IGNORED

Midway Arcade Treasures

sku_u

Did anyone here get a sneak peak of the latest anthology coming out for Gamecube, Xbox and PS2?

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/433/433090p1.html

I'm really looking forward to this compilation which will include the great Arcade classic Satan's Hollow along with 19 other classic Midway/Williams games.

...and if their target price of $20 becomes a reality, this collection will be a true bargain. :lust:

Ok am I the only one who noticed this?

The final retail version of Midway Arcade Treasures will feature the following list of games:Spy Hunter, Defender, Defender II, Gauntlet, Joust, Joust II, Paperboy, Rampage, Marble Madness, Robotron 2084, Smash TV, Bubbles, RoadBlasters, Blaster, Rampart, Sinistar, Super Sprint, 720, Toobin', Klax, Splat!, Satan's Hollow, and Vindicators.  

Midway only had the PlayStation 2 version of Midway Arcade Treasures at the CGExpo, and even this version was very early; it featured a rudimentary (and seemingly temporary) menu selection where players could choose one of the 20-plus games on the disc. Only a handful of games in the collection were playable, including Defender, Joust, Rampage, Robotron 2084, Joust II, Bubbles, Blaster, Moon Patrol, Tapper, Rampage, and Satan's Hollow, but the emulation was absolutely spot-on in the games that were available.

So what the heck is up with the different lists of games? Moon Patrol? Root Beer Tapper? Are they going to be in the final version?

BTW aren't a few of those games really by Williams? Not exactly a Midway collection now is it? :D

Tempest

So what the heck is up with the different lists of games?  Moon Patrol?  Root Beer Tapper?  Are they going to be in the final version?

No, you aren't the only one, I spotted differences between the list in the first press announcement and what was listed on Midway's stand at CGE. I asked the guy there and he said things had changed since then and that they were still working on a final list even at that point. So it may well still change even now...

Midway bought Williams several years ago so the games are now theirs. One of the Midway PS1 collections included Moon Patrol and Blaster. It's the same thing that Activison does by including Imagic games on their compilations. That also pisses me off. I'm happy to have the extra games, but the purist in me is very annoyed by the practice.

Well, they're only games, after all.

I hope control isn't reserved to the analog sticks. While I'd imagine it makes Robotron: 2084 more pleasurable than the (otherwise excellent) emulation on the Williams Arcade Classics disc, I can't imagine having to control most of these games with those awkward knobs. Buttons are still good for some things, dammit! :)

I already have quite a few of these games as part of my Midway classics CD for the PSone. However, if it is sold for $20, I think I might get it since I would like to be able to save options like I did when I had the PSone. The PS2 does not save games written for the PSone as far as I can tell.

The PS2 does not save games written for the PSone as far as I can tell.
As I understand things it does, but ONLY if you have a PS1 memory card.

Yes this is a true statement.

No baloney there.

You're right about that.

Correct-a-mundo.

Yes. You can use your PS2 to delete files from a Playstation memory card or copy them from one Playstation memory card to another. I haven't backed up any Playstation memory cards to a PS2 memory card yet, but that's another thing you're supposed to be able to do with your PS2. Apparently, though, the backups are only good as archives, as they must be copied back to a Playstation memory card to be used by a game.

Midway bought Williams several years ago so the games are now theirs. One of the Midway PS1 collections included Moon Patrol and Blaster. It's the same thing that Activison does by including Imagic games on their compilations. That also pisses me off. I'm happy to have the extra games' date=' but the purist in me is very annoyed by the practice.[/quote']

Actually, Williams bought Midway, but retained the Midway name and eventually Midway became the offical title for the Williams/Midway

So what the heck is up with the different lists of games? Moon Patrol? Root Beer Tapper? Are they going to be in the final version?

I don't think I've ever seen a home version of actual "Tapper", which included the Budweiser logo in the background and whose music was from the Bud commercials of the day. ("If you say Budweiser, you've said it all...") More often it's Root Beer Tapper relabeled as Tapper, and I bet that's what this is too (either because videogame companies aren't gonna want to be pegged as promoting alcohol, or due to licensing issues.)

I'm looking forward to this collection more than most, but Tapper I'll stick to using MAME for, in the rare event I actually feel like playing it ;)