IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Okay, so help me out here. There is a cat getting pounded by a second cat. And the second cat is getting pounded (or an attempted pounding) by a third cat... Correct?

Dude on the top needs to wait his turn. Back in Utah, we'd call that a Dog Pile (well minus the dog part)! :rolling:

Speaking of dogs:

Yep, that seems 'bout right, lol. That was 'round a year ago, but damnit, it's funny.

All I know is that recently there were cats humping outside my office window. Couldn't tell if it was two, three, or other numbers of them going at it, but it was defiinitely cats. Humping.

I'm just glad that ours were a) inside and b) fixed in case they weren't.

Yes, but I assume the male in the back was confused somehow as to his sesxual preference! :lolblue:

We would never dream of contributing to the feral feline genepool. Like Drew Carey (and formerly Bob Barker) said at the end of every Price is Right episode, "always spay or neuter your pets..." ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Nobody mentioned the backer surveys yet? From the other thread:

I got my survey in for the vcs joystick. "Yay!" er "yeah?" :P

Thanks for backing the Atari VCS on Indiegogo! The items you pledged for will already be on your cart. The next page will take you to the add-on store where you will have to option to select any additional accessories/VCS units you would like to add to your order. After that, you will be asked to provide an address and phone number. You can come back to this survey and update your address as needed. Important Note: If you placed multiple pledges for accessories using the same e-mail, we have gone ahead and combined those orders together, rolling all of your pledged credit into one survey. You can use that credit balance to re-select those add-ons and receive one shipment. All pledges for tiers that include an Atari VCS unit have been left uncollapsed.

Sounds good, let's continue!

First, tell us about the person who will use the Atari VCS the most. They are:

Male

The age of the person who will use the Atari VCS most is:

35 - 54 years old

Where and how did you hear about the Atari VCS?

Social Media Post or Shared

What was the most important factor about the Atari VCS that made you decide to buy it?

I only bought a joystick or controller and did not buy the VCS

How satisfied are you with the pricing of the Atari VCS product offered on Indiegogo?

Not so Satisfied

If you have purchased, similar products before, which product do you use most often?

Nintendo

Are there any products or accessories related to Atari VCS that you would be interested in? (Please comment below.)

Cartridge based interface.

What are your favorite types of games and media that you are most interested in playing and watching on Atari VCS? (Please comment below.)

Arcade space shooters, maze games, and platformers.

Where do you watch most of your video content?

TV (Cable and/or broadcast)

Where do you get and/or listen to most music?

Satellite Radio

What are the most important factors when buying a new video game console?

Being able to play the latest games

How many consoles did you buy or receive in the last 5 years?

more than 2

What content or media would you most like to see on Atari VCS?

Retro Games + Content

What kind of gamer are you? If you had to describe yourself, you might say, "I am..."

A gamer

What games do you play?

Retro / Classic

What is your primary social media channel?

Other (Please specify)

AtariAge

Do you develop games?

No. I am not a game developer.

Where would you most like to see and/or shop for Atari VCS hardware and accessories?

Specialty Store (GameStop, Game, etc.)

Would you like to sign up for the Atari VCS newsletter? If yes, please provide the email you would like to receive the newsletter to!

Yes. Here's my email address:

*********@*****.com

Would you be open for a short 15-minute phone interview about the Atari VCS? If so, please enter your email below and a member of our team will reach out and schedule a convenient time with you.

No.

Would you be willing to participate in more surveys about the Atari VCS over the course of the next year? (Participants in future surveys will be entered into random prize drawings.)

No Thanks.

And apparently they overcharged me by $2 on the joystick shipping, so I have a $2 credit I can't really redeem unless I buy more crap... :razz:

It's been disappointing watching the same folk crud up this thread and not be able to vent their rage (under the guise of humor) in the main taco thread. We get it: You are not a happy person, and love to make everyone around you unhappy. The idea that someone thinks differently from you frightens you, and you act out like an infant.

I've been an Atari fan for many years, and still think AtariAge is a great resource, but it's a shame what these people have done to the forums. Call this me throwing up my hands and walking away from trying to maintain this thread. No attempt at a good deed goes unpunished here unless you fall in line with the haters.

MOD: Feel free to lock the thread.

• Like 1

It's been disappointing watching the same folk crud up this thread and not be able to vent their rage (under the guise of humor) in the main taco thread. We get it: You are not a happy person, and love to make everyone around you unhappy. The idea that someone thinks differently from you frightens you, and you act out like an infant.

I've been an Atari fan for many years, and still think AtariAge is a great resource, but it's a shame what these people have done to the forums. Call this me throwing up my hands and walking away from trying to maintain this thread. No attempt at a good deed goes unpunished here unless you fall in line with the haters.

Is there some reason you haven't expressed an equal amount of disappointment in the company that took $3M from people, many of whom probably can't afford to lose that kind of money, and hasn't even provided a minimum of updates or progress in the months since? I mean seriously, is there even a single thing this company to earn your seemingly unwavering devotion?

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 9

Nature abhors a vacuum. You want to maintain an FAQ/info page, and "Atari" doesn't supply any answers.

I'm a very happy person. I have a nice house, a nice family, nice dogs, nice job, and a nice game/arcade collection. I also like to have fun, and some of that comes at the expense of those that foolishly threw money at this bogus shell company who is unsurprisingly leaving you twisting in the wind. I sincerely hope you all get the linux box you all so richly deserve, but asking people to not be amused and point at the spectacle along the way is a bit much.

• Like 10

You are overreacting a bit much? The survey was actually something from Atari SA. I shared my survey responses.

Honestly at this point I have no hope of getting the joystick I backed.

But I won't sugarcoat it and try to tell myself it will succeed and bury my head in the sand like an ostrich.

$30 isn't too much to gamble on frivolous upstarts. $300 is... :ponder:

• Like 3

I think you chose the wrong medium for your message. If you don't want discussion, perhaps this shouldn't be on a discussion board? It would be better placed in a blog or wiki, with strict moderation about who adds what and when. Every AtariAge member has their own blog, perhaps that would be more suitable.

"specs, news, and actual information as it develops"

Well,

specs are subject to change

news is few and far between

actual information kinda depends on where you sit, because of the demonstrated (un)trustworthiness of some of the sources

You mentioned my Atari Flashback FAQ thread as an inspiration -- while I'm flattered, the circumstances are different. That was a commercially released product, already in people's hands, so there was no speculation, just verifiable facts. People had questions about how to do things on it, mostly loading ROMs. We shared information as it became available and could be verified by users.

The most qualified people to make an AtariBox FAQ would be Atari themselves. I don't understand why they don't have one of their own. The fanbase has already given them three million dollars for a dream. The least they could do is communicate better about what they plan to do with it.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ Close, but with all that motion and movement, there's more activity in that picture than there is on the "Atari VCS team". How about this?

1*XO4y9_1bE4eLuxuHpWsZOw.jpeg

(Meanwhile, at Tin Giant ... even more nothing, except sandwiches and test posts.)

It appears we have hit the next road stop. Atari Vee Cee Ess has posted an update.

So far no concrete evidence of anything, though they make a rather intelligent sounding post explaining what they are doing without actual proof.

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/the-birth-of-the-atari-vcs-operating-system-part-1-d8f43bfa0290

I am sure people can pull apart the article. While we don't yet have proof they are working on anything, we do have confirmed radio communication which is better than silence. Because the original thread is so full of jokes, tacos, and general dissentment, I figured this thread needed a bump since they have acually produced a legitimate update with details of their strategy for producing the OS.

Rob posted an unfortunate post regarding a skydiving accident.

“Can everyone make a quick team call today?”

I broke myself, I’m in the hospital… l will try to make the call.

1*qVSzfDojtxkW5i4rTq0N3Q.jpeg

“Holy crap Rob! What happened?”

Yesterday I had a skydiving accident, I hit the ground while doing a high performance ‘swoop’ landing, probably hit at about 65 mph. I have a broken femur, a cracked pelvis and compression fracture of T6, I’ll be in the hospital for a few days for surgery and monitoring.

While this is unfortunate (and i hope he has good insurance), why I get the suspicion this extravagant accident (and whatever other lavish trips or extreme vacationing adventures have ensued) was potentially funded by IndieGogo contributions? :ponder:

Anyway, communication of any kind would be considered progress at this point. Stay tuned for further updates...

• Like 1

Great update from this crack team. They have an OS booting, and have active USB ports, but "don't ask them about audio or graphics" yet. Give me a break. Stock off the shelf hardware and Linux and this is all they can do over the last what - 5 months. Colour me very impressed.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...