IGNORED

Modern Games you quit in 2022

Razzie.P

58 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Thing that bothers me about modern gaming is it's all so fleeting. And it's just one thing after another after another after another. No sense of permanence or baseline. No sense of establishment or being part of the culture. And the industry just keeps shoveling it out.

Back in the day we'd appreciate each cartridge release and enjoy a trip to the store with all its ensuing anticipation and wonder. A new game! Wow! Today? Stream it.. blechh!!

Definitely relate with you on this as well.

Back in my day, legendary status was bestowed on those who finished particularly difficult games or friends who figured out rather ambiguous goals and mechanics of those early games.

I remember hearing the incredulous tales in the school playground about how Chris beat Dragon Warrior AND Hydlide on NES.  Or how John finished Solaris on the 2600.  And then there was Shannon who somehow managed to figure out the bizarre Bandai Dragon Power on the NES and explained how to go about deciphering its cryptic gameplay, which then opened up some actual fun to be had with the game.

Getting inside tips and in person summaries of how these mighty games were toppled was part of the fun.

These days, you play through a game.  Or not.  Maybe go back and get a few easy achievements.  And then it's on to the next.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

There was no appreciation there.  If given the option to just download it, the “physical cartridge buying ritual” could kiss my ass. 

The other side of that was already being at the store and just buying based on the box art.  Well, and because those few titles on the shelf was all you had to choose from.  Again, no waxing poetic appreciation… just a case of “I has money…. You has game… let's trade.”

We didn't quite wax poetic or gush like a groupie. Not quite that. Except for a few select games. Space Invaders on the VCS. That was a surefire hit. And it was my favorite version of the game. The arcade was too difficult and not in color. Nor did it have 112 variations!

The physical cartridge ritual (the buying of roms packaged in plastic boxes for consumers & kids) was all we had in the 1970's and early 1980's. That we didn't have to buy a new console to get new games was flabbergastingly astounding! Felt like I discovered some big secret in consumer purchasing. The choice was crystal clear.

At the time it wasn't so much a ritual but more of an adventure with a format that remained the same from experience to experience. McDonalds, shooting off model rockets, traffic jams, worrying that the car would start, evening TV full of superheros and Sci-Fi or those Glen A. Larson productions, R/C cars, frozen TV dinners, was typical stuff that stuff happened on cartridge day.

Eventually as I learned what programs were and got into computers like the Apple II and Atari 400/800 - diskettes showed up on my radar. So much more capable and versatile than cartridges. Multiple games on a single disk = elite sophistication. Easy to trade too.

At some point I decided I had a real library of videogames going and started cataloging it all. A few months into that and I gave up. I made the mistake of making everything too granular. Name, publisher, date made, date acquired, author, system, size, disk, tape, cart, and likely more. Quickly overloaded the inefficiently laid out database.

Started losing interest in cartridges overall in 1984-1985. After a brief resurgence of interest around the SMS in 1986-1987 I gave up carts entirely forever. For better or worse. The last cart I think I spent money on was F-16 Fighting Falcon for SMS. Ever since then it's been magnetic and optical discs. And more recently digital downloads. But only downloads I can keep and install at my whim on whatever hardware I want. This means PC. Don't have an inherent dislike of carts, just that they take up so much space if you get an extensive library going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smith said:

Getting inside tips and in person summaries of how these mighty games were toppled was part of the fun.

Oh sure. It was part of the experience. Looking forward to sharing tips (and acquiring tips from others) at lunch and recess. Especially exciting was bragging about a new game I or someone else had just gotten. We'd start imagining ways to complete the game or devise strategies for hi-scores before we'd even play it. We were so hyped.

When we started getting interested in computers ( Atari 400/800, Apple II, and C64) the gameplay became more solitary 1 on 1, or 1 vs computer. It was just the nature of the beast. 8-bit gaming was not designed for 2 players like the VCS was. In fact it was hard (at first) to find single-player games on it. It still had "Pong" and "family" themes.

The social aspect didn't take a big hit however, it merely shifted to trading and copying games. Game night turned into WaReZ night. Electronic Games magazine was replaced with Hardcore Computing - a magazine specifically geared to making copies of disks. It ran surprisingly long, some 100 issues and spawned 3 or 4 books. We all had lists of who had what games. And we often learned of (and played) new games weeks or even a month before it was in the store.

Once that ran its course, I got into the Amiga. But it was a go nowhere system for various reasons beyond the scope of this thread. Then my interests turned to the super-sophisticated PC. And the rest is history.

• Like 1

Yup. 99 percent of my PlayStation plus free games library I consider junk. 

Edit .. it's also why I only did Xbox gamepads for a month. It really was 99 percent junk too.

I'd pay for a service that was genre specific.. like racing or whatever. But some genres of video games to me I would never in a millions play. Digital clutter I find grosser than real life clutter.

Edited by NeonSpaceBeagle
  • Like 1

I lied. I did play a few modern games recently. But the styles aren't my thing. And the length of time I spent with them was minimal - like playing on a kiosk.

I had high hopes for Microsoft Flight Simulator, got it and all that. But just couldn't get into it. The world-building facilities weren't easily accessible. Or accessible at all. Not like in the earlier versions were you could play with the files and either make your own add-ins or purchase them, or download them for free.

I wanted to try Amazballs. But it's VR only and that's an instant no-go, as I don't own any headsets.

Eventually I may get into DCS. But I'll need a huge chunk of time for that!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

4)  Nobody Saves the World (Xbox)

There’s so much to like about this game, that it kinda hurts to quit.  But ultimately, part of its foundation is one of the things that I hate in games, so it’s become more “chore” than “play.”   That thing is – it kinda forces you to use specific playstyles that you may not find very fun.   Like, imagine playing a shooter with loads of weapon variety, but the main game plot is locked behind grinding with the weapons you don’t find to be very fun, instead of letting you go about the game using the ones you DO enjoy, if that makes sense.

You know that grind that's usually reserved for achievements / trophies -- like "kill 200 enemies using the slingshot" and "headshot 30 enemies in a row" and shatter 50 enemies after freezing them" --- well that's the main schtick in this one.  Only it's not" something extra.  The actual game is locked behind that stuff. 

If the grind was optional, it wouldn’t be an issue for me, but somehow, it seems that the very main core of this game is built on that type of grind.  And sadly, it just seemed like too much of a slog getting in the way of the parts that I did find entertaining.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 11:48 AM, Keatah said:

Back in the day we'd appreciate each cartridge release and enjoy a trip to the store with all its ensuing anticipation and wonder. A new game! Wow! Today? Stream it.. blechh!!

Yeah I remember we'd hit every store in the mall and check for releases we didn't have, examining the backs of the boxes seeing what the screenshots looked like.

Similar for record/CD stores too, except no screenshots on those, haha.

Shopping was fun then.   Seemed like there was a lot more stuff to buy.   These days it seems the few retail stores that remain sell the same crap and it's boring.

8 minutes ago, zzip said:

Similar for record/CD stores too, except no screenshots on those, haha.

After I had spent several hundred, even maybe a thousand dollars on discovering my musical tastes, they came out with those kiosks where you could listen before purchase. And being and dumb as I ever was I never thought to ask the store to listen to what I was buying beforehand!

27 minutes ago, zzip said:

Shopping was fun then.   Seemed like there was a lot more stuff to buy.   These days it seems the few retail stores that remain sell the same crap and it's boring.

Yes it was. Today I shop in-store for things like staples & domestics, and large bulky items. Everything else seemingly happens online. There's obviously no more CompUSA or Software, etc., let alone the ancient Compu-Shop of the 70's!

I suppose stores like that have no reason to exist. With hardware sku numbers changing monthly and tech being everywhere. And of course no need to put software in a box and truck it to a brick store.

No gala circus atmosphere of the dotcom days. Miss the days when buying a PC (or PC parts) could be a whole weekend affair. Driving from store to store to find the best price, or even finding who had what.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 12:52 PM, Leonard Smith said:

Back in my day, legendary status was bestowed on those who finished particularly difficult games or friends who figured out rather ambiguous goals and mechanics of those early games.

I finished Simon's Quest and didn't find it cryptic at all.   These days I have to chuckle at all the people saying "it would have been impossible without a guide."   I'm like.... the f'n game told you kneel.  ?

On 1/29/2022 at 12:52 PM, Leonard Smith said:

I remember hearing the incredulous tales in the school playground about how Chris beat Dragon Warrior AND Hydlide on NES. 

Kudos to Chris.  I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do in Hydlide.

17 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I finished Simon's Quest and didn't find it cryptic at all.   These days I have to chuckle at all the people saying "it would have been impossible without a guide."   I'm like.... the f'n game told you kneel.  ?

I definitely had to wander aimlessly in simon's quest for a bit, but heck With Zelda my brother and I were logging and burning every damn bush in the game at one point because we were stuck,  SMB had this ridiculous repeating maze at the end with no clues just had to try stuff randomly..  We were used to games throwing us curveballs..  Now X-Men on nes, however we owned my whole childhood and neither of us ever figured out what the heck you were supposed to do in that game

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Sometimes it was just a matter of the hints in the game not being clear enough. 
I personally struggled in Zelda 1 to find that dungeon in the Lost Hills.  The hint you got was to go 'up, up, up the mountain ahead'....I didn't realize they meant scroll up 3 screens to uncover the dungeon.  I was young at the time, so yeah.

As for Hydlide.  Nobody could figure out that game.  One of us finally called the FCI tip line and got through.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

6)  Tunic (Xbox)

This one’s getting amazing reviews, but I think I’m done after a couple of hours.  Love the look and most of the gameplay, but it seems they went above and beyond to make a game you’re supposed to go to the internet to figure out (according to some fans’ defense, that is)  and that’ s not for me.   Most of the text in game and manual (that you find in game) is in a nonsense language and you’re supposed to understand what does what based on experience from “playing lots of other games” (also according to some fans’ defense, and maybe from the devs themselves, I dunno) and many essential paths seem hidden by bad camera angles to where you’ll accidently find them if you’re hugging walls and trying all the nook n’ crannies just in case something’s there.

Ah well, I’m sure it’s fantastic, but not doing it for me.

Chocobo GP (Switch) - it's like Square-Enix hates me and doesn't want me to enjoy the game.  Notwithstanding microtransactions, the computer AI on Story Mode is awful, the cars control like concrete blocks, and the delay when being hit by items is way too long (in my opinion).

I don't know that I'm 'quitting' for good, but I'm putting this one away for a while.

Edited by digdugnate

Centipede Recharged and Black Widow Recharged (Xbox)

Centipede is so-so.  Pretty surprised at the lack of modes and difficulty levels to the main game.  Challenge mode is ok, but gets old quick.  The main game is rather annoying as the fleas and scorpions are introduced too early and end up crapping up the bottom of the playfield too soon.  The centipedes could use better segmenting too...sometimes you think it's down to 1 or 2 segments and it turns out there's a few more due to how they're rendered. 
It's too easy to get hung up on the tiny mushrooms.  And it couldn't have killed them to put in a few different difficulty levels to keep things interesting.  
The visuals do nothing for me, and the soundtrack by the much hyped Megan McHipster is pretty dull.  Not really seeing why these remakes are getting positive reviews.  

Black Widow Recharged - meh.  Can't even get past the title screen.  Wonderful quality control.

Damn good thing I didn't pay full price for these crapfests.  I've since deleted them.  Life is too short to play bad and non-functional games, even if they are made by the 'new' Atari.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leonard Smith said:

Centipede Recharged and Black Widow Recharged (Xbox)

Centipede is so-so.  Pretty surprised at the lack of modes and difficulty levels to the main game.  Challenge mode is ok, but gets old quick.  The main game is rather annoying as the fleas and scorpions are introduced too early and end up crapping up the bottom of the playfield too soon.  The centipedes could use better segmenting too...sometimes you think it's down to 1 or 2 segments and it turns out there's a few more due to how they're rendered. 
It's too easy to get hung up on the tiny mushrooms.  And it couldn't have killed them to put in a few different difficulty levels to keep things interesting.  
The visuals do nothing for me, and the soundtrack by the much hyped Megan McHipster is pretty dull.  Not really seeing why these remakes are getting positive reviews.  

Black Widow Recharged - meh.  Can't even get past the title screen.  Wonderful quality control.

Damn good thing I didn't pay full price for these crapfests.  I've since deleted them.  Life is too short to play bad and non-functional games, even if they are made by the 'new' Atari.

that's a bummer the XBox versions stink; I've heard similar feedback for Windows versions (which would make sense).  They mostly do what they're supposed to on the Switch.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

For real?   Is it bugged, or is there some sort of mini game to get past the title and it's too hard?  or something else up?

No, it's a legit bug that cropped in the last two weeks.  You cannot bypass the title screen.
Seems to affect the VCS and Xbox versions (and likely others):