IGNORED

Modern Games you quit in 2022

Razzie.P

In the “modern games beaten in 2021” thread, someone joking asked if it counts if we gave up on it.  I thought that could be interesting.  We all like to gripe and vent, so what the heck ---

What are the games you gave up on / quit in 2022, for whatever reason?

1)   Sekiro (PC)

I picked this up during a Steam sale and figured it was finally time to give it a shot, since I’ve loved everything else that From Software has given us.   But after 3 restarts, probably about half way finished on my 3rd, I finally say “f**k it.  Not wasting my life on this thing”

I didn’t find it to be nearly as difficult as others seem to believe, since the bulk of my playthroughs was sneak and 1-hit kill everything.  Even the bosses weren’t that bad, since they always seems to have some sort of “trick” to make them pushovers.  (maybe it gets more difficult later, I dunno)

Mostly, though, even though it wasn’t clicking with me, I think the killing point was some technical issues.  Half the time, it’d play super smooth.  The other half, it would run like a slideshow, and the “official” fix is to roll back video drivers to older versions.  So, nope… 

I may come back to it as some point wayyy down the road.  But for now, F this game.

• Like 1

I seem to quit about 90% of the modern games I try out (mainly through Xbox Game Pass).

I don't care for the modern style of most indie games, especially the forced retro pixel graphics styles.  Others have concepts which are simply BORING (the Lake, Firewatch, Unpacked...) and seem to be made to simulate routines for gamers who lack any outside jobs or activities.  Then we have the usual collect-a-thons (cards, characters, skins) which I guess are substitutes for the lack of physical collections for today's youth.

Perhaps I'm too old and no longer the demographic for these games.  I just don't connect with the majority of them.
I think many of them are made to simulate work and activities that kids who are addicted to social media today crave.

Thank goodness we still have our original Atari games to play while the industry implodes. 

• Like 4

The most recent ones were the God of War clone Castlevania games on PS3. I like God of War but those were not that great.

Divinity Original Sin Part 1, unlike part 2 this one isn't all that great. I normally love games like this even if they're bad but this one was just boring.

I almost stopped playing Horizon Zero Dawn, I technically beat it but I did nothing but the main quest. About 1/4 of the way through I was like this is rubbish but I can easily beat the main game, might as well.

6 hours ago, cimerians said:

The most recent ones were the God of War clone Castlevania games on PS3. I like God of War but those were not that great.

I loved the fist one.  ?  Like.. it was one of my favorite games from that gen.   I got that it was a GOW clone, but the setting and character were much more to my liking than Kratos.  For some strange reason, though, much as I loved the first one, I haven't had the drive to start part 2 yet.

6 hours ago, cimerians said:

Divinity Original Sin Part 1, unlike part 2 this one isn't all that great. I normally love games like this even if they're bad but this one was just boring.

Here's another what I loved part 1 but haven't started part 2 yet.  I was under the impression that 2 was gonna be "more of the same."  I take it that's not the case?

Ion Fury

I got this during the Winter Steam sale as it was in my wishlist for what seems like forever. I enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D and I figured “what’s not to like?”.  I tried it and in about an hour uninstalled it. I found I just wasn’t into this style of FPS anymore, have been brainwashed by modern FPS standards since the original Xbox.

Now I’m hoping not to give up on Zelda:BoTW on Switch as this is the third time I’ve started over (two on Wii U) and I have to say it feels more like a chore to get where I was the first go round.  

On 1/16/2022 at 2:45 PM, Razzie.P said:

I loved the fist one.  ?  Like.. it was one of my favorite games from that gen.   I got that it was a GOW clone, but the setting and character were much more to my liking than Kratos.  For some strange reason, though, much as I loved the first one, I haven't had the drive to start part 2 yet.

Here's another what I loved part 1 but haven't started part 2 yet.  I was under the impression that 2 was gonna be "more of the same."  I take it that's not the case?

I would have tolerated CV and probably finished it back when it came out....but I think I'm just late with this. Maybe I'll go back to it again someday...maybe. 

My story with Divinity is this: My friend kept telling me to play it, I thought he meant the 1st but he really meant the 2nd. So when I started playing the 1st game I got pretty deep into it but it got to the point where it became too much of a slog (really slow getting anything done). I was pretty disappointed because I really liked it but just kind of got bored with it 'cause it was taking way too long. I wrote him back and asked him a question which I cant remember and he sent me a screenshot of the second game. I was like "I’m playing the first game", he’s like "oh I never played it I only played the second game". sigh....

After reading up the reviews on both it seems the second game is a lot better and they've cleaned up what people complained about in the first so yeah I think it’s more of the same but probably just a LOT better. lol. I'm definitely going to play Divinity II someday

2)  Darksiders 2 (PS4)

This one is kind of a shame to quit, because it seems extremely fun and exactly what I'm in the mood to play right now.  But playing the PS4 version on PS5 is a headache inducing mess.  Frame rate is awful.  I've read a ton of complaints about this where it seems "boost mode" might fix it on PS4 pro (some users swear by it, others say nay), but I don't have that anymore and don't see an equivalent on PS5.  

I dunno... if anyone has any experience with making this thing not feel like crap, please share and I may come back to it later.  Or maybe a different version runs better?  For now though, I think I'll move on...

... part 1 runs so great.... k... moving on

13 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

The new hot wheels game. Pile of rubbish.  Bought it new at full price and feel ripped off.  

Yeah, I'm almost there with ya.  I haven't quit yet, but not sure how much longer I'm gonna give it to see if it clicks.   My main gripe so far has been the difficulty balancing.   On Easy, I immediately take the lead and never see anyone again = no fun.  Bump it up one notch to medium, and they immediately take the lead and I never see anyone again = still no fun, but now I've lost the race and feels like a waste of time ☹️

I've actually returned and completed a good few PS4  games I quit in 2021,in 2022. 

Mad Max

Batman Arkham Knight

Far Cry New Dawn (today) 

Going to return to Terminator Resistance next. 

Only ones I really gave up on were.. 

Sekiro. 

Zombi 

Though  i have a feeling Terminator is going to join the above pair ?

Let's see, let's add the following to this list:

* The Pedestrian (boring puzzle game / more style than substance)
* Mighty Goose (almost had potential, but the forced pixel graphics and crazy explosions and shrapnel obscure gameplay too much. Less is more)
* Cluster Truck (Boring, boring, boring)
* Cyber Shadow (modern Ninja Gaiden ripoff.  Too difficult for its own good)
* Aragami 2 (Tries to be Tenchu .... fails miserably in every aspect.  Get spotted and you're as good as dead)

* Golf with Your Friends (Mini golf is fun, but somehow this game gets the formula completely wrong.  I forced myself to finish one round and honestly it was like torture completing some of the holes)

Deathloop (PS5)

I really love the developer Arkane Studios which created Dishonored 1 & 2 as well as the modern Deus Ex games...

Deathloop at first confused me with it's day/night thing and replaying levels to unlock secrets and doors...and then after a few hours I kinda "got it" and started enjoying it.

...and then the game just got stupid difficult, especially when playing stealth which is what I like to do in their games. Too many enemies with the super natural ability to spot you from 100 yards away. And because the game punishes you for dying too many times, it started to become a grind. I really wanted to like it... but overall it's just a weird not-quite-rogue-like game that had potential, but ultimately is just too high concept for me to really finish. 

• Like 3

I quit Metroid:Dread... and I've yet to get back to BOTW on WiiU since I cold never get passed the boss in the dessert area with the lightning bolts and .... yeah apparently I haven't the reflexes anymore. I know there are others but I do hope to get back to them at some point.

2 hours ago, Metal Jesus said:

Deathloop (PS5)

I really love the developer Arkane Studios which created Dishonored 1 & 2 as well as the modern Deus Ex games...

Deathloop at first confused me with it's day/night thing and replaying levels to unlock secrets and doors...and then after a few hours I kinda "got it" and started enjoying it.

...and then the game just got stupid difficult, especially when playing stealth which is what I like to do in their games. Too many enemies with the super natural ability to spot you from 100 yards away. And because the game punishes you for dying too many times, it started to become a grind. I really wanted to like it... but overall it's just a weird not-quite-rogue-like game that had potential, but ultimately is just too high concept for me to really finish. 

Ah, that’s a bummer.   Quite a few times, I’ve stumbled across all the praise and high scores for this one and thought “now’s the time to dive into Deathloop,” and then I see something similar to what you mentioned and think “...maybe not”

On 1/14/2022 at 10:46 AM, Leonard Smith said:

I seem to quit about 90% of the modern games I try out (mainly through Xbox Game Pass).

This is one reason I don't like the idea of Game Pass or EA Access and similar things.

I've noticed I'm far more likely to complete a game if I paid for it.  Games I get for free or offered as part of a service I might download just to check out, but I usually don't return to them after the initial try.    And I don't feel bad about it like I would if I paid for the game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zzip said:

This is one reason I don't like the idea of Game Pass or EA Access and similar things.

I've noticed I'm far more likely to complete a game if I paid for it.  Games I get for free or offered as part of a service I might download just to check out, but I usually don't return to them after the initial try.    And I don't feel bad about it like I would if I paid for the game.

Agreed with you there.
I like the 'all you can eat' model of GamePass, but I did the same sort of thing back when emulation took off in the late 1990s.  The selection was almost too great, and I found my attention span towards gaming beginning to wane.  Slippery slope there, as you lose appreciation and the willingness to invest and persevere with some games.

• Like 2

3)  Shadow of War (PS4)

I might change my mind later, I dunno, but I think I just quit Shadow of War again.

I love the first part.  I’ve played through multiple times, got the platinum.  Everything about it won me over.  But part 2… ugh… I bought it at launch and quit because it was a mess.  The developers said “we hear ya… we’re fixing it.”   And from all that I’ve seen, they fixed a few things so I figured I'd give it another go.

And yeah, its way better.  But its still such a slog, I’m not sure if its gonna click with me despite doing so many things it does well.

Some of the BS in this game just from my recent (maybe final play) – I was ready to fight an orc.  So it goes to its usual UNSKIPPABLE cut scene where the orc trash talks me.  Ok… not a huge deal.   As soon as it ended, a second cut scene from a different orc.  Then a 3rd.  Then a 4th.   I sat through 5 back to back mini cutcenes before I could play anything.  Fought the dudes, killed the final one who dropped some loot to pick up, but another cut scene happened immediately after killing the last one and when the cut scene ended… loot’s gone.

I worked my way to a mission, only to find out that the “mission” was simply to watch 2 AI orcs fight for a few minutes.   I couldn’t skip it.  I couldn’t speed it up.  Just had to sit there and wait.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:19 PM, cimerians said:

I would have tolerated CV and probably finished it back when it came out....but I think I'm just late with this. Maybe I'll go back to it again someday...maybe. 

My story with Divinity is this: My friend kept telling me to play it, I thought he meant the 1st but he really meant the 2nd. So when I started playing the 1st game I got pretty deep into it but it got to the point where it became too much of a slog (really slow getting anything done). I was pretty disappointed because I really liked it but just kind of got bored with it 'cause it was taking way too long. I wrote him back and asked him a question which I cant remember and he sent me a screenshot of the second game. I was like "I’m playing the first game", he’s like "oh I never played it I only played the second game". sigh....

After reading up the reviews on both it seems the second game is a lot better and they've cleaned up what people complained about in the first so yeah I think it’s more of the same but probably just a LOT better. lol. I'm definitely going to play Divinity II someday

DOS2 is infinitely better than the first, IMO because you can be a lizard... heh

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Keatah said:

Counterpoint. If you are paying full price or good money for game, isn't it more likely you researched it and made sure it's something you really want?

That's true too,  to a point.

When I got my PS4, back in 2014,  there wasn't a whole lot released for it yet.   So I bought a few of the games that were out for full price or close to it:  Need For Speed: Rivals,  Lego Marvel Super Heros and Knack.

Knack is a game that has a low metacritic score, a lot of people deride it.    But I thought it was lots of fun,  I kept wanting to see what's next and completed it.

NFS Rivals is not near the top of the list of best NFS games, but I still put hours into it.

Never was a huge fan of the Lego games, but Lego Marvel seemed different.   Played it for hours with my kids.  I only bought it because there wasn't much else

EA keeps putting their latest NFS games on sale for less then $10,  and I keep buying them on the cheap, but none of them have been close to as much fun as I had with NFS Rivals.

And I look at my PS4 library now, and it's loaded.   Games I bought, free games from PS+, games I got on sale.  And yet I have trouble finding something to play,  I'll try things but not follow through,  keep returning to the same favorites.

I think the actual problem is an abundance of content rather than the price.   It's like the Springsteen song "57 channels and nothing on".   I remember the days of 12-channel VHS.  You could always find something to watch.   The more channels they add the more I scroll through the channel menu and don't find anything that grabs me.   Same with games the fewer options available the more you will value what you have.   I try to play them and always get the feeling that I could be getting more enjoyment out of something else. 

MAME rig covers about 200 games ranging from 1976-to-1994, essentially the hits I played in the arcade. With the exception of DoDonPachi. To have the full supported library instantly available is overwhelming and hinders those lazy searches. A "lazy search" is what happens when you're browsing favorites in a genre, but not sure what to play. Then you find something and drill down into it for the evening.

Conversely with Apple II, having all of Asimov instantly available doesn't hinder anything. Tend to think it's because I'm very familiar with it all. Having had it since the 1970's. Ironically I don't get too excited for modern homebrews on that platform. Not sure why. But I'm all over the tools and utilities that make working with the old stuff easier. Especially when they add versatility, like floppy-emu, or ciderpress, or anti-m.

Thing that bothers me about modern gaming is it's all so fleeting. And it's just one thing after another after another after another. No sense of permanence or baseline. No sense of establishment or being part of the culture. And the industry just keeps shoveling it out.

Back in the day we'd appreciate each cartridge release and enjoy a trip to the store with all its ensuing anticipation and wonder. A new game! Wow! Today? Stream it.. blechh!!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

The more channels they add the more I scroll through the channel menu and don't find anything that grabs me

I wonder if that's not due to thinking the next option popping up is going to be better. That also tells me the previous options are crap to begin with. The shovelware mentality.

47 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Back in the day we'd appreciate each cartridge release and enjoy a trip to the store with all its ensuing anticipation and wonder. A new game! Wow! Today? Stream it.. blechh!!

Our “back in the day” experiences were quite different. ?

I lived pretty far back in the sticks, so for me, “each cartridge release” was seeing it in a Sears catalog, ordering it, waiting a few days, calling the Sears pickup location to see if it was in yet, then trying to find someone willing to give me a ride to pick it up.  This was about a 2 hour trip.

Took me about 2 weeks to finally get Golden Axe in my hands, and a LOT of walking the neighborhood seeing if anyone happens to be making the trip so I could bum a ride.

There was no appreciation there.  If given the option to just download it, the “physical cartridge buying ritual” could kiss my ass. 

The other side of that was already being at the store and just buying based on the box art.  Well, and because those few titles on the shelf was all you had to choose from.  Again, no waxing poetic appreciation… just a case of “I has money…. You has game… let's trade.”

I tend to equate services like gamepass to our “back in the day” game renting, though.  Not a substitute for buying anything.    Back then, $5 for a weekend for 1 game (at least in my area).   Now, for the price of 2 games for a weekend, you get access to a crapload of games for the month that range from absolute crap to top rated.  Its not for everyone, for sure.  Heck, I'm not even sure if I'd say its for me.  But the kids play a lot of crap games on there that I'm glad I didn't have to buy, and occasionally, I'll try something that'll win me over, so its working out, I suppose.  

Right now I'm playing a zelda/ys type of game where you play as a crow with a lightsaber who happens to be a Grim Reaper.  ?   So far, its amazing!  But I'm not sure I would have bought it otherwise, to give it a shot.  It's called Death's Door, in case that dumbass premise appeals to anyone.  And yep, I recommend it based on my few hours of playtime so far.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1