IGNORED

Intle: Wordle for Intellivision

cmadruga

I'm slowly getting hooked on this silly online word game called Wordle. Seems to be the game everyone is talking about these days.

Relevant link: https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

Today I was bored of waiting for my next round of Wordle (it only refreshes once a day) and decided to make my own version for Intellivision.

Because, why not? At least I can practice while I wait ?

Here is the rom in case anyone is interested. It is simple, but it does the job. I'm not planning on making it nicer.

Update (02.14.2022) - At one point I released the source code, and folks started upgrading it.

Please go through this thread to find the latest version. Thanks to Peripheral, First Spear, and other contributors.

Last release before source was opened (01.18.2022):

intle_v2.rom

image.thumb.png.cd5b110c0b85f24ba1f97a411deb2135.png

Controls:

- disc: selects letter (moves blinking cursor)

- side buttons: applies selected letter 

- clear: backspace

- enter: submits word. 

- keypad '1': receive one letter as a tip. Can be any letter from the hidden word. Only 1 tip allowed per game.

(Newer versions may include different controls... check out the thread.)

Rules:

- same as Wordle. Refer to the link provided above.

- this Intellivision version incorporates 2500 words in English.

(Newer versions include over 5000 words now... check out the thread.)

Enjoy!

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 7

One interesting test case which was recently discussed on a Code Golf challenge about Wordle is nanny as the guessed word and inane as the secret word. I think this should display the first 'n' of nanny in yellow, the 2nd one in gray and the 3rd one in green. You may want to test your implementation on that one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arnauld said:

One interesting test case which was recently discussed on a Code Golf challenge about Wordle is nanny as the guessed word and inane as the secret word. I think this should display the first 'n' of nanny in yellow, the 2nd one in gray and the 3rd one in green. You may want to test your implementation on that one.

What would the keyboard color show for the letter N in your proposed solution?

Below is how my logic deals with it.

Only difference vs what you proposed is relative to the second N, which in my case shows as orange/yellow instead of grey.

My interpretation is that either solution is right. I haven't found any documented rules for repeated letters.

What you suggested lends the player a hand in determining the number of N's in the secret word.

My implementation makes it more 'elusive'. ?

image.thumb.png.eeb3ef042642b10bc5e20d4145b4b8b4.png

50 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

What would the keyboard color show for the letter N in your proposed solution?

I guess it should be the 'best' state for this letter, i.e. green in that case.

Here is an example of what happens with repeated letters (UNION for BANAL : 1st N in yellow, 2nd one in gray).

But I agree that both approaches work as long as it's clearly stated in the documentation of the game.

The question is how all the (unauthorized) apps that have popped up work. I'm not sure if there is documentation or a rule book posted. Still it is a Mastermind game with 26 different colours so the rules that apply to Mastermind are likely to apply to games based on Wordle as well.

5 hours ago, Arnauld said:

Here is an example of what happens with repeated letters (UNION for BANAL : 1st N in yellow, 2nd one in gray).

But I agree that both approaches work as long as it's clearly stated in the documentation of the game.

Thanks for the link!

It seems your proposed approach is in line with how the game actually works (as demonstrated by the link). Even though it is not officially documented.

I will try to implement it that way, then.

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

Still it is a Mastermind game with 26 different colours so the rules that apply to Mastermind are likely to apply to games based on Wordle as well.

Your intuition is correct.

Here's what Mastermind does, per Wikipedia:

"If there are duplicate colors in the guess, they cannot all be awarded a key peg unless they correspond to the same number of duplicate colors in the hidden code. For example, if the hidden code is red-red-blue-blue and the player guesses red-red-red-blue, the codemaker will award two colored key pegs for the two correct reds, nothing for the third red as there is not a third red in the code, and a colored key peg for the blue. No indication is given of the fact that the code also includes a second blue."

Which matches what Arnauld presented before.

It works with default settings for me. I presume it is coded in IntyBASIC so it should rely on the full EXEC.

A very simple title screen would be useful, just to delay the game so you are less likely to initiate the random number generator to the same value every time you start the game from cold.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carlsson said:

It works with default settings for me. I presume it is coded in IntyBASIC so it should rely on the full EXEC.

A very simple title screen would be useful, just to delay the game so you are less likely to initiate the random number generator to the same value every time you start the game from cold.

Yep, Intybasic. Default should work.

Good tip on the random # generator, I will do something simple. 

New release... with new features!

intle_v2.rom

- Game too hard?

Press "1" to receive a tip: a letter that belongs to the hidden word! 

It will show up at the top. Only 1 tip given per game.

It may not be the letter you need... but sometimes it is!

image.png.26726d25e5fe610dfc780c7778862483.png

- Added a simple title screen. No, I will not make it fancier.

- Improved word randomization.

- Intle will now check for repeated letters in player submissions, and will assign GREY instead of ORANGE to "excess" letters.

This is aligned with Wordle's (undocumented) logic.

See example below, the extra N in the middle got assigned grey. Intle's previous version would show it as orange.

image.png.624fa405f66806991244d09806846cf5.png

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 2

I was thinking if it would be possible to have everyone synchronize to the same secret words.

Maybe by using the current date as a seed, or something like that.

Could allow for challenges or competitions ?

Maybe some people around here who are smarter than me would have some ideas.

Edited by cmadruga

How about a system similar to the accounts in Ghostbusters, so for each puzzle solved you get a new code that you can type in the next day? Of course it means the engine must have some error detection to filter out invalid codes.

If the code consists of eight digits that is 100 million possible entries, and the dictionary has 2500 words so 1 in 40000 codes would be valid.

6 minutes ago, Steve Jones said:

I find that using ADIEU and PORTS as first two

guesses is very effective in Wordle, all the vowels and quite commonly used consonants.

Those are pretty good starters... but there is no silver bullet for sure. 

Like I just tried them on Intle, and got this:

image.png.c786e5dbd270f3fee97ec2f2e9d613b2.png

It turns out the secret word was MYTHS... really hard one I think.

14 minutes ago, carlsson said:

How about a system similar to the accounts in Ghostbusters, so for each puzzle solved you get a new code that you can type in the next day? Of course it means the engine must have some error detection to filter out invalid codes.

If the code consists of eight digits that is 100 million possible entries, and the dictionary has 2500 words so 1 in 40000 codes would be valid.

A simpler alternative to typing would be just saving and loading from flash.

The Ghostbusters code-based approach was interesting because of the cross-platform compatibility, but that is not the case here.

Edited by cmadruga

7 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Sure. Can you detect how long ago it was that a flash memory cell was recorded, in order to introduce the "once a day" effect on real hardware?

Good question. No idea...

But my original thought around seeds was not necessarily to restrict the game to be played once a day like Wordle.

I will put more thought into it.

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Sure. Can you detect how long ago it was that a flash memory cell was recorded, in order to introduce the "once a day" effect on real hardware?

I'm pretty sure that neither the LTO Flash nor a JLP board can keep track of time once the console is turned off. The only way I can think off would be to deliver a daily code on a dedicated website or mobile app that would unlock the daily puzzle in the game.

Yeah, I studied the Locutus documentation briefly without seeing anything timestamps on Flash memory. While it obviously doesn't keep track of time, I thought that maybe data retention would be possible to measure how long ago a cell was flashed but it sounds like forensics.