IGNORED

Atari VCS operating system won’t update. Help!

DoesItMatter

2 hours ago, LevelUp said:

i fired up my VCS today ,I used it a week ago ,that update loop is back ,i fixed it a couple months ago and its stuck in a endless loop of downloading 4 and restarting over and over ,this is a real bummer ,anyone one else having this issue ?

2 hours ago, tuf said:

I have zero doubt that if I turn mine on it'll do the same thing.  Just restored the whole thing a couple of months back.

26 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Mine did the same thing. I unplugged it to turn it off. Yesterday when I turned it off again it started the download again. I was putting my kids to bed so I did not wait, but when I went back later the system was all the way off. I hope that the update was completed.

If your VCS gets stuck in a loop and keeps rebooting, unplug it when it reaches step 2 of the process.  Wait 30 seconds and plug it back in.  It may update one more time but you will then be out of that loop.  The new OS that is coming later this summer is supposed to fix many of the issues of the current build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

If your VCS gets stuck in a loop and keeps rebooting, unplug it when it reaches step 2 of the process.  Wait 30 seconds and plug it back in.  It may update one more time but you will then be out of that loop.  The new OS that is coming later this summer is supposed to fix many of the issues of the current build.

thanks for the tip ,it worked ,unplugged at step 2 ,no problem 

For the people who get in the update loop,  are you using a boot manager like grub or refind or just a vanilla configuration?

Supposedly the EFI partition that ends in 1 is the one that triggers the updater,  but for me it seems like sometime these two partitions switch places.

Like for instance, mine will sometimes start doing the upgrade loop, and I go into BIOS and select the "1" partition it boots fine instead of triggering the upgrade.

I'm trying to understand why this happens so I could use Grub or Refind for booting properly

1 hour ago, leparfait said:

Hello , I have several VCS 2018 , but one does not want to finish its update ( around 80%) and refuses to open my profile . The only OS image I found is from 2020 . Is there a link for an image of the last OS 2023?   thank you .  Kenavo .

Maybe start here, it's directions from Atari support.   

The link in the discord points for OS image points here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/18h01VknAi8eFsCFxeEe2DiCMo1XoT6Y9/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 3:57 PM, davpa said:

Hey, I’m sorry for your updating woes, certainly not what we want you to experience. It seems that older versions of the AtariOS is just having issues updating when it might be a large jump in version numbers to catch-up to the current build. Here is the link to the latest version of the AtariOS with the bios upgrade 24 option: Current AtariOS build and BIOS install

This is not update, but the latest production version for users who need to re-install. Download the file, flash it to a USB (using Etcher or Rufus), then plug in the USB to a turned off VCS. When the VCS boots the flashed USB will kick in and install a fresh copy of the OS.

I apologize for this extra step to have things working, but this will fix everything in most cases.

Hi,

I am in the same boat. New VCS received this week, nothing starts, update failed (after BIOS and controllers updated). I used your image to flash teh system which was successful (2021 OS) but the issues are the same.

The link to the current build you posted is no longer working. Can you repost this so that I can update to a current version?

Right now, I cannot start anything, loging goes into endless loops, the controllers only work wired, every restart all settings are forgotten... Uff..

On 6/18/2023 at 4:12 AM, Kyne said:

Hi,

I am in the same boat. New VCS received this week, nothing starts, update failed (after BIOS and controllers updated). I used your image to flash teh system which was successful (2021 OS) but the issues are the same.

The link to the current build you posted is no longer working. Can you repost this so that I can update to a current version?

Right now, I cannot start anything, loging goes into endless loops, the controllers only work wired, every restart all settings are forgotten... Uff..

Sorry, I don't seem to be able to edit my original post with that link.  As @RadiATIon stated, the new update file is found https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ru8o6IObMlm34tAWXSHvSJVd72rUD5ps/view?usp=sharing =sharing

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, KevinFlynn said:

Hello all.  I recently purchased a VCS and am having this problem same problem for updating.  I went to the google drive link, but it's no longer up.  Does anyone know where to get the current latest OS image?

Always the same link : 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ru8o6IObMlm34tAWXSHvSJVd72rUD5ps/view?usp=drivesdk 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to share my experience: the update loop (the "soft" one: unable to update but I could use the system with the annoying "Something went wrong" popups) was on my OS from 2021 present as well. With some googling I found the Discord group, downloaded the image, put on USB (simple 'dd' in Linux does its job, too btw) and booted the VCS. No need to do or press anything, no need for keyboard, after a while it starts the first menu entry by itself (i.e. the OS update).

After that, no issues.

I find the google drive link solution quite unfortunate, while looking for solutions I found (and downloaded...) two other images; and since there is no date/time information even in the filename, it was hard to judge which one to use. Fortunately I was smart enough to boot the one from Discord in the end, i.e. the latest one (May 2023).

• Like 2