IGNORED

[RELEASE] RASTER Music Tracker, v1.34.00

VinsCool

10 hours ago, VinsCool said:

You're welcome! :D 

Yup, I was aware of this as soon as I gave it a look yesterday.

It turns out you were 100% correct, before these changes, notes were mapped in a way that always assumed a QWERTY keyboard was used.

I solved the issue with the notes input simply by creating a new table of specifically designed for AZERTY, and I left the original table unchanged since it already took care of QWERTY.

After that, I edited the configuration to make sure it remembered which keyboard layout is being used, which could be changed from the RMT Configuration dialog at any time if wanted.

Depending on which keyboard layout is chosen, it should now always return the appropriate note when a key is pressed.

Thanks Vins :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Hey man, nice to see you again!

I remember seeing you posting health updates on Facebook recently, I hope you're doing better now 😅

Interesting coincidence about the filter, I had the exact same question asked to me earlier so I'll copy and paste the detailed reply to save myself some time, haha:

Reveal hidden contents

That worked! Awesome! 

This is what I have found.

Cmd:   666666

X:         000000

Y:         111111

Will give you the original filter sense sound that rmt had when no adjustment was made.

Y:         101010

Will give you a nice in between of the Pokey synth sound and the Commodore 64 (weeeeemoooow) 

Sound. 

Y:         100100

will give you an almost perfect Commodore 64 (weeeeemoooow) sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

Avery maybe? He might have a official solution to work with proper keyboards under windows?

Yes, in Windows by pressing ALT+SHIFT we can switch between AZERTY and QWERTY keyboard layout, but obviously this changes all keyboard shortcuts in RMT (A becomes Q, Z => W, etc.).

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 5:23 PM, DerpDerp3001 said:

Excuse me, is it possible to play the tunes on a 5200?

Possibly, but it might need to be set to different memory addresses for certain things.

I am personally not at all familiar with the 5200.

22 hours ago, DerpDerp3001 said:

I have a dumb question: is the volume control linear like the NES or logarhytmic like the master system?

it's a non-linear volume mixing curve, which is a bit difficult to balance without having your music sounding too muddy or too tinny.

However, it's pretty much closer to what you're going to get from the NES at least, just without being linear.

The NES actually has a weird mixer quirks, it's mixed in a non-linear way between certain channels, mainly the Pulse 1 and Pulse 2, and the other non-linear mixed pair is composed of the Triangle, Noise and DMC.
The 2 APU are then mixed together linearly, as far as I remember. 

Edited by VinsCool
Addendum

16 minutes ago, rensoup said:

(even though I still prefer VinsCool's which is the pinnacle of 4 channel Pokey :))

Speaking of it, the version I included with the RMT release is a little wrong, this is the module that will sound proper:

Battle Squadron Title 100hz Final Patch16 Edit.rmt

17 minutes ago, rensoup said:

How about the in game tune ? anybody ?

Maybe, sometime.

• Like 3

Just a very dumb experiment using 8xVBI playback speed:

Sketch 44 v10.xex

By sheer coincidence it will run at the correct speed without "rolling" in either region, but it was actually made using NTSC speed in mind.

Just a tip for best results: load the binary holding the SHIFT key to disable DMA.

Otherwise, the binary will still work fine, but the DLI will delay a few Driver calls in the middle of the screen, and affect sound quality.

Now I need to go back to rewriting some of my own terrible code, have a good day!

• Like 3

Hey Vin. We've been talking about the game outrun me and some of my folks originally were working on. In that thread that's subject has come up about playing a sound effect while the song is still playing in just one of the channels and then resume in after the sound is played to the song already in progress. Is this possible? If not at this point is it possible to make the code so that it does this? Please let me know and check out the poll, outrun on A8 discussion thread. Thanks Vin.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I've already replied to your message in private but I'll post the same answer here as well to make it easier for everyone.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:08 PM, Kjmann said:

Hey Vin. We've been talking about the game outrun me and some of my folks originally were working on. In that thread that's subject has come up about playing a sound effect while the song is still playing in just one of the channels and then resume in after the sound is played to the song already in progress. Is this possible? If not at this point is it possible to make the code so that it does this? Please let me know and check out the poll, outrun on A8 discussion thread. Thanks Vin.

Yes it's absolutely possible, as long as there is code that keeps track of the sfx playing, and overwrites the POKEY channel that also is playing the music, the SFX will take priority over it, and will play the SFX for as long as it is told to do it.

So in simpler terms: have the music driver run first, then the SFX code run and overwrite the channel that wants a SFX if anything triggered a SFX to play, and the remaining process will be handled by the music driver when it writes out the buffered bytes to the POKEY before playing for another frame, and be hijacked by the SFX once more, and so on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steril707 said:

Probably a dumb question, but I guess this is a strictly 32 bit app, isn't it?

Just checking out if there is any chance to get this running via WINE on my Mac.

Currently it has been configured to build as a 32bit app, yes, but I'm pretty sure it could be tweaked to compile as 64bit in a near future if there's any advantages for it.

As far as I am concerned, I've been running it in WINE on Linux (64bit) for a really long time now, and has been working perfectly since, so I don't think it would be an issue for you.

3 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Currently it has been configured to build as a 32bit app, yes, but I'm pretty sure it could be tweaked to compile as 64bit in a near future if there's any advantages for it.

As far as I am concerned, I've been running it in WINE on Linux (64bit) for a really long time now, and has been working perfectly since, so I don't think it would be an issue for you.

Not that easy, unfortunately.

Seems that this is a huge problem since Mac OS is not capable anymore of running 32 bit code since Mac OS Catalina.

Dumb but true.

Guess I will try this on my Windows work laptop then. :)

• Like 1