IGNORED

Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard in $67 billion deal

Albert

I know people aren’t happy about Microsoft’s buyout of Activision, but something had to be done to save the company after all those toxic fraternity accusations came to light last year.

Edit: Even the World of Warcraft team was canned due to creating unsettling, toxic-like work environments for junior employees.

It’s been already mentioned, but a lot of these titles will more than likely appear on Gamepass.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

Sony have issued a brief response to the news. 

In a quote shared with The Wall Street Journal via a Sony spokesperson, the firm said: "We expect that Microsoft will abide by contractual agreements and continue to ensure Activision games are multiplatform."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/01/sony-responds-to-activision-blizzard-buyout-expects-games-to-still-come-to-ps5-ps4

Might as well copy & paste postings about the Bethesda buyout here...

Yeah, this is defintely to add content for Game Pass (see Quake Remastered) as well as continue to indepently publish on competing platforms.

Plus I'm really hoping that MS will clean house at ActiBlizzard and put an end to that obnoxious frat boy culture and heavy dependence on constant microtranscations (I'll take a subscription I can actually afford over giving half my paycheck to Bobby Kotek for each buggy game, thank you very much!)

• Like 1

@atari2600land in his blog speculated that Disney will enter the buyout circus soon. If they do, I would think that e.g. EA is just as much on their radar as it is on anyone else's.

What about Capcom, are they too small to be really significant in a discussion of this size? I suppose Sega are minions these days.

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

@atari2600land in his blog speculated that Disney will enter the buyout circus soon. If they do, I would think that e.g. EA is just as much on their radar as it is on anyone else's.

What about Capcom, are they too small to be really significant in a discussion of this size? I suppose Sega are minions these days.

I predict whoever Disney buys will immediately stop making anything and start suing everyone and their dog who is trying to make anything for copyright infringment

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Given the utterly disgusting longer term antics of A and B, I'd welcome it if it meant salvaging the IP and cleaning house both on garbage people and garbage policies and tactics.

I don't really have the faith that they will operate better under MS though.

I really hope that MS puts a brand new effort into getting Diablo 4 made. I understand that the team behind that game all quit or stopped coding it entirely, plus the Mobile version of Diablo stopped getting any development ( I don't care about that one, though). I was looking forward to getting a new Diablo game for the Series X, but I don't see that happening now, any existing Diablo 4 code is probably way outdated and it needs a ground up renewal.

3 hours ago, crade said:

I predict whoever Disney buys will immediately stop making anything and start suing everyone and their dog who is trying to make anything for copyright infringment

And start making content that appeals to the Chinese Market, lot of talk before Christmas about films etc having content removed that could in anyway offend China. 

• Like 1

LOL - All Sony has to do is let GamePass run on Playstation and all the titles will be available.

But seriously, why would anyone comment on something that wasn't already agreed upon at this stage.  Even if Phil and his whole team think that it would be crazy to drop support for Playstation, they wouldn't commit to anything they don't have to.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cimerians said:

Microsoft now calls a LOT of the shots. I expect that relationship to erode over time. They really don't need them. 

It depends if MS intends to play the exclusive game or push GamePass to as many platforms as possible.   100+ million PS4s out there plus around 20 million PS5s is a lot of players to ignore.

16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Given the utterly disgusting longer term antics of A and B, I'd welcome it if it meant salvaging the IP and cleaning house both on garbage people and garbage policies and tactics.

I'd prefer someone else bought them, or that they were broken up.

Being bought, closed down, having the name buried and the IP languishing on the back burner would be a fitting end for EA. It's what they did to everyone else.

7 hours ago, zzip said:

I don't really have the faith that they will operate better under MS though.

Probably not, but who knows.  Also that key word of existing, odds are they'll let the contracts expire and take them exclusive to what they control to maximize the return on that insanely expensive investment to earn it back.  What better way to sell more games, more consoles, and importantly more gamepass subs too.  Knocking Sony down to a bit player in comparison would be ideal.  Sony controls enough they'll be fine, but being competitive they won't be if that happened.  They'd be how Nintendo was considered since the later 90s, your 'other console' to get the exclusives.

2 hours ago, Matt_B said:

I'd prefer someone else bought them, or that they were broken up.

Being bought, closed down, having the name buried and the IP languishing on the back burner would be a fitting end for EA. It's what they did to everyone else.

EA would deserve as much, but people who enjoy games and franchises they've crippled, exploited, buried or destroyed I think deserve better.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

EA would deserve as much, but people who enjoy games and franchises they've crippled, exploited, buried or destroyed I think deserve better.

Sure, I'd like to see the games reunited with their former creators where possible. I was more thinking of the EA branding itself, Origin, "Surprise Mechanics" and so on. All that lot could vanish off the face of the Earth and we'd surely be no worse off for it.