IGNORED

Keelog Power Supply

Greg2600

3 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Yeah, I'm bummed by this news as well.  This really looked like a decent backup power supply for my CVs.  Here's hoping that they respond positively.

Well the COLUSB is available again on Dragon Box and the shipping to NA is not extreme any more.  I just happened to see this website recently and also wished to ditch my original C64 brick at the same time.

29 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Well the COLUSB is available again on Dragon Box and the shipping to NA is not extreme any more.  I just happened to see this website recently and also wished to ditch my original C64 brick at the same time.

Thanks for the heads up re: ColUSB.  Yeah, shipping to Canada is now only EUR8.23 which is great as far as I'm concerned.  Might be time to finally pick one of these up as an alternative supply for now.

As for the C64 I ended up buying an Atom power supply from commodore4ever.net but looks like he's closed down the business.

2 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Wasn't the ColUSB the one where the outer casing melted after being used for a long time? Or maybe I'm confusing it with something else?

I think it was Crossbow who had that issue and it “melted” when left plugged into the wall adapter and not plugged into the Colecovision.

the issue I have with the ColUsB is it isn’t quite tight enough so it can wiggle in my colecovision and cause a rolling screen or other undesired performance 

43 minutes ago, zaphro72 said:

I think it was Crossbow who had that issue and it “melted” when left plugged into the wall adapter and not plugged into the Colecovision.

the issue I have with the ColUsB is it isn’t quite tight enough so it can wiggle in my colecovision and cause a rolling screen or other undesired performance 

Yeah..that was my original ColUSB when I was using an Apple iPad charger to power it and left it plugged into the charger but not into the CV. After a few hours I came back to it to find it was very hot to the touch and the outer shell had deformed but wasn't melted. After I unplugged it and it cooled back down the outer shell went mostly back to normal but the ColUSB never worked again after that. I've gotten a replacement since and it has been fine, but I'm also not using an Apple charger with it and make sure to not leave it plugged in when not in use.

On 12/20/2021 at 2:07 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Keelog has gotten back in touch with me on this and I'm to provide them with some information so that this can be corrected for others going forward.

This is great news!  A source for NEW Colecovision power supplies is needed for the community and hopefully Keelog can get this remedied.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:07 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Keelog has gotten back in touch with me on this and I'm to provide them with some information so that this can be corrected for others going forward.

What about for people that have one already - are they going to replace the units ?

3 minutes ago, xdurable said:

What about for people that have one already - are they going to replace the units ?

I don't have an answer for you on that. What they asked me was to provide them with pics of an actual plug from one of my CVs next to theirs. I instead sent them the same pics I posted in this thread with my caliper measurements. What they also advised in the email to me was that from there, they could likely make a replacement cable that I would then have to solder in place on the PSU box. But they also stated that with shipping charges what they are, they would rather go the route that I'm able to replace that part of the assembly myself vs sending it back to them for them to fix. I advised them I don't have any issues with replacing it out if they can send me a replacement cable assembly to put in. They did advise they had a very limited selection of CVs to base their measurements with and they did seem to think that there was variance with this between regions accounting for the difference. 

I've not heard anything back from them since I replied but if I do, I will update here.

55 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I don't have an answer for you on that. What they asked me was to provide them with pics of an actual plug from one of my CVs next to theirs. I instead sent them the same pics I posted in this thread with my caliper measurements. What they also advised in the email to me was that from there, they could likely make a replacement cable that I would then have to solder in place on the PSU box. But they also stated that with shipping charges what they are, they would rather go the route that I'm able to replace that part of the assembly myself vs sending it back to them for them to fix. I advised them I don't have any issues with replacing it out if they can send me a replacement cable assembly to put in. They did advise they had a very limited selection of CVs to base their measurements with and they did seem to think that there was variance with this between regions accounting for the difference. 

I've not heard anything back from them since I replied but if I do, I will update here.

Thanks - mine is in DHL's hands so I will check it against my 3 CV's when it arrives - but considering they are all North American models - it probably won't fit.

Is that true, the North American Coleco's had different components than I presume PAL? 

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

They did advise they had a very limited selection of CVs to base their measurements with and they did seem to think that there was variance with this between regions accounting for the difference. 

15 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Is that true, the North American Coleco's had different components than I presume PAL? 

Nope, not necessarily.  I have a PAL UK ColecoVision and it has exactly the same power connector on it as the North American models.  In fact, I use a Canadian power supply with it and it fits perfectly.

As I said in an earlier post, there may be a difference between European and Australian consoles and the rest of the world, but I don't have any of those to check.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote to Kellog, that the connector doesn't fit to the Colecovision. So he asked me, to send some pics of the original PSU and If I have practice in soldering.

I answered him (with some pictures) and then there was silence. No feedback!

And yesterday I received my new Keelog PSU with the redesigned connector!! No extra costs, no soldering necessary.

It fits proper into the Colecovision and it works fine. Now I could switch on and off with the power button of the PSU but I'm not sure, if it's secure for the ICs of the console.

The feeling of the (3D-printed?) connector is a bit bad. The edges are very sharp and the material is not soft.

2085027156_PXL_20220101_1917551723.thumb.jpg.8e677227609ca2c5c2b9224f9d0da3eb.jpg563855886_PXL_20220101_1916007452.thumb.jpg.dc7de7d43548d17267ce043ab6765856.jpg

On 1/1/2022 at 1:39 PM, Bomberman93 said:

I wrote to Kellog, that the connector doesn't fit to the Colecovision. So he asked me, to send some pics of the original PSU and If I have practice in soldering.

I answered him (with some pictures) and then there was silence. No feedback!

And yesterday I received my new Keelog PSU with the redesigned connector!! No extra costs, no soldering necessary.

It fits proper into the Colecovision and it works fine. Now I could switch on and off with the power button of the PSU but I'm not sure, if it's secure for the ICs of the console.

The feeling of the (3D-printed?) connector is a bit bad. The edges are very sharp and the material is not soft.

2085027156_PXL_20220101_1917551723.thumb.jpg.8e677227609ca2c5c2b9224f9d0da3eb.jpg563855886_PXL_20220101_1916007452.thumb.jpg.dc7de7d43548d17267ce043ab6765856.jpg

Interesting, I did the exact same thing and haven't heard a peep from them on this. Far as I knew, I was the first to report this but who knows? Maybe I need to reach back out to them.

On 1/1/2022 at 2:39 PM, Bomberman93 said:

Well the CV connector is not something you can find aftermarket like C64, Amiga, or Atari, so the only reasonable approach is to 3D print it.  Obviously they didn't feel investing in an injection mold.  Was this replacement connector different in construction/feel from the original one they sent you?

22 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've reached back out to Keelog to get a status on my initial report of the issue but they still haven't gotten back to me. Give them a bit more time as I'm sure they are busy.

They never sent you any replacement?

13 minutes ago, xdurable said:

I just got notification this morning that my Power supply was picked up by DHL ( ordered back on Dec 1 ) - should receive it Jan 14 - I will advise if the plug is the new one that fits or the old one that doesn't.

I imagine it's the original one, since you're in Canada, the shipment has likely been sitting in customs all this time.

12 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

They never sent you any replacement?

No... not that I've been notified of. They haven't replied to my first reply to them where I sent them my pics of caliper measurements from one of my OEM bricks yet.