IGNORED

First Completed 7800 Game - "High Card Draw"

saxmeister

Great job! Very nice presentation and explanation about how you progressed your development!

Loved Compute! and Compute!'s Gazette back in the day.  I have a partially completed Chess and Othello game (combined) using the source from the magazines as a basis to build a 7800 version.  Another one I need to finish one day! 

• Like 4

Thanks @mksmith! You and some of the other developers like @Muddyfunster are the ones doing the incredible work on the 7800 and inspiring me and others to pick up the 7800 and code.

The 7800 never got a chess game or Othello. Both of those would be great additions to the library. The more, the better, right?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mksmith said:

I have a partially completed Chess and Othello game (combined) using the source from the magazines as a basis to build a 7800 version

First, the idea of using classic basic listings as a basis for an upgraded version is a super cool idea.

But, just to clarify - is it a game that can do Othello or chess, or is it some kind of unholy crossbreed of the two games?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Karl G said:

First, the idea of using classic basic listings as a basis for an upgraded version is a super cool idea.

But, just to clarify - is it a game that can do Othello or chess, or is it some kind of unholy crossbreed of the two games?

I was toying with having a 'board games' thing with multiple games included!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saxmeister said:

The 7800 never got a chess game or Othello. Both of those would be great additions to the library. The more, the better, right?

Yes fore sure!  The chess one runs assembly which is mostly working fine just the end-game validation was a little off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've got some ideas for this and may code a multi card game version. High Card Draw isn't exactly exciting - I just wanted to get my feet wet with a proof of concept.

I'm looking forward to expanding on this...

Any other ideas?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/24/2022 at 7:01 PM, saxmeister said:

For those of you starting out, always try to do the basics first. Start small. I started out with 320A text - which can be a challenge - and tried to walk through the basic logic.

step01.thumb.png.74bd7706e6719c41c1cccf6390f97c5d.png

Then progressively add to that. Next, I tried adding simple card graphics.

step02.thumb.png.457df874b0327548cdc24f67f74d635f.png

Then, I added some more design elements to the game, including the dealer looking upset when he loses and happy when he wins - just like the old Ken Uston Blackjack game but with my graphics.

step03_win.thumb.png.c930489bdf50c20cd53dc5c676804b3f.png

step03_lose.thumb.png.1b4ae709fe60dcfeb9d79554f19da21a.png

And then a basic text title screen. I'll replace this with graphics and then add music, better graphics for the cards, and better interaction. It looks too much like a Colecovision or Intellivision title screen right now.

step03_title.thumb.png.e3a4f6bbd93bfbefc75663f4c5172dbf.png

Once all of this is completed I may extend this to become blackjack or poker game.

highcarddraw_02.bas.bin 32 kB · 18 downloads highcarddraw_02.bas.a78 32.13 kB · 22 downloads

So I know you origonally had all 320A.. Why not mod you're 160A update to use 320C? 320C also allows 4 colors per tile, instead of 3.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:14 PM, saxmeister said:

I've got some ideas for this and may code a multi card game version. High Card Draw isn't exactly exciting - I just wanted to get my feet wet with a proof of concept.

I'm looking forward to expanding on this...

Any other ideas?

How about a version with 3 cards so you have 3, know what they are, and try and use the highest version.

And if it's a tie, you use another pair.

If you win, you loose a card, but if you loose, you get a card.

First to 0 cards wins!