IGNORED

Atari branded mouse and keyboard?

Rob Merritt

11 hours ago, Rob Merritt said:

Any word or rumors if there will be Atari branded Keyboard and mouse for the VCS and PCs in general?

Would love to see a set from Power A and Atari that matches the aesthetic of the console and controllers. I don't think the installed base/interest is there to make it worth the effort but it would be cool.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Would love to see a set from Power A and Atari that matches the aesthetic of the console and controllers. I don't think the installed base/interest is there to make it worth the effort but it would be cool.

Marketing it for any PC would help with the customer base.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AlecRob said:

Atari should partner with UNICOMP in Lexington, Kentucky for their keyboards.  pckeyboard.com 

they make the best keyboards today as far as i'm concerned. the new model M & black classic rocks, and matches the VCS perfectly

I love their keyboards. Really well made and just like the IBM keyboards I remember from the computer labs. Unfortunately I have a bit of carpal tunnel so I am relegated to use an ergonomic keyboard. But I would consider an Atari-branded set for use on my VCS for sure.

I previously spoke with a Youtuber about  a keyboard and mouse/hybrid for the VCS.  I use a trackball keyboard that is very old, but I still enjoy using it for an HTPC.  Trackball keyboards have always been a rare product line, it seems.  They can get quite dirty and track poorly as a result.  Perhaps they are more costly to manufacture.  I never really had that problem, as I  routinely clean the keyboard.  I somewhat liked the design put up by "Bogdan Chorub" (per the credit noted in a 2018 Atari Age VCS magazine I found in archive.org. I will attempt to attach some images shortly of my trackball keyboard, along with his design images to serve as a general engineering idea I'd like to see for Atari to offer a fusion of keyboard/mouse just as the VCS is a hybrid itself of a PC/Console ecosystem.  Selfishly, I'd prefer Atari go further and distinguish it as a gaming peripheral featuring a sensitive or adjustable trackball to play frantic games like Centipede.  I'd also put a spinner bezel around the trackball with the signature orange outline to play games like Breakout or Major Havoc.  These features could provide a whole new set of game possibilities for aspiring game devs.  A keyboard like this could be quite expensive if it included such a great design, ergonomics, trackball and spinner both with high-polling sensitivity, and maybe rumble haptics.   A trackpad could be implemented if Atari prefers to minimize complaints although this would severely limit the gameplay aspect possibiliities I've proposed, rendering the device less useful, and arguably less fun.  I'd make it Bluetooth with USB of some sort to charge or keep hard-wired for customers who prefer this.  Maybe micro-usb if the cost of usb C is that much more, to keep costs down.  They could try to sell it for no more than $100 and allow it to periodically go on sale for $10 to $20 off to entice users to try it out.  If made well enough, it could revolutionize gaming.   I think there is now a keyboard for the Xbox, so their might exist a niche market here for Atari to justify one.  I believe I've heard that PC gaming is growing much more as many have been forced to stay home.  Companies like Capcom and Sega have indicated they are interested in focusing future titles to the PC.  In today's day and age, companies can team up more easily than before with other companies to make add-on hardware, and those manufacturers don't have to disclose their branding if it fails to take off so there is less of a chance of negative press towards that brand.  Logitech is one of the best at keyboard & mice so they could ask them.  Atari will go around in circles and not take off if they don't want to take small risks like this.  Modern companies are taking a way too conservative approach nowadays, and that is stagnating innovation in my view.  I have many more ideas I think Atari could implement to become more successful & perhaps I'll note some on this forum at some point.  

Bogdan Chorub - Ataribox - 1.jpg

Bogdan Chorub - Ataribox - 2.jpg

Bogdan Chorub - Ataribox - 3.jpg

Bogdan Chorub - Ataribox - 4.jpg

WKB-3000UB.jpg

• Like 11

I like them too.  Although I would like a bit of a curved look, like the bottom track ball keyboard, with great ergonomics and light weight.  Atari should release a color scheme for the vcs and its controllers that are like call back to their computer line mixed w/modern spin.  I'd do a shiny greyish metallic color (not too dark and maybe closer to a "whitish" grey.  it is another thread I've been thinking of starting if not already done by someone. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, leech said:

Every time I look at it, I think of the Atari 400.  I'd buy this ha ha.  Though it needs a Fuji instead of the Wavy Window keys.

I'd buy an XL/XE/ST styled keyboard or even one based off the 7800 keyboard,  but the the 400 keyboard with all its browns + oranges just gives me bad 70s flashbacks. ?

• Haha 3

On 1/9/2022 at 2:58 PM, Linux_Lover said:

Selfishly, I'd prefer Atari go further and distinguish it as a gaming peripheral featuring a sensitive or adjustable trackball to play frantic games like Centipede.  I'd also put a spinner bezel around the trackball with the signature orange outline to play games like Breakout or Major Havoc. 

The Playdate has sold very well as a result of offering new gameplay inputs. While trackball and spinner are not new per se, they are very compelling and may really surprise those who have not tried them. I would pay easily $125 for a device like this.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 4:56 PM, Linux_Lover said:

I like them too.  Although I would like a bit of a curved look, like the bottom track ball keyboard, with great ergonomics and light weight.  Atari should release a color scheme for the vcs and its controllers that are like call back to their computer line mixed w/modern spin.  I'd do a shiny greyish metallic color (not too dark and maybe closer to a "whitish" grey.  it is another thread I've been thinking of starting if not already done by someone. 

A lot of keyboards in the 90s were designed like that with the trackball especially on laptops that you don't see anymore. Unfortunately a lot of companies have done away with ergonomic keyboards for slimmer, more aesthetic designs.

On 2/26/2022 at 6:04 AM, Rob Merritt said:

I’m still not happy with the results. I’m going to attempt a new one in a few months. The wood grain space bar was terrible. It wouldn’t stay on.

9A239E96-5B05-4E8F-9822-49214805B82E.jpeg

That looks like the Carbon keycaps I was looking at.  I like the old Atari 800 keyboard and was looking for maybe brown keys with large letters like yours and maybe orange/yellow function keys which would work well with the atari800 emulator.  But I've never found the right keycaps.

I also like the 7800 keyboard, maybe something like that in greys but with a custom Atari escape key.  I wish Atari would just release a nice keyboard/mouse set.

7800_keyboard_large.jpg

s-l1600.jpg