IGNORED

Atari 7800 Controller Options

Silver Back

8 hours ago, Danjovic said:

it looks like a version of the early models of my AT26-Chuck , apprently with less features.

6763621444580075957.jpg

I see no problem on replicating an open source project, even for profit, as long as the original work maintain its credits. At least the device is being offered for cheap, which is a good point :).

My latest PCB was shortened to better hold the nunchuck connector, and reduce the stress on the Atari connector.

9274321446925426231.jpg

BTW the firmware can be modified , and a diode shall be added to support two buttons on POT lines to mave it compatible with 7800.

Also needs a shell or outer case.  These kind of things are too fragile otherwise.  And how much is this?  And currently I use a seagull with a 8bitdo genesis bluetooth adapter.  I pair with a wiimote nicely.  But if I add a nunchuck in the back the buttons don't work.  Only the thumbstick.

8 hours ago, Danjovic said:

BTW the firmware can be modified , and a diode shall be added to support two buttons on POT lines to mave it compatible with 7800.

Wondering how this could be modified to control a 7800. Only one diode? Or a resistor like in the 7800 schematics?

I didn't see a PCB available anywhere except on ebay but you say that's not you.

Does that mean it's not, or one would have to design it based on your OS info?

Also, do any of the classic controllers that attach like nunchucks work as input, or nunchuck only?

3 hours ago, Dopy25 said:

Wondering how this could be modified to control a 7800. Only one diode? Or a resistor like in the 7800 schematics?

I didn't see a PCB available anywhere except on ebay but you say that's not you.

Does that mean it's not, or one would have to design it based on your OS info?

Also, do any of the classic controllers that attach like nunchucks work as input, or nunchuck only?

With the present PCB a diode will be necessary, but not "only" the diode. The firmware should be modified to push a "high" on either POT1/POT2 pins in response to the Z/C controls (and add support for other controllers than the Nunchuck).

The reason for the diode is due to a project decision that was fine for the 2600:  When I designed my adapter I have routed to DB-9 connector all the signals necessary to program the micro-controller, including the pin (RA3/MCLR) that happens to work as an input. A diode will allow another pin to push the 5V signal on the POT1 line while isolating it from the 12V received by the MCLR pin at the time of programming the chip (with the board connected to a programmer).

Of course, a solder jumper can be added to the PCB layout to allow reroute the pin after the micro-controller is programmed.

The link to the project page is on the link that I have posted (full URL is https://hackaday.io/project/7944-at26-chuck) and all the sources are availabe at the project's github repository (https://github.com/Danjovic/AT26-Chuck)

image.thumb.png.1c606235b92fb38c99ed454f6f358627.png

Edited by Danjovic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Also needs a shell or outer case.  These kind of things are too fragile otherwise

The square inch version is very stable.

1541221447899198580.jpg

And how much is this?

I don't sell it, sorry. It is an open source project, anyone can make it even for selling to other people (as long the original work is credited somehow).

And currently I use a seagull with a 8bitdo genesis bluetooth adapter.  I pair with a wiimote nicely.  But if I add a nunchuck in the back the buttons don't work.  Only the thumbstick.

Well, unless you are able to somehow modify the mapping of the buttons on the 8bitdo receiver, you're stuck with that. 

Have you tried to use a classic controller?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danjovic said:

The square inch version is very stable.

1541221447899198580.jpg

I don't sell it, sorry. It is an open source project, anyone can make it even for selling to other people (as long the original work is credited somehow).

Well, unless you are able to somehow modify the mapping of the buttons on the 8bitdo receiver, you're stuck with that. 

Have you tried to use a classic controller?

Everything works except nunchuck.  Classic works fine.

Quick question (somewhat on topic) - does anyone know if Brad / Best Electronics accept 7800 Proline Joystick cores?  I have a few I wouldn't mind sending him so they can live on as upgraded models or whatever.

I thought I remember reading that he does for 5200 joysticks.  
Wasn't sure if he did for the Prolines.  

His website is a bit tough to navigate, so my apologies if I overlooked it.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I just called and spoke to him directly (and placed a second order).  The answer, in case anyone wonders, is no.  They do not buy any 7800 Proline joystick cores.  
Not sure why people say he's difficult to deal with.  He seems like a professional and was quick and efficient when answering my questions and taking my order.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...