IGNORED

Qb New Technology - 3D concept demo/graphics

Andrew Davie

It's coming up on 20 years since the original '2600 Qb, and I was reminded of it today through another related item. Anyway, I got to thinking. Could the "Wen Hop?" engine be used to draw an isometric Qb screen, pretty much like the original Atari 800 version. Would it work?  So, here's a very basic "what if" demo showing a few cubes being drawn (on a parallax background, no less!) and moving around. There's a positional bug in the big-ass sprite draw system causing colour changes sometimes (it's a Y-position error getting the triplet-colours out of synch), but ignoring that... it's all pretty solid.  So, I'd say the system is quite capable of doing an isometric Qb like the original.  There's no real reason I can see why the board can't be much bigger than the screen, because we get the inbuilt scrolling using the WenHop engine.

Anyway, I just thought I'd park this here; it's a good demo of the engine's versatility. This took just over an hour to do, from idea to posting this here.

Atari 8-bit version (1984)...

154567225_ScreenShot2021-11-21at11_56_07pm.thumb.png.4a0e986f4ebad26aacb1b80fdfc14e87.png

Atari 2600 version (2003)...

1703655798_ScreenShot2021-11-21at11_57_19pm.thumb.png.79627792b8eb4c386a6fec9c6d13f4c0.png

• Like 20

8 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Here's a binary -- all you can do is watch. Or, hold RESET to restart.

This almost certainly only runs on stella at this stage...

QB3DCDFJ20211122.bin 32 kB · 1 download

The demo looks very effective. (It also runs on Gopher2600 if you turn cycle counting/enforcement off)

* cubes can be different colours (here, just 2 shown).  Each face can be one of 8 colours, including black

* The 8-colours can be changed from screen to screen... using the ICC 3-colour blending stuff.

* Faces don't have to be a solid colour - if we want (rudimentary) shapes on them, that's fine

* double-buffering implemented, so technically we should never get flicker... just slowdown.

* Timing is all over the place, but can be fixed; frame overflow is not too bad.

* press/hold fire to get random background static 

QB3DCDFJ20211123.bin.bin

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...