IGNORED

WTB Amiga A500

Lios

After having an ebay purchase cancelled on me for an A500 from an Italian seller who it seems did not realize they were marked for international shipment, (none of their listings show for USA now after refunding my order due to a "problem with the shipping address") and only seeing a few boxed with many extras/rarer variant A500s from US sellers, I figure I'd try my luck on some forums. I haven't done deals for retro games/computers on forums for many years, but I do have an ebay account with positive feedback and have made several deals in the 2000s on neo-geo.com, pcenginefx.com, rfgeneration.com, and digitpress.com's marketplace sections, as well as on here if there's any question to my legitimacy.

I honestly can't even tell what the market rate for a bare bones A500 is. The ones that pop up seem to largely be the rarer and later models, or come with a ton of extras and/or mods, expansions. Completed, sold listings on ebay are all over the place as well. I just need a plain vanilla A500. I have an NTSC A500 power supply, mouse, and external floppy drives, just no amiga to game on. Forreference, before tax and shipping, I was paying 160 euro for a pal, stock A500 in pretty good cosmetic condition with a power supply and nothing else, tested powering on and reaching the kickstart screen. I would gladly pay this for a stock, bare bones PAL A500 in good working order, so long as the shipping doesn't end up costing more than the unit itself, or close to it.

I do prefer a pal unit, but will consider ntsc. I will also consider non functioning units, depending on the details and price. I do live in the US, out of Washington state, so US seller preferred, but depending on shipping costs, overseas is fine as well.

If you can score a Rev 6A NTSC board it is very easy to add a PAL switch to it or just convert to PAL by separating JP4 by the 8372A Agnus chip (cutting the connection with a blade). Done that to many a Rev 6A system over the years.

And, on the Rev 5 NTSC board IIRC if you change the Agnus to a PAL chip you will convert to a PAL machine.

Now I know some will say "you have to change the crystal oscillator too!". Well, you really don't have to. Never had any issue running PAL stuff on a PAL converted NTSC system using the methods outlined above. They worked spectacularly.

You are better off obtaining a model stateside versus importing if you are in the USA. Sadly even with that it appears A500's in decent shape are selling for $350-$500 now all depending on the time of the day/month, the people looking at the time, the position of the Sun, the type of blood moon that week...etc.

Me, I have given up on the thought and have decided that a MiST FPGA solution will do the job which much much less hassle.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, eightbit said:

Me, I have given up on the thought and have decided that a MiST FPGA solution will do the job which much much less hassle.

Thought about re-acquiring an A500 for nostalgia. But cost sways me in other directions and re-affirms Software Emulation as my go-to option. With FPGA hardware replacement on my to do list. Either option is going to be so much more reliable and perhaps easier to work with too.

Edited by Keatah

7 hours ago, Keatah said:

Thought about re-acquiring an A500 for nostalgia. But cost sways me in other directions and re-affirms Software Emulation as my go-to option. With FPGA hardware replacement on my to do list. Either option is going to be so much more reliable and perhaps easier to work with too.

Agreed. In order to get an Amiga 500 to where I would want it (for actually using it daily) I would need:

1. A Megachip (to obtain 2MB chip)

2. Some means of a HDD solution 

3. Additional RAM

For #2 and #3, Individual Computers ACA500 is an excellent choice but that still does not increase the chip RAM. And you need a FAT Agnus for 2MB of CHIP in order to use a Megachip. I think someone had created a modern solution for the Megachip but that is a kit you have to build IIRC. People will say you don't need it for WHDLoad. I think what they should be saying is that "you don't need it if you don't care about 100% compatibility". I found on day one I needed it when the WHDLoad version of "Cannon Fodder" would not load due to lack of CHIP ram.

I guess if you were just sticking to floppies or floppy images (with a gotek) you can make due with a stock A500 and additional 512kb trapdoor ram but I am spoiled with WHDLoad. And in order to do that on an A500 you are going to need to spend lots of money on stuff. 

Or just go the easy route and get a MiST (or MiSTer) and experience the same result (actually more capable than an A500) for a fraction of the price and like you said MUCH more reliable. I am really nostalgic for the A500 myself and if I found one for cheap I would snap it up. But it would probably go into storage at the same time and not get much use at all. The FPGA solution is not like software emulation at all. It really feels like an Amiga if that makes any sense....it would certainly fool me! I simply took my hard drive image from my real amiga and loaded it on the MiST. Same exact thing in feel and functionality.

Edited by eightbit

I have one, an A500 Pal unit, gathering dust, nice condition with only the trapdoor cover missing its locking tab, but I'm getting tired of packing and shipping things. Before Covid, I didn't mind waiting in line at the post office, but now... meh... Things get lost, brittle plastic cases break, buyers not knowing what they're buying ect... I'm getting too old for that.

Now I mostly sell via Kijiji (Canadian craigslist) or Facebook marketplace (pickup only). Only when those fail do I even consider shipping. 

6 hours ago, eightbit said:

Agreed. In order to get an Amiga 500 to where I would want it (for actually using it daily) I would need:

1. A Megachip (to obtain 2MB chip)

2. Some means of a HDD solution 

3. Additional RAM

For #2 and #3, Individual Computers ACA500 is an excellent choice but that still does not increase the chip RAM. And you need a FAT Agnus for 2MB of CHIP in order to use a Megachip. I think someone had created a modern solution for the Megachip but that is a kit you have to build IIRC. People will say you don't need it for WHDLoad. I think what they should be saying is that "you don't need it if you don't care about 100% compatibility". I found on day one I needed it when the WHDLoad version of "Cannon Fodder" would not load due to lack of CHIP ram.

I guess if you were just sticking to floppies or floppy images (with a gotek) you can make due with a stock A500 and additional 512kb trapdoor ram but I am spoiled with WHDLoad. And in order to do that on an A500 you are going to need to spend lots of money on stuff. 

Or just go the easy route and get a MiST (or MiSTer) and experience the same result (actually more capable than an A500) for a fraction of the price and like you said MUCH more reliable. I am really nostalgic for the A500 myself and if I found one for cheap I would snap it up. But it would probably go into storage at the same time and not get much use at all. The FPGA solution is not like software emulation at all. It really feels like an Amiga if that makes any sense....it would certainly fool me! I simply took my hard drive image from my real amiga and loaded it on the MiST. Same exact thing in feel and functionality.

By luck, I've sourced a local seller for a not fully tested NTSC A500 with Rev 6a board for sale at a reasonable price. Meeting with them tomorrow, will update if I get it. If that falls through, I may have another lead through a friend

I honestly just want something I can put a gotek drive into and load up OCS games from that. I already have an untested power supply, 1 or 2mb ram expansion (side bus and not trap door iirc, will have to dig it up out of storage to confirm), some mice, external floppies, and a pile of boxed software. New aftermarket trapdoor 512kb expansions don't seem terribly expensive if needed. I'll probably get a mister at some point, but I love tinkering with original hardware, and it's often really the only easy way to test odd/obscure peripherals designed for original hardware. I also have a pile of amiga floppies with unknown contents to go through.

I don't mind spending the money for fun toys here and there, but I don't want to get ripped off. It's just hard to gauge what a US located A500 even goes for, between a few not selling BINs on ebay, and not much in more recently sold auctions. Sellers have some idea of what one is worth, but I'm not finding the buyer data to back it up so far. Just looking up Amiga computers on ebay that are available to US buyers right now returns less than a dozen listings for any model of the computers, period. Many are untested/parts ones too. Funnily, I find Atari ST and 8 bit stuff all day long, at pretty good prices at that. Hard to tell if that's because in difference between supply or demand for either Amiga or 16 bit atari computers.

I seem to do better asking what something's worth to me. I try not to let price muck up the hobby. After all, a price different than what I believe is right/wrong, is still a price determined by someone else. Guess I've been around the block a couple of times and lost interest in haggling.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I seem to do better asking what something's worth to me. I try not to let price muck up the hobby. After all, a price different than what I believe is right/wrong, is still a price determined by someone else. Guess I've been around the block a couple of times and lost interest in haggling.

For me, it's more about getting enough data to feel pretty safe spending x amount on something without there being a good chance outside of dumb luck to find it at lesser y price a week later. A pair of unsold bundles on ebay isn't much to go by for pricing on a loose, bare bones a500, but in terms of what they're selling for on ebay in europe right now, the asking prices are double or more for the few stateside listings. Now if several months down the road, it's the same story after exhausting every resource I can think of, or I'm finding dozens of offers at the same price point, that's a different story. I don't mind haggling and waiting for a better deal on items. I already have more projects than I have time for as is, anything more is just bonus if I find a good deal. If not, I haven't really lost anything for not having found what I personally consider a "good deal"

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 6:00 PM, eightbit said:

Or just go the easy route and get a MiST (or MiSTer) and experience the same result (actually more capable than an A500) for a fraction of the price and like you said MUCH more reliable.

The result might be the same (well, nearly, since Minimig is not 100% compatible) but the feelings are subjective. I also love Amiga, it's probably my #1 retro machine, and use Minimig core on MiSTer alot, but at the same time couldn't do without a real one. Using the original hardware just gives me a completely different feeling, but that will vary per person. Some are ok with emulation/FPGA, others need the real deal fix too.

Unfortunately, yes, the prices have gone way up in the last 2 years (though luckily not for ACA500+). It's not the natural curve for retro products, but there's also nothing we can do about it. On the upside, they're not going down anytime soon, so I treat OG hardware as a form of investment. Can always sell it later on.

6 hours ago, youxia said:

I treat OG hardware as a form of investment. Can always sell it later on.

Well, that is if it works :)

You can still sell it if something (or some things) fail, but I will tell you for certain from years of experience that you are not going to see a return on your investment if a bunch of chips fail....which they do with age of course.

I personally of course always prefer original hardware over any software or hardware FPGA emulation (or simulation depending on who you ask) but when the prices for vintage hardware reach astronomical points as much have I personally will do without the original hardware for the time being. I do plan on acquiring another real Amiga one day but thankfully for FPGA solutions I don't have to live "Amiga-less" while I wait for a good deal on real hardware. 

The good deal would have to be the right price for old hardware that can fail at any minute. Recently I picked up a boxed really mint (I think it may not have had more than a day of use) VIC-20 for $50, and even more recently a Commodore 64 with bad RAM for $20. The RAM repair on that ran about $50, so $70 for that machine. Those are fair or some may say "killer" prices on vintage hardware, but those prices are what they really should be for again, vintage stuff that may or probably will need additional funds put in some time soon in order to keep them up and running.

Paying $500 for an Amiga 500 as I have seen some do is just insane in my book.

23 hours ago, eightbit said:

The good deal would have to be the right price for old hardware that can fail at any minute. Recently I picked up a boxed really mint (I think it may not have had more than a day of use) VIC-20 for $50, and even more recently a Commodore 64 with bad RAM for $20. The RAM repair on that ran about $50, so $70 for that machine. Those are fair or some may say "killer" prices on vintage hardware, but those prices are what they really should be for again, vintage stuff that may or probably will need additional funds put in some time soon in order to keep them up and running.

Oddly enough I never ever took seriously the cost of future repairs. Just that it's part of the hobby. To be assumed. Open ended.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:27 AM, youxia said:

Some are ok with emulation/FPGA, others need the real deal fix too.

The Apple II is where I strongly desire both emulation and real hardware. I'm not bothering with FPGA since software emulation is light years ahead with added features and far easier PC file access. Much of my personal real hardware need revolves around nostalgia and remembrances of the good times.

Some may prefer to think of emulation as a back room, where all the supplies and tools are kept. And I most certainly agree on that when it comes to disk image manipulation. Emulation has so enriched my real hardware experience when it comes to verifying and re-organizing and archiving. Tools on both sides mesh well enough to accomplish just about any task, and in multiple ways that are satisfying and subtly different.

Edited by Keatah

18 hours ago, Keatah said:

Oddly enough I never ever took seriously the cost of future repairs. Just that it's part of the hobby. To be assumed. Open ended.

Yeah, I always went in knowing repairs would be something that is part of the hobby. However, I never had to pay so MUCH for those repairs so many years ago. Now I am finding myself buying little things like a C64 CIA for $50....something I was so used to paying a few bucks for years ago. It's getting very pricey to keep the old machines running. And even worse many times I simply can't even find the part.... never mind spending out the tail for it.

The price and the rarity are two things that are making it become more of a second job than a hobby for me sadly.

I totally understand that. And the plight of acquiring custom or semi-custom (low production) parts in the past five years. Understand it first hand from helping others locate them.

I can say however it's been different with the Apple II lineup it seems. Or I'm just damned lucky. I remember having my Apple II+ go bad on me in like 1981 or 1982. Had a bad 4116 RAM chip. I long forgot the symptoms, but it may have been that certain programs kept freezing.

The service department at Compu-Shop charged me $150 to diagnose and repair it. Took about an hour. And RAM was still quite expensive at that early juncture. Likely still have the tag and receipt for it. It was a typical Micron failure. Seems Micron DRAM chips that Apple used up till around 1986 were more prone to failure than any other brand. This ranging from the II+ through the first half of the standard //e lineup. Seemingly stopping with later //e models and totally gone by the time the //ep came out.

Perhaps that was one of the reasons they did the built-in diagnostics thing. Seemed heavy on RAM/ROM and data bus functionality, but rather light on graphics & screen or any kind I/O & CPU stuff. It would do its best to indicate which memory chip was bad.

Sometime in the late 80's and all throughout the 90's it was uber-cheap to repair classic computers. They had just fallen out of favor for the 386 PC rigs. Yet still abundant. Not yet in the e-waste stream. I was even able to score a $3.63 //c at the thrift store back then. And a small skid of decommissioned //ep consoles for $10! The ten bucks was a tip for the guy loading them.

I don't recall the prices of individual parts or generic 74LS logic in the II+, but they were cheap at under a buck or two tops. Sans RAM of course.

In present day, for Apple II+ or //e repairs, I just go through my parts pile or pull from a motherboard I purchased decades ago for that purpose. Even at a going price of 80 bucks for the 86 chips it's less than a dollar per. And you likely get a working board, with processor and ROM and RAM and all those other discrete (but common) parts. Not that I'm needing to effect repairs, but its nice to know I've got a pico-sized store ready to supply me.

Same applies for the //e and its "custom" MMU, IOU, PLA, 65C02, Keyboard Array, and other stuffage. So the //e, having lesser chips, drives up the price per part a bit. But you have those special proprietary chips at hand for only a coupla 5 or 10 bucks each. Parts available nowhere else. Though those are pretty reliable. Can't beat that. Eventually we'll see FPGA/CPLD replacements, there's no need for them now. Totally opposite are the Atari POKEYs which are in high demand.

Cosmetic beaters and corroded boards and other damaged consoles seem to be good sources. These days I'm not going to spend much time buffing and spit polishing junkers. Already did enuff of that years ago. And if you're focusing on one platform it's easy to get a fewa those junkers for donor parts.

Back in the day the II series was expensive to purchase and repair. But maintenance costs seem quite low today.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...