to allow you to select a different game, all without having to get off your duff.

Now imaging having @classics over at Atarimax develop a v2.0-style 5200 SD multicart that did the same thing, only with 5200 controllers with our existing units and lineups of controllers, to where the "reset" button, takes you, not just to the main screen on the game itself originally selected, but, if you hit that same reset button yet again, takes you (much like the "back" button on your PC or a CD player) the previous menu, each tiem, a step back, in the first case the menu of titles/letter they're listed under/options, etc. on the multicart, allowing us to navigate (and with ease and having not moved yet but a hand or finger on the controller) through the tons of titles on our carts.

What do you guys think of this brilliant idea, that, and also support for .xex, .car, and .(perhaps) .atr files so we can play (most provided they run under 16K RAM) the lineup of 8-bit (A8/XL/XE/XEGS) titles on our 5200s, brilliant!!!

I hope that @classics reads this and sees my idea, if not for .xex/.car/.atr support then fpr the Flashbak 9 navigation idea, I know, you think doing it loike the Ultimte Cart would be better but you DO have to hit the "crash" button on it, and that constitutes the same as power-cycling the console so that not what the FB9 idea does, n which is all done through the eisting controllers without having to get off the couch. Easy!

Thanks! "Project Atarimax Ultimate SD Multicart 2.0" would go over pretty well I think!!! I would trade mine for one or put down a deposit for one in a heartbeat!!!

Far as I know, there isn't a hard or cold reset function that can be accessed through the cartridge slot or controllers. The Reset on the controllers is only a soft reset that just resets the game and not everything else. As a result, you can't really have a way to swap games from the cart without physically powering off the console.

Don't you have and use a Harmony on the 2600?

Concerto on the 7800?

Do you not have to get up... walk over to the consoles, and press the power button when you want to reset everything to bring the menus back up and select a different game?

In fact, the Pluscart might be the only recent cart for these systems that has the ability to revert back to its menu. But it still requires using the controller in combination with the console switches to do this. So aside from powering off the console, you still have to be standing next to it. Even with this feature, I've found a few games where this feature doesn't seem to work and I still have to power cycle the console.

In fact now that I think about, most of the flash carts I own require me to be next to them and power the console on/off. Even the FujiNet and UNO I own and use on my 130xe still require me to press a button on those carts along with the reset on the 130xe to restart everything. Sometimes it doesn't work and still loads up the last program I played and I have no choice but to power cycle it still.

My point here is that if you already have to be next to the console anyway to reset the flash cart or do something then what difference does it make to just press the power button off/on to get back to a menu selection?

I guess in the case of the 5200, that is the reason I keep a small stash of 4013s on hand and would make sure the first time I have to replace on into a 5200, that a socket gets installed for future replacements to made easier.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Don't you have and use a Harmony on the 2600?

Concerto on the 7800?

Do you not have to get up... walk over to the consoles, and press the power button when you want to reset everything to bring the menus back up and select a different game?

Yes, that's because the only controls you have on those controllers are the fire buttons, the navigation of reset/start/select/on/off is on the 2600 and 7800 consoles, compared to the 5200 console in which only has the power button.

As for using Harmony on the 2600/Concerto on the 7800 unlike the FB9. in which does not work with ARM-based (and some other) games, yes, those are the reasons why I HAVE TO, use a Harmony, for games like Galagon, Gorf Arcade, and a few others in which are not supported by AtGames for any of their existing FB units. I used to use a FB9, remember earlier on during our inaugural season that I did, for most of that season, use a FB9 for the 2600 Edition of The Atari Report. It's the fact that the ARM-games (and some others) would not work on her that woke me up to get actual hardware last October 2020 when my 2002 Beetle was down and out.

You missed my point...

I was trying to tell you that the reason you have to hard power the console is because that is the only way to completely clear it to reload up the menus on the carts. The normal reset just resets the current game it last loaded up.

So you still have to get up or have ready access to the other systems to use their respective flash carts for them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You missed my point...

I was trying to tell you that the reason you have to hard power the console is because that is the only way to completely clear it to reload up the menus on the carts. The normal reset just resets the current game it last loaded up.

So you still have to get up or have ready access to the other systems to use their respective flash carts for them.

Those (the 7800, 2600 and XEGS) I DO physically have those consoles on my TV tray ready to "hard" reset (recycle) the power in case I have to change games, the 5200 and FB9 only have the lone power switch to really worry about, but who wants to haul out Big Sexy (due mostly to her size) to change games when all the other controls, other than that lone power button are on the controller? THAT, and that only, was the basis for my idea. The FB9 does this, all while not having to get up.

But who wants to play those inferior 2600 games when you can enjoy arcade quality with the others? THAT, was the reason I wanted (and got) a 5200 for my 17th birthday back in May (19th) 1983, especially after what Atari did to 2600 Pac-Man compared to the beautiful 5200 version of it.

My Atarimax Colecovision has a reset button on the top of the cartridge that takes you right back to the main ROM menu. Hitting the reset buttons stops the game you are playing and opens the main ROM menu allowing you to choose another game without powering off the system. I would love to have that same feature on the Atari 5200 Atarimax or any flash cart for that matter.

Atarimax Colecovision sd cart.jpg

Edited by XLurker
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, XLurker said:

My Atarimax Colecovision has a reset button on the top of the cartridge that takes you right back to the main ROM menu. Hitting the reset buttons stops the game you are playing and opens the main ROM menu allowing you to choose another game without powering off the system. I would love to have that same feature on the Atari 5200 Atarimax or any flash cart for that matter.

Atarimax Colecovision sd cart.jpg

Interesting...when I press the reset on mine it usually goes to a black screen and I still have to press reset on the console in order to get the menu to come back up. Or...it might come up with the insert cartridge message and then pressing reset brings up my menu. I don't think I've ever had my Amax SD for the Coleco take me straight to the menu when pressing the button on top of it.

My usual method on it is to press the button on top, and then press the reset button on the console to get the menu and select a different game.

The LTO has the ability to go back to the rom menu without power cycling the console by doing a long hold of the reset on the console which, is also nice. 

But most of my flash carts require me to power cycle the console to get back to the menu. Doesn't really bother me since the same would have had to be done originally when changing out game cartridges.

The fact of the matter is that my Colecovision Atarimax does not need to be power cycled on and off in order to access the Main Rom menu Why yours does is a mystery. Anyone else out there with a Colecovision Atarimax who can or can't access the main menu by using the reset button only, because I sure can. The only change to my Colecovision is a power switch mod I did and I don't see how that would affect the Atarimax. It doesn't really bother me either to power cycle but it is really convenient to only have to use the reset button to access other games.

I didn't state I have to power cycle my CV to get the menu. I said I have to first press the reset button on the cart, and then press the reset button on the console. If I just press the reset on the cart, then the current game will usually go to a black screen and stay there until I press the reset on the console and then I get the menu again. Sometimes it will come up with the insert game cartridge screen instead when pressing the reset button on the cart until I press the reset on the console.

But I don't actually have to power cycle the CV to use the flash cart and get back to the menu. Not like I have to with the UNO/Harmony on the 2600 or Amax SD for the 5200 and some of my other systems with flash carts.

I got my Amax CV second hand so I don't know its full history. I bought it locally several years ago from the retro shop near me who knew I was into the older consoles.

19 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Now most of us own an Atarimax Ultimate SD multicart for out 5200 units, but, what I find frustrating about using it with her, is if I want to play a different game on her every time, I actually have to go over to my 5200 and power her off and then on again, every single time.

The whole point of the OP was about having to "power her off and then on again, every single time", which we've established you don't have to do with the Colecovision Atarimax.

19 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

In fact, the Pluscart might be the only recent cart for these systems that has the ability to revert back to its menu. But it still requires using the controller in combination with the console switches to do this. So aside from powering off the console, you still have to be standing next to it. Even with this feature, I've found a few games where this feature doesn't seem to work and I still have to power cycle the console.

In fact now that I think about, most of the flash carts I own require me to be next to them and power the console on/off. Even the FujiNet and UNO I own and use on my 130xe still require me to press a button on those carts along with the reset on the 130xe to restart everything. Sometimes it doesn't work and still loads up the last program I played and I have no choice but to power cycle it still.

My point is that there is apparently, at least one Flash cart, my Colecovision Atarimax, that has the ability to revert back to its menu. My Atarimax does has the most current firmware. Have you done a recent firmware update for your Colecovision Atarimax?

13 minutes ago, XLurker said:

My point is that there is apparently, at least one Flash cart, my Colecovision Atarimax, that has the ability to revert back to its menu. My Atarimax does has the most current firmware. Have you done a recent firmware update for your Colecovision Atarimax?

I believe so. I know I checked into it a few months ago and it didn't appear there had been any updates to the FW since I did it last like a year back I think? 

I want to say I saw an earlier version of the Amax SD for the 5200 that actually had a spot on the board that looked to be a reset switch that was never populated but I could be thinking about a different flash cart. But I do remember having one with a spot for a switch that didn't exist and wondering what and why.

It is true that out of all the other flash cart I own (Genesis, SNES, NES, Sega Master System, N64, 5200, 7800 and Vectrex), the Colecovision Atarimax is the only one that allows me to access the main menu with only the reset button. Some of my other flash carts do have a reset button, but as you mentioned before, it just resets the game your are currently playing.

On 11/17/2021 at 6:04 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Interesting...when I press the reset on mine it usually goes to a black screen and I still have to press reset on the console in order to get the menu to come back up. Or...it might come up with the insert cartridge message and then pressing reset brings up my menu. I don't think I've ever had my Amax SD for the Coleco take me straight to the menu when pressing the button on top of it.

This was fixed with a 2019 firmware update. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phattyboombatty said:

This was fixed with a 2019 firmware update. :)

What is the latest FW revision and how do I check that on the cartridge itself? I will try and get the CV out soon to verify this.

I know I updated it only about a year ago and I know it still works this way as I've used it several times over the past few months. Not just on my Colecovision, but others I've serviced as well. So it wouldn't be an issue with my CV causing this since it behaves this way still with other CVs I've used it with.

On 11/17/2021 at 11:23 AM, XLurker said:

It is true that out of all the other flash cart I own (Genesis, SNES, NES, Sega Master System, N64, 5200, 7800 and Vectrex), the Colecovision Atarimax is the only one that allows me to access the main menu with only the reset button. Some of my other flash carts do have a reset button, but as you mentioned before, it just resets the game your are currently playing.

You should get the Mega Everdrive Pro. You push down and start together on the controller to bring up the on screen menu and change games along with saving and loading states. Add a set of M30 8bitdo controllers and your in gaming heaven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phattyboombatty said:

It’s dated mid-2019. Check this post and it’s thread for answers. :) 

I've not gotten the CV out yet to check but I know it was just about a year ago when I grabbed whatever the latest was available from the Atarimax site? Is that not the latest available?

The fact of the matter is that the 5200 doesn't have a hard reset function within the controller.  Even the Atari Jaguar, which I always thought was a hard reset doesn't work that way with the JagGD.

Only system I have so far that has a flash cart that allows what you're talking about is the Genesis Everdrive and the one that Terraonion made (the name escapes me at the moment) that have shortcuts back to the menu.  And even then some games seem to not work correctly with it.  For where I have the 5200 set up, it's easier for me to reach over and hit the power off and on again to go back to the AtariMax menu, than it would be for me to push the button on the cart like the CV (which I also recently got, but waiting for a Printer to show up so I can power one of the Adams I have...). 

I actually was live streaming some CV this weekend and sure enough, sometime when I press the button it will reset me to the menu. Most of the time however it will give me the insert cartridge screen and I have to press reset to get the AtariMax menu to come back up.

I believe on the live stream I press the * key I think it is that takes me to the info screen that displays the current FW on my cart. But I also took a pic of it too.

33 minutes ago, leech said:

The fact of the matter is that the 5200 doesn't have a hard reset function within the controller.  Even the Atari Jaguar, which I always thought was a hard reset doesn't work that way with the JagGD.

Thank you for stating this. This is what I was trying to say at the beginning of this and is the reason that most flash carts don't have this ability. The LTO and I guess my ED x7 for the Genesis does? (Didn't know that and not really sure how that works?). But the rest of my carts require me to power cycle the system or press a button on them to do this. Even on the LTO I still have to press and hold down the system reset so it actually takes me back to the LTO menu vs just resetting the current game I was playing.

CV_AMax_FW.jpg

31 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

ED x7 for the Genesis does? (Didn't know that and not really sure how that works?)

Yeah, not sure of how the technical bits work, but I think it's mode and C?  Or Down and Mode?  There is some combination that makes it work on the ED x7 (which is what I have in one of my Genesis..es... genesi?  :P)

Found it.  Start + Down. 

image.thumb.png.a740adc37bbe798b13dfb67c25530133.png

Ahh... now I remember why I'm not able to do this. I have the 32x always attached and I don't think the button combo for in game menus work with the 32x attached. So yeah...that means no save states. Or at least it used to be that way. I've not looked to see if there is a newer FW update for the ED x7. Don't believe so as once the ED pro came out that is pretty much where all the focus and attention from Krikzz is.

13 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Ahh... now I remember why I'm not able to do this. I have the 32x always attached and I don't think the button combo for in game menus work with the 32x attached. So yeah...that means no save states. Or at least it used to be that way. I've not looked to see if there is a newer FW update for the ED x7. Don't believe so as once the ED pro came out that is pretty much where all the focus and attention from Krikzz is.

Huh, I'll have to try it out again, as I have a 32x on mine too (got the full stacked one there, with SegaCD+32x+everdrive.  My other one just has the 32x and MegaSD, as it can do the CD games.

I have the same setup. Model 1 va2 + 32x + SegaCD model 2 in my case. I have a model 1 SegaCD in working condition and would prefer to use it, but it doesn't fit in the cabinet where I have the systems setup as it stands too tall.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 5:14 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I have the same setup. Model 1 va2 + 32x + SegaCD model 2 in my case. I have a model 1 SegaCD in working condition and would prefer to use it, but it doesn't fit in the cabinet where I have the systems setup as it stands too tall.

Forgot to get back about this...

Same as yours, the shortcut to go to the menu doesn't work with the 32x. Like they changed the reset lines to maybe be something else.

For the CV, I plugged the Amax cart into my Adam and it works there with the reset button on the cart.  Need to see if cleaning out the ColecoVision's cart slot helped at all... was getting a pink screen with the cart in... but the 'insert cartridge' message came up, so in theory the system is working okay.