IGNORED

Microvaders for Atari Lynx

Songbird

So I've been play-testing Microvaders for a couple months now, along with a few other AtariAge-ers here.  I genuinely believe what Carl has put together is something special.  It's perfectly suited to the Lynx's strengths and feels great to play.  And like all the best shmups, it's awesomely addictive.  Carl took a simple, yet fun bonus game and fleshed it out with quite a bit of depth and content to create what I believe is the best shmup on the Lynx.  It's a wonderful balance between simple arcade gameplay and more in-depth console shmupping.  Of course I'm biased, but I'm sure once the game is released, you'll all see what I mean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, agradeneu said:

That is quite a bold statement ;-)

Hey, I ordered Odynexus the day it was released in the AtariAge store.  I still haven't received it 10 months later.  We can't all make it to PRGE, but those who did have had their copies for probably over a year now.  But in my mind, Odynexus is still an unreleased Lynx shmup with an impressive demo.

EDIT:  ...but if you have any of those nice gold-packaged editions left to sell me, maybe you can change my tune!  😆

Edited by PFG 9000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

Hey, I ordered Odynexus the day it was released in the AtariAge store.  I still haven't received it 10 months later.  We can't all make it to PRGE, but those who did have had their copies for probably over a year now.  But in my mind, Odynexus is still an unreleased Lynx shmup with an impressive demo.

Thanks for the support, I havent recieved my copy yet too, so we are in the same boat. 

Since I worked on graphics on both releases, I am proud of the quality of both games.

However I was not really thinking of Odynexus though, as there are great shmups on Lynx like Zaku, Robotron or Zarlor Mercenary all worth for a TOP 3 on the system.

I was super impressed with Gotcha Gun demo, if that will be released as a full game, it could be the best shmup. 

• Like 1

Gotcha Gun and Odynexus are really cool and visually stunning but a bit too easy so far. Zarlor is not at all easy but it is not very good unless you like Euroshmup bs. Robotron is an arena shooter and also doesn't play that well with Lynx controls. Zendocon is really cool but the shooting isn't really the point. Zaku is pretty unbeatable as far as scrolling shooters goes. Microvaders is one of the best fixed shooters I've played on any system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Gotcha Gun and Odynexus are really cool and visually stunning but a bit too easy so far. Zarlor is not at all easy but it is not very good unless you like Euroshmup bs. Robotron is an arena shooter and also doesn't play that well with Lynx controls. Zendocon is really cool but the shooting isn't really the point. Zaku is pretty unbeatable as far as scrolling shooters goes. Microvaders is one of the best fixed shooters I've played on any system.

Robotron is a fixed shooter (single screen). You can define MVs playfield as an "arena" and call it "Arena shooter", conveniently. 

Anyway, if you are creating special subgenres for Microvaders as you like, it is probably the best anyway, because it is the only Galaga style shmup on the Lynx.

Ruling Odynexus and Gotcha Gun out because of "easy" difficulty is the weirdest argument I read in a while.

Its not really a fair verdict, as you can play Odynexus in hard setting and Gotcha is just a demo for now.

Still, I found Gotcha pretty challenging, and I am a decent shmup player.

IMO, its  a little weird of you to start a pissing contest just because you were a tester on this game.

I worked on the graphics, not only MV, but many more like Odynexus. I know that I might be a *little* biased, that is why I would never call either MV nor Odynexus the best shmups on Lynx.

From a technical and artistic level, Zarlor and Zaku are probably the most impressive on the system, by a long shot.

Gotcha Gun is pretty close though.

I think Microvaders is cool, but it surely is not a hardware pushing showcase, despite its merits and charme.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

I apologize for starting drama.  I wasn't intending to bash any other games at all.  I was only meaning to prop up Microvaders, although I realize the natural implication of that is to diminish the competition.  It's tempting to go into detail about why I think Microvaders is the best, and I do stand by my statement, but I don't want to risk a flame war when we should be celebrating new releases.

• Like 2

Robotron is not what most people consider a shmup. It also just doesn't play great on the Lynx.

I like Odynexus a lot. It is certainly very impressive and I am looking forward to seeing it in the high score club next year assuming it continues to do well in the poll. I haven't gotten to play it enough yet, which is why I said so far. Obviously Gotcha Gun is an early demo.

I'm not talking about graphical splendor, although Microvaders is a really good looking game with some very neat effects. Zarlor is a much more visually impressive game but not a better playing game.

I don't rank Microvaders highly because I tested it, I ranked Microvaders highly because I have played it a lot and I think it's really great :)