IGNORED

Best new Jaguar release of 2021!

jgkspsx

What was your favorite new Jaguar release of 2021?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best new Jaguar release of 2021?

• Last Strike
    • ReBOOTed
    • Kings of Edom
    • Brains and Brawn
    • Simone
    • JagZombies 2

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/12/2022 at 05:00 AM

3 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Yes and interesting to see that last strike "won" all sub categories but not the general one. Ah well still great games :)

None of these sub categories covered things as gameplay, controls, replay value, and overall enjoyment, so that might be part of the explanation.

Nevertheless congratulations to @CyranoJ, @agradeneu and @Albert for winning in the presentation categories.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

I mean, it had the battle theme… and “the earth has its music for those who will listen” :) 

Sorry, it was not meant as a jab against the game, it deserved the win. But it has no music despite the short drum loop. So it's kinda funny that it got votes for best music.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phoboz said:

None of these sub categories covered things as gameplay, controls, replay value, and overall enjoyment, so that might be part of the explanation.

Nevertheless congratulations to @CyranoJ, @agradeneu and @Albert for winning in the presentation categories.

Thanks, but I can't be credited for LS graphics or presentation, I was just a tester for the game.

I did graphics work on Rebooted and as you know, Kings of Edom ;-) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Thanks, but I can't be credited for LS graphics or presentation, I was just a tester for the game.

I did graphics work on Rebooted and as you know, Kings of Edom ;-) 

Yes you contributed both with graphics, and playtesting of Kings of Edom. Besides from that you also hatched additional ideas that contributed posetively to the gameplay, such as breakable objects. So you can feel proud of being part of the #1 release for the Atari Jaguar in 2021.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, agradeneu said:

But it has no music despite the short drum loop. So it's kinda funny that it got votes for best music.

In reality, All the other games, including Brawn and Brains had more music.  Really odd voting.

You have to figure in the real event some of these titles wouldn't even get a nomimation: KoE for music, Brawn for packaging, etc.

KoE would have been possibly in the "Ports" sections as its QHack, is it not?

12 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

In reality, All the other games, including Brawn and Brains had more music.  Really odd voting

The cathegory was about how original the music was, not about how much music the game had.

I opted for using music and abient sound in this game to enhance the experience of what happens in the game. If I would have had a playlist of constant synth beats running all the time in this type of game, there would be no way that I could have enhanced the felling of WAR when the monsters arrive...

Different types of music, the ammount of music, and sound effects can be different depending on the game type. I belive the case is not always: "The more, the better", but this is just my opinion.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

QHack isn’t a game.

No it's not. It's a tutorial on how to get started making a roguelike game. I based my initial research prototypes on it (that is the purpose of it), amongst other examples on the Internet, just to learn. In the end I made my own engine, as I deviated to much from the formula of any of these examples.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, phoboz said:

The cathegory was about how original the music was, not about how much music the game had.

I opted for using music and abient sound in this game to enhance the experience of what happens in the game. If I would have had a playlist of constant synth beats running all the time in this type of game, there would be no way that I could have enhanced the felling of WAR when the monsters arrive...

Different types of music, the ammount of music, and sound effects can be different depending on the game type. I belive the case is not always: "The more, the better", but this is just my opinion.

No music means no music. But that is just my opinion.

I understand the idea of ambient sounds, but that would be the category of sound&FX, not music. Sorry, that I am a bit strict about that. 

Any musician understands the complexity of music, and for your new game Astroite you worked with a musician to create a proper soundtrack. Therefore, calling the sounds in KoE music is quite a stretch of imagination and frankly it is that way because there was no musician involved in the development of the game. Getting good music is not that easy, as it is real work just like graphics, and in most cases it will cost some money as well. 

Edited by agradeneu

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

No music means no music. But that is just my opinion.

Yes, I think everyone can decide for themselves. If some think that percussions is not music, then it's just sound for them. I won't interfere with that.

Personally I really don't see why this defintion is so important for the experience, if you percive it as music, or not.

@jgkspsx better to call it soundtrack then for next poll?

Edited by phoboz

21 minutes ago, phoboz said:

Yes, I think everyone can decide for themselves. If some think that percussions is not music, then it's just sound for them. I won't interfere with that.

Personally I really don't see why this defintion is so important for the experience, if you percive it as music, or not.

Music is perfectly fine. It means anything more complex than a 2 sec drum loop, with some sort of melodic progression and arrangement. Just ask a musician. ;)

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, phoboz said:

Well me too, then I might question your sincerity in this discussion!. 

The lack of music is some of KoE weak points, and I pointed that out as a tester.

The implementation of music on the Jaguar affects performance and ROM space, so it's not a feature that could be taken for granted.

There is a huge difference between a fully arranged music track of >1minute and a 2 Kbyte constant loop of one instrument. It's a sound effect.

There is no title music. There is no music as such anywhere in the game. Period. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

The lack of music is some of KoE weak points, and I pointed that out as a tester.

The implementation of music on the Jaguar affects performance and ROM space, so it's not a feature that could be taken for granted.

There is a huge difference between a fully arranged music track of >1minute and a 2 Kbyte constant loop of one instrument. It's a sound effect.

There is no title music. There is no music as such anywhere in the game. Period. 

The decision was purely based on artistic expression.

From a technical perspective, Asteroite uses the same engine, it has 2 parallax layers and long musical scores.

I think this is somewhat a little bit of a problem with the Jaguar (you know the whole 64-bit thing), that every game must show off the full capacity of the system, all the time.

I know to many it is all about showing how much you can squeeze out of an old system. To me, it's that I found a good (open) platform powerfull enogh to realize my game ideas. That's why I eventually had to move away from the Vectrex. Nintendo rejected me as a developer for the Switch, so there you have it...

Edited by phoboz

17 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

You have to figure in the real event some of these titles wouldn't even get a nomimation: KoE for music, Brawn for packaging, etc.

KoE would have been possibly in the "Ports" sections as its QHack, is it not?

I guess in the real event, there will be only one category for best game next year, like for the Lynx this year.

Sub categories are not for every platform and came along the years...

This is the same with ports & original games. Unless there are more than 6 games in each category to make a nomination list, there is no interest in splitting categories (and even with enough games, personnally, I'd still prefer a single Best Game Award rather than 2 Best Games Awards).

And of course, since this year, packaging is opened to every releases that entered the nomination process whatever the platform (and not only 2600 like previous years). So Brains & Brawn would have been pre-selected for packaging award, but would probably would not made the cut to enter the nominated list (only 6 games while there were far more games in the initial list)

Edited by Fadest
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phoboz said:

There were two different categories for sound design and music this time, in fact!

3 hours ago, Fadest said:

I guess in the real event, there will be only one category for best game next year, like for the Lynx this year.

Sub categories are not for every platform and came along the years...

This is the same with ports & original games. Unless there are more than 6 games in each category to make a nomination list, there is no interest in splitting categories (and even with enough games, personnally, I'd still prefer a single Best Game Award rather than 2 Best Games Awards).

You're correct, for the first year of inclusion for Jaguar in the Atari Homebrew Awards there will most likely be only a single category, Best Jaguar Homebrew. If there's a large number of games released in 2022 we will take a look at subdividing, and best way to subdivide. With the six games released in 2021, we wouldn't have needed to get the nomination committee involved as they would all automatically go directly to the public vote.

3 hours ago, Fadest said:

And of course, since this year, packaging is opened to every releases that entered the nomination process whatever the platform (and not only 2600 like previous years). So Brains & Brawn would have been pre-selected for packaging award, but would probably would not made the cut to enter the nominated list (only 6 games while there were far more games in the initial list)

That's right, all the physically released Jaguar games would be passed on to the nomination committee in the Packaging Category and compete with the rest of the physically released games from other platforms. In 2021 we had a list of 39 eligible games in 'Best Packaging' (16x 2600, 6x 7800, 10x 8-Bit/5200 & 7x Lynx) passed on to the Nomination Committee.

Looking forward to see how 2022 shapes up for Jaguar! We're very excited to include it and I announced during Saturday's Awards ceremony that it would be included next year! ?

- James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, agradeneu said:

It almost sounds like you're blaming him for the voting. We're the ones who voted. The category was sound/music. It didn't separate them.

Personally I love atmospheric sounds. The drum beats, the bowl of the wind. The echoing drips of water etc. They change with the situation and I think they work great. Constant background music may get repetitive and is likely to get shut off with the 0 button. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1