IGNORED

Anyone had problems with 3DS d-pads not working properly?

I just realized there is no 3DS section, although I don't think there is a need for one.

In 2018 the d-pad on my US New 3DS XL started functioning in a strange manner, but I haven't really used it at all since then until today. Basically I have to push the down button really hard to get it to register most of the time. The other directions are fine, though. This is quite annoying, so I took it apart and cleaned it twice, but it has not changed at all. I did try rotating the membrane to use a a different contact, but still no change. Anyone else experienced this, or, perhaps more importantly, fixed it? Everything seems fine mechanically, it's extremely clean, and the membrane is perfectly intact, so I have no idea what is causing this, but it's making some games very difficult to play.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Wow! Yes! Mine is the exact same but I've found a few things that lead me to believe it is actually more of a software issue in the console than physical/mechanical issue.

I usually have mine in sleep mode and about a year to so ago, I noticed that when picking it up to start playing a game that my character wouldn't move in some directions while others were okay. I then found out that if I used the analog pad above to move and then came back to the d-pad, that the d-pad was now responding as it should be? I also found out that while a direction or two or may not register initially, if I keep moving in other directions that do work, then eventually the others will start to work and eventually work to the point as if nothing happened? Put it down for a few hours and the process seems to repeat. It has annoyed me so much that I've basically just been using the analog to move in games that support it. Lately this has been a noticed issue as I was playing through Mana.

I wonder what the cause of this is. I suppose I should probably ship it back to Nintendo to get it fixed before they stop servicing the systems entirely. I haven't seen many people mention this problem online, but since I'm not the only one, it's definitely a problem with the system design in some way and not just my system.

It didn't happen to either of my 3DSs but it happened to my Xbox One controller (I had to push extra hard directions to make them register), and I was never able to fix it (couldn't find the right screwdriver).

I recently bought a 3DS game so I hadn't played my new 3DS for a while, and the analog stick's coating broke. Fortunately it's no big deal; it works well without it and at least the plastic underneath doesn't "sweat" like the coating and most analog sticks. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Well as I stated earlier. I have the New 3DS and it started going it about a year ago that I can remember. Likely when I was playing through Metroid Fusion if I recall? Anyway, yeah anytime it has been in sleep mode or otherwise not used for a bit, the d-pads right and down directions won't register immediately. If I press and hold, then a few seconds later the characters will move in that direction. And with a few seconds later the d-pad seems to be working normally for as long as I use the system. Until I put it down again for a day or two.

I do think it is some software issue since it does work after about 10 - 20 sec of trying to use the d-pad.