IGNORED

Predator fireworks

sirlynxalot

Here is the box for some fireworks my neighbor has called the Predator:

80b6560a-0480-4ae7-8d66-9d57cecc914c-1.p

Is it just me, or does this seem to be inspired by the Atari Jaguar logo/box/various marketing materials?  The logo is red, all capital letters, the font is a similar rough slashing style, and to top it all off, the box for the fireworks has 4 claw marks on it, just like many of the atari jaguar's ads.  In addition, Alien vs. PREDATOR was one of the Jag's most well known games. Do you suppose there is an intentional influence between the Atari Jaguar and the box for these fireworks? Or do you think it is just coincidence?

r0ylbqgvsjk21.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I would say coincidence.  A Jaguar is a large predator.  The conceptual design phase might be similar for both products.  In other words, if you were going to name your product Predator, it would make sense to design the logo with the theme of a large cat or some other recognizable predator.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely coincidence - looks like the font used on the fireworks is Another Danger by The Branded Quotes.

I don't know for certain, but I'd imagine the JAGUAR logotype was a custom draw - notice how the two letters A are not identical? It is entirely plausible, given the way fonts work, that one is technically lower-case while the other is technically upper-case, but it seems unlikely on a logo like that. More likely it was hand drawn, then scanned and vectorised. At the very least, the 'clawed' R would be custom.

Thing being, there are lots of folks out there who will create a complete(ish) font based on logos they like, if those logos are not derived from existing fonts... There's this one, based upon the Jag's logotype, but it has no lower case letters and only has the characteristic R as a dingbat replacing #. It also has the 'Jaguar Reboot' logo on { and 'Jaguar' on its own on |

• Like 1