IGNORED

ABBUC magazine 147

pps

Due to some troubles (esp. this time the printing house seems to be in trouble to get paper, as @skr told us at annual (online) meeting last weekend) the physical release of latest issue of ABBUC magazine is delayed. (Again :( )

But yesterday late in evening, it was digitally released: ABBUC forum thread

The intro is available as single download, too: on pouet.net

intro147.png.902d7a0fd2661a58f1d958d2d406b6da.png

Just the pic, a little scroller and nice music by Buddy this time. Next time there is some more action on screen ;)

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spent the afternoon stuffing envelopes, Sadly not all the disks had labels so some people will be getting unlabelled disks but I think they are all the right ones.

Disappointing number of expired memberships (the expiry date is written on your envelope next to your membership number) 

I'll be getting stamps during a lunch break this week and mailing out shortly after. 

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

Spent the afternoon stuffing envelopes, Sadly not all the disks had labels so some people will be getting unlabelled disks but I think they are all the right ones.

Disappointing number of expired memberships (the expiry date is written on your envelope next to your membership number) 

I'll be getting stamps during a lunch break this week and mailing out shortly after. 

Sure hoping my membership renewal went through.  I paid my dues on Dec. 30th.

3 hours ago, adam242 said:

How does one go about renewing an expired membership? I sadly let mine lapse last year, yet still unexpectedly received issue #145

Just send the money for another year and it is renewed. You can even send money for more than a year and your membership is saved for that amount of years that match to sent fee.

4 hours ago, adam242 said:

How does one go about renewing an expired membership? I sadly let mine lapse last year, yet still unexpectedly received issue #145

I think you’ll find the information on this page:

https://abbuc.de/mitglieder/

Since, like me, you appear to be in the US, the PayPal method will be the easiest way to pay your renewal fee. I usually pay for two years at a time. 

Bob C

10 hours ago, Fred_M said:

The English translation of issue 147 (PDF) is ready and will be available soon on the Abbuc-website, of course for members only ?

Nice!

Either I missed this English availability while browsing abbuc website, or it's not promoted... this was always a deterant factor in subscriptions. I also misunderstood and believed it was print only (I tend to fall behind on forum communications).

A Request - Can anyone post a single page (readable) screenshot of a sample translated article? Not the complete article of course, just a sample of the content. I found 1 issue in archive.org but it is untranslated.

Cheers

Edited by scottinNH

9 hours ago, scottinNH said:

Nice!

Either I missed this English availability while browsing abbuc website, or it's not promoted... this was always a deterant factor in subscriptions. I also misunderstood and believed it was print only (I tend to fall behind on forum communications).

A Request - Can anyone post a single page (readable) screenshot of a sample translated article? Not the complete article of course, just a sample of the content. I found 1 issue in archive.org but it is untranslated.

I am happy that you did not found a translated issue on the internet as it is for (paying) members only ;-) Abbuc is still a German magazine, but a few volunteers are trying to translate every new issue since a few months. Translations are primarely made by non native English speakers, so I am sure there are still some errors in the texts. But I am sure that the translations are much better than for example Google translate.

Here are preview pages of issue 147. The lay out is identical to the German counterpart, only the texts have been changed.

ABBUC_Magazin147_Eng_page1_1.thumb.jpg.c28a03526a5117d4876711a393ff1b01.jpg

ABBUC_Magazin147_Eng_page_4.thumb.jpg.a134e1806df4b9d135799fa7776dc225.jpg

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As an English-speaking ABBUC member, I have found the translations to be very good. Also remember that Europeans will sometimes say something different in English than Americans will. That is not a fault of the translation. 

I became an ABBUC member to support the software contest. I never expected to be able to read the supplement so @Fred_M’s work (with the other volunteers) is very much appreciated. 

Bob C

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The US Postal Service is getting creative with the ways they mutilate the mail. Here's how my #146 and #147 arrived. Of course both disks are missing.

20220216_201242.thumb.jpg.74e8cf69d33cd0576e37e322dadd0aa5.jpg20220216_201258.thumb.jpg.bebfb3dc97c4464eeac65e4752c085c6.jpg

I was surprised to receive them at all, as I hadn't paid my renewal yet. This served as a reminder, and payment was just sent tonight.

• Sad 1

I got my magazines in a few days ago.  First time I can remember the envelope wasn't torn to hell, but one of the three disks was creased.  Such a shame - so much work goes into this, just to have the post treat it like shit.

The wife got a somewhat expensive print in today - assholes jammed it in the mailbox and put a nice crease down it.  Rates go up every year.  Level of service goes down.  I'm sick of it.  People need to start being held accountable.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, adam242 said:

The US Postal Service is getting creative with the ways they mutilate the mail. Here's how my #146 and #147 arrived. Of course both disks are missing.

20220216_201242.thumb.jpg.74e8cf69d33cd0576e37e322dadd0aa5.jpg20220216_201258.thumb.jpg.bebfb3dc97c4464eeac65e4752c085c6.jpg

I was surprised to receive them at all, as I hadn't paid my renewal yet. This served as a reminder, and payment was just sent tonight.

That's disgusting, they literally have one job to do, and they can't even manage that. I made sure the envelopes, even though thicker and stiffer then normal, still fit the rules for large flat envelopes. These were well within the size, flexibility, thickness and weight limits. 

PM me your address, I'll send you another one and as many disks as I have copies of.

• Thanks 1

I also received one of the “baggies” from the USPS. The envelope was only slightly torn and the contents were safe. Just wanted you to know that Adam wasn’t the only person to have the USPS mangle their package. 

Thanks so much for being willing to distribute the magazines to those of us in the US. 

Bob C

Edited by darwinmac
Spelling

On 2/16/2022 at 8:52 PM, Stephen said:

I got my magazines in a few days ago.  First time I can remember the envelope wasn't torn to hell, but one of the three disks was creased.  Such a shame - so much work goes into this, just to have the post treat it like shit.

The wife got a somewhat expensive print in today - assholes jammed it in the mailbox and put a nice crease down it.  Rates go up every year.  Level of service goes down.  I'm sick of it.  People need to start being held accountable.

#1 thing is to file a complaint at your local post office.

I had a DIMPLOMA folded, and filed a complaint.

I learned it wasn't one of the regular postal workers I've gotten to know over the years. ALL drivers are being squeezed like they work for Amazon, but substitutes/temps don't even know the route, yet still have to make time quota on a route with house numbers out-of-order. Shove and go, or get fired. The regulars have time to pause and read the outside of large envelopes (I work from home, and I see it). The delivery rates cost less than a bottle of  water.

If this kind of management makes people want to use alternatives, or if it sounds like a recipe to burn people out, you would be correct.

Thanks @Fred_Mfor the preview. This looks pretty good! ? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scottinNH said:

Is there a story about how the group managed to survive financially? They're obviously an outlier when UK and US clubs/publications came and went several times.

No story written as I know of. 

But I think it has a lot to do with the special situation that ABBUC e.V. is a club under German laws. It is not just a simple interest group, where some people with same interests quickly form a group and if flame of interest goes down, the group is gone. 

Every e.V. (eingetragener Verein) is a registered organization in Germany and there are many things regulated. 

But the main reason ABBUC is still there, is for sure that founder Wolfgang Burger was club leader for most of the time. He put in a lot of energy and work into our club. There are some more people, who have helped him, of course. 

We hope to last for at least some more decades ;)

• Like 2

Hello guys

Wolfgang was one of the founding members and our president for 34 years.  Sascha is only our second president.  One of the decisions Wolfgang made years ago, was that the ABBUC would not "move on" and include computers other than the Atari 8 bit computers.  Others did move on to newer computers.  And die a slow death.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

23 hours ago, scottinNH said:

Thanks @Fred_Mfor the preview. This looks pretty good! ? 

We are waiting for some problems of the website to be solved. Issue 147 in English is ready for a few weeks now, sadly it still can not be uploaded to the Abbuc website because of the problems. I hope they will be fixed soon.

We are now working on issues 144 and 145 ? 

Abbuc is not a commercial organization, so the magazine is officially a "local" club magazine and not dependent on advertising and commercial activities. Luckily Abbuc has some very active members who are creating everything just for the hobby and (of course) are not getting paid for anything.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Fred_M said:

We are waiting for some problems of the website to be solved. Issue 147 in English is ready for a few weeks now, sadly it still can not be uploaded to the Abbuc website because of the problems. I hope they will be fixed soon.

We are now working on issues 144 and 145 ? 

Abbuc is not a commercial organization, so the magazine is officially a "local" club magazine and not dependent on advertising and commercial activities. Luckily Abbuc has some very active members who are creating everything just for the hobby and (of course) are not getting paid for anything.

Last question - does membership give you access to back issue PDFs?

I intend to subscribe regardless of the answer ? Just curious.