IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

On 5/2/2021 at 12:21 PM, Lord Mushroom said:

I think they should just cut their losses and stop spending money on the VCS. Just make it as available as possible and thank heaven for every sale they get. At this point they would just be polishing the turd.

Polishing a turd worked for Microsoft.

20 minutes ago, leech said:

Polishing a turd worked for Microsoft.

:) 

In my opinion, they stopped polishing after XP, and started adding piss and puke. :)

Microsoft had the advantage of being the biggest player on the market. I am sure the VCS would have had a much brighter future if it already had 1 billion units sold. Also, it is much harder to polish existing hardware than software.

Edited by Lord Mushroom
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I only follow this thread occasionally.

So where's this new console from atari? Is it available in the bargain bin yet? As that's likely the only place I'll look.

From what I understand, it is not in physical stores (yet). But I think you can pre-order it online.

1 hour ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I never had Windows 2000. Maybe it was even better, I mean even less bad. :)

It was a cleaner interface, but still based on the more stable NT kernel.  XP was their first attempt at ditching the difference between enterprise level (NT) and home (Windows 9x).  Though it's funny, as their attempt at improving and adding in more things after XP was basically met with hatred in the thing known as Vista, it was mostly because Vista was a huge demand of higher spec machines for it to run anywhere near the speed XP did.  XP would happily run on 512MB of RAM, Vista 'required' at least 2GB (sure it'd actually run on less, but man was it SLOW!)

In my mind, any features they kept adding after Win2k have mostly been bloat.  A few backend things like better driver architecture is nice.  Probably the only good thing about Windows 10 is the driver architecture, and requiring a lot less reboots for updates.  But it's also kind of stupid, as there are things that you'd kind of expect to require a reboot (like a video driver) that no longer requires one, but other things that do require a reboot (like random feature updates).  But it's definitely better than the olden days, where most software would require a reboot to work right...

3 minutes ago, Keatah said:

If I could get Win10 looking like XP, then I'd adopt it more readily. Under the hood, 10 is ok. But its cosmetics and skin need a dermatologist. A whole practice full of them even!

Tried this?  Granted I think it mostly tries to make it more like Windows 7. 

http://classicshell.net/

Edit: Oops, that one is no longer in development...  https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keatah said:

If I could get Win10 looking like XP, then I'd adopt it more readily. Under the hood, 10 is ok. But its cosmetics and skin need a dermatologist. A whole practice full of them even!

Not to drag this any further off-topic, but my Windows 8.1 desktop still looks a lot like this with Classic Shell.  Windows XP can be stripped down to a very Win2K-like look simply by switching to the Windows Classic theme.

To the question in the thread about whether ANY non-IndieGoGo backers have received their consoles, the answer is: Yes, some unknown number of Australian preorders have been fulfilled, and an unknown number of AtariVCS.com preorders have been delivered. The telltale sign is that the new box with both controllers inside of it that cost non-IndieGoGo peeps $389/99 has been received by people who posted about it on Facebook and elsewhere. Hard to know how many; I've seen something in the range of a couple of dozen. 

So, Atari clearly got a shipment post-IndieGoGo, including their post-backer bundle, and have been sending it out in recent weeks. They also (apparently) don't have enough to be comfortable announcing that preorders are being shipped. So, my guess is something like a partial shipment or first of X number of shipments arrived, and the rest is stuck in the same shipping crud as the rest of the world. Who knows, though. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

Not to drag this any further off-topic, but my Windows 8.1 desktop still looks a lot like this with Classic Shell.  Windows XP can be stripped down to a very Win2K-like look simply by switching to the Windows Classic theme.

It isn't that hard, I always make my Windows look like 2K, you could not tell the difference between 2K and Win7 Ultimate, Win10 Pro is close enough to not want to kill myself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

It isn't that hard, I always make my Windows look like 2K, you could not tell the difference between 2K and Win7 Ultimate, Win10 Pro is close enough to not want to kill myself.

Ha, today I was chastised about "caring about things that don't matter" when I got pissed that MS is always trying to pull things to get people to log in via an MS email account so they can associate logins and their crappy store with an account. 

Seriously, I do NOT want to be logging into my local, non-group managed PC with an email account.  Local account or GTFO!

Sure would be nice if MS would stop that nonsense...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, leech said:

Ha, today I was chastised about "caring about things that don't matter" when I got pissed that MS is always trying to pull things to get people to log in via an MS email account so they can associate logins and their crappy store with an account. 

Seriously, I do NOT want to be logging into my local, non-group managed PC with an email account.  Local account or GTFO!

It's optional, at least in 10 Pro and above.  Home may be different, but I've never worked with Home except to replace it with Pro.

Granted, they do push the cloud login pretty heavily.  I've also seen it have no end of issues with properly syncing passwords between the local cache and Azure.

4 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I do the same.  The clean desktop and hierarchical Start Menu from Win2K is enough for me.  Windows 8 and beyond make it harder to turn off the "improvements" they've tried to add since, but at least Classic Shell—and presumably its successors like OpenShell—give back some of that control.

54 minutes ago, leech said:

They keep making it worse.  In new Windows 10 installations, the option to create a plain local account at all is hidden; as I recall, you have to go out of your way to choose the "Limited Experience" option, which I take to be their attempt to make a standalone account sound "bad" compared to a cloud account.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, leech said:

Point being, it is open sourced now as OpenShell.  You would want to upgrade in case vulnerabilities are found.

I like to live dangerously. Come see me running Firefox 56.0 and my blocked Windows Updates.

22 minutes ago, leech said:

People complain about stuff like that, then go and log into Chrome and everything else with their Google account. S'funny ?

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, leech said:

I hear yah. All this nonsense stems from the perceived necessity to get everything and everyone online and connected. It's just a tiny way of nudging you in that direction.

This belief that everything has to be connected or else isn't really the best way forward. But try telling that to the ignoramuses running big tech.

• Like 3