IGNORED

My very first IntyBasic Intellivision game : Sasuke Vs Commander

Mik's Arcade

Hi All -

Those on the programming forum are familiar with this project, but I am finally ready to share my very first Intellvision game made using IntyBasic.

About Sasuke Vs Commander:

This is a remake of a little known 1980 fixed arcade Shoot'em Up by SNK.  It has recently been released as an 'Arcade Archive' on the Nintendo Switch and Playstation. Rather than doing a space shooter, this game took a different approach and uses Ninja!  I never saw this as a kid in the arcade but I would have loved it if I did.  The arcade game has an odd charm to it. It is not perfect either so it inspired me to remake it.

I tried to make this as similar to the arcade experience as I was able to. To address the elephant in the room, I am TERRIBLE at graphics so they are very basic.  Also, the arcade game is VERY hard. Most games, I can't even get past 10,000 points and to the second commander.  I made this version a bit easier by removing collision detection when the Ninja fly by you.  Now you only need to deal with the dying ones and shurikens. You can thank @Steve Jones for thaha...

Features

Simple gameplay - you can move left and right and press button to shoot

Endless waves of red and green ninja that Sasuke must kill to protect the life of his master!

Even in death, ninja will try to kill you as they plummet to the earth! They will continue to throw shurikens and even try to land on poor Sasuke.

6 Obnoxious commanders that will taunt and test Sasuke with their Ninjitsu arts, with up to 3 'variations' per commander

Bonus life every 10,000 points 

Bonus weapon granted if you meet the secret conditions (but don't die or you will lose it and have to earn it again)

6 levels that will then repeat until you can no longer protect your master or you just get bored and shut the game off to go play something better

The game is a bit rough around the edges and I have many things I wanted to improve, but I figured I would just share this out and get people to play it and get some valuable feedback.  As much as I tested this, it is impossible to do it all myself. If I were to continue to polish this up, I would try to redo ALL the graphics, a complete overhaul.  Then, I discovered a trick when doing the bosses I would like to include on the red and green ninja waves to make them more like the arcade.  Then, I would just really balance the gameplay and add general polish between screen transitions.

I may have written all the code and music by myself, but would have NEVER been able to complete this dream of making a game if it were not for this community.

I have to first thank @nanochess for all his work and in particular his 2 great books that were instrumental in getting me past my ideas. Really shrewed fans will notice some of his 'Pumpkin Master' in this game, as that game provided me a very valuable lesson on how to control multiple objects and states on screen at once.

Then, I have to thank the members of the community who answered all my rookie questions and took time to explain things to me in details and help me when stuck. In particular, I want to thank @DZ-Jay , @carlsson, @Zendocon and there are others I probably missed.

Enjoy everyone, I am proud of this work. It's really my christmas present to be able to share this with everyone.

Any suggestions or criticism is welcome.

I'm going to go have a beer to celebrate

sasuke.rom

• Like 19

LOL.  What's funny is, I did see that, and I meant to fix it, and I guess I forgot!!!  Thanks for reminding me. I have fixed that, but since I like it, I didn't bother posting a new ROM.  

I hope you enjoyed the game. If you get a chance and have not already, play the original. I can't even explain why, but I just love it. It is so weird and quirky. The best thing about the arcade game is that there is more vertical space to play with.

Here is a quick peek at my next game,  I spent about an hour mocking this up, and since it fits perfectly on the boundaries of an Intellivision screen, I'm going to do it. I think this will be even easier than Sasuke.

Anyone know what this is?  Bonus points if you know who designed it and what iconic games he eventuaully worked on.

bullshot.jpg

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:07 AM, Mik's Arcade said:

If I were to continue to polish this up, I would try to redo ALL the graphics, a complete overhaul. 

Hey,

This is a really obscure arcade game, that I though no one else knew !

you have done a good job porting it over ?

Regarding the sprites, if you provide me with the specs, I'm sure I can help !

In the example ↓  I assumed you are using wide pixels (or half as you say in Intelivision land), and kept the dimensions and colors limitations..

image.png.60cc78012db9b95be54159549b6a013b.png

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TIX said:

Hey,

This is a really obscure arcade game, that I though no one else knew !

you have done a good job porting it over ?

Regarding the sprites, if you provide me with the specs, I'm sure I can help !

In the example ↓  I assumed you are using wide pixels (or half as you say in Intelivision land), and kept the dimensions and colors limitations..

image.png.60cc78012db9b95be54159549b6a013b.png

thanks....I discovered this game thanks to RetroPi.  It is such a quirky spin on the fixed shoot'em ups that domincated the arcades at the time that I instantly loved it when I found it..

Yes, graphics are my weak spot.  I am starting to kick the tires on learning some of tricks to get more out of them.

I am using the standard 8x8 BITMAPs for the Sprite, and then add double Y to make them bigger. I used all the sprites to put 5 enemies on screen at once so I didn't have enough left to makes them multi-color.

BITMAP     "...XX..." '52-Sasuke Stands Still Top 
        BITMAP     "..XXXX.."
        BITMAP     "..XXXX.."
        BITMAP     "...XX..."
        BITMAP     "..XXXX.."
        BITMAP     ".XXXXXX."
        BITMAP     "XXXXXXXX"
        BITMAP     "X.XXXX.X"
        BITMAP     "X.XXXX.X" '53-Sasuke Stands Still Bottom
        BITMAP     "..XXXX.."
        BITMAP     "..XXXX.."
        BITMAP     "..X..X.."
        BITMAP     "..X..X.."
        BITMAP     "..X..X.."
        BITMAP     "..X..X.."
        BITMAP     ".XX..XX."

17 hours ago, Mik's Arcade said:

thanks....I discovered this game thanks to RetroPi.  It is such a quirky spin on the fixed shoot'em ups that domincated the arcades at the time that I instantly loved it when I found it..

Yes, graphics are my weak spot.  I am starting to kick the tires on learning some of tricks to get more out of them.

I am using the standard 8x8 BITMAPs for the Sprite, and then add double Y to make them bigger. I used all the sprites to put 5 enemies on screen at once so I didn't have enough left to makes them multi-color.

BITMAP     "...XX..." '52-Sasuke Stands Still Top 
        BITMAP     "..XXXX.."
        BITMAP     "..XXXX.."
        BITMAP     "...XX..."
        BITMAP     "..XXXX.."
        BITMAP     ".XXXXXX."
        BITMAP     "XXXXXXXX"
        BITMAP     "X.XXXX.X"
        BITMAP     "X.XXXX.X" '53-Sasuke Stands Still Bottom
        BITMAP     "..XXXX.."
        BITMAP     "..XXXX.."
        BITMAP     "..X..X.."
        BITMAP     "..X..X.."
        BITMAP     "..X..X.."
        BITMAP     "..X..X.."
        BITMAP     ".XX..XX."

Are you using one 8x8 sprite for the top and one 8x8 sprite for the bottom?

You can make each sprite 8x16 using double vertical resolution.  The sprite will take 2 GRAM cards, but use only one sprite.  You can then double-Y them to make them match the size of background cards, or 4x to double their size.

dZ.

39 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I believe there may be a terminology issue here. In constants.bas there is DOUBLEY ($0080) which makes a sprite use 2 GRAM cards, and then there are ZOOMY2 ($0100), ZOOMY4 ($0200), ZOOMY8 ($0300) to expand the sprite.

Ah, OK.  I do call it Double-Y(resolution), but I thought he meant 2x magnification, which is ZOOMY2.  Some people confuse the two, so I made that assumption.

I am using the standard 8x8 BITMAPs for the Sprite, and then add double Y to make them bigger

The double-Y does not make them "bigger," but I guess that's a terminology thing.

I also thought he mentioned that he is using two sprites per object.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Mik will have to clarify. Perhaps he treats the player as two 8x8 sprites in order to change top and bottom half independently. I don't know how many variations there are of each, or how well it work out to DEFINE two cards from ROM for the current positioning instead of keeping all in GRAM at the same time. I mean 3 top x 3 bottom are 6 GRAM if handled as two separate sprites, but 18 GRAM if handled as one 16-line sprite.

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

I believe there may be a terminology issue here. In constants.bas there is DOUBLEY ($0080) which makes a sprite use 2 GRAM cards, and then there are ZOOMY2 ($0100), ZOOMY4 ($0200), ZOOMY8 ($0300) to expand the sprite.

Yes, this is correct.  Sasuke only uses one sprite with DOUBLEY to use 2 GRAM cards.  I use ZOOMY4 for the boss commanders to make them larger than life...lol 

I use 5 sprites for the on screen enemies, one for the your weapon, and one for Sasuke himself.  I used to have 6 enemies on screen at once, so I do have an extra sprite available if I wanted to use 2 for the character so he is not all blue...lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mik's Arcade said:

Yes, this is correct.  Sasuke only uses one sprite with DOUBLEY to use 2 GRAM cards.  I use ZOOMY4 for the boss commanders to make them larger than life...lol 

Got it, thanks.

1 hour ago, Mik's Arcade said:

I use 5 sprites for the on screen enemies, one for the your weapon, and one for Sasuke himself.  I used to have 6 enemies on screen at once, so I do have an extra sprite available if I wanted to use 2 for the character so he is not all blue...lol

You may want to.  Remember that the player character is what the player is going to be staring at the most, so the cooler it looks, the better. :)

-dZ.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I have a modified Legends Flashback and while browsing the arcades titles I came across the original arcade version of your port.  Was fun playing it after playing with your version.  Both are hard.  :)

yes indeed. My version is harder for two reasons. One, because there is less vertical space, so I made up for that by letting the enemies 'clip' through you....lol.    Two, as someone has showed me in this thread how the normal Intybasic collision detection with sprites leaves some gaps.  I'll have figure out a new way to draw hit boxes or something because sometimes the bullet and enemies pass through one another.   At some point, I might try to overhaul the game, improve the graphics if I can, make the enemies come out more like the original and most importantly fix the collision detection.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Mik's Arcade said:

I've taken a bit of a break from programming but I've been lurking around the forum.

I may start up again and try to 'remaster' this game as well as get back to Fast Eddie.

What is this "may" crap?

image.thumb.jpeg.3244d65c1f437cf11c4628a659cae578.jpeg

• Haha 2