IGNORED

What system gives "Popeye" justice?

I just got Popeye for Nes today.

Apparently this wasn't the Popeye I was looking for. I kind of think I played a better home translation.

This was hands down my favorite arcade game as a kid, and I'm looking for the BEST version.

Right now, I have a 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Genesis, NES, SNES, and Playstation. Can anyone recommend a better version? What do you guys think is the best "Popeye"?

Actually, I always thought the NES version was quite good... If you don't like it though, you might want to try out the ColecoVision version. Although the graphics aren't the best (Popeye is completely white for whatever reason), it seems to play pretty well to me. There are 2600 and INTV versions, but I don't think either of them are very good. I think there's a C64 version that should be quite decent.

However, if you don't like the NES version, then you probably won't find a version that you'll like.

--Zero

I always thought the NES version was best in graphics, gameplay, and sound.

I hear the 5200 one is excellent, but I have yet to play it. The 2600 version is ugly, but plays pretty good, the INTV version is ugly and doesn't play all that well. The ColecoVision version, as previously stated, is weird because Popeye is all white, but the gameplay is nice.

There was also a port of Popeye for the Odyssey 2. I'll go find the Video Game Critic link.

Wow, that actually looks pretty decent... Very Odysseyized of course, but interesting none the less. Were there any other ports of this game that allowed a second player to control Bluto like that?

If nothing else, the Odyssey^2 definitely had some interesting multiplayer modes in it's games...

--Zero

The 5200 and the NES versions are about equal to me, though I like the NES play control a +bit+ better.
Ditto. All in all it's sill a cool game. Even for an Arcade port.

Why.. the justice system!

Yes. That's one system I haven't gotten my hands on yet. ;)

Hey wow! That videogame critic guy did a review of my Asteroids Vector Edition :P

http://www.videogamecritic.net/2600aa.htm#..._Vector_Edition

.. But he gives credit to Hozer :x Oh well :P

As far as Popeye goes.. Like mentioned earlier, if you want "the best".. then the best is the emulated version via Mame. But if you want to go one better, then play it on Mame on a modded Xbox.. But that's a whole other story if you want that

I actually have the "justice system" version of Popeye.

It sucks too. :wink:

Actually, the topic should have been called, "What home version of Popeye is the best", or something of that nature. But alas, I'm no English teacher.

Anyway, I think it's got to be the Colecovision one from my youth, I know we didn't have an Intellivision Popeye, so that must be the one.

It's probably not better, just what I expected this one to be. My main complaint is that the characters seem smaller than I remember, and the music isn't bouncy enough. I want a beat I can dance to.

Right now, I have a 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Genesis, NES, SNES, and Playstation.  Can anyone recommend a better version?   What do you guys think is the best "Popeye"?

There's a PS version of the Popeye arcade game?? And a SNES version too?

I'd have to say the NES version is the best adaptation, followed closely by the Atari 5200 version.

Right now, I have a 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Genesis, NES, SNES, and Playstation.  Can anyone recommend a better version?   What do you guys think is the best "Popeye"?

There's a PS version of the Popeye arcade game?? And a SNES version too?

I'd have to say the NES version is the best adaptation, followed closely by the Atari 5200 version.

I think he was just listing all of the systems he owns, so people know what to consider when recommending a version of the game for him.

You want to play it on Mame. That is by far the best "version" out there.

Of the home systems, I would give the nod to the 5200, but for a punching problem that must be somekind of bug. Basically, whenever you punch a bottle, there's about a 50-50 chance that you will die. Period. And it's not just me missing either, I played the game many times as a kid and know what I'm doing. The bottle punching problem got so frustrating that I stopped playing the game.

2600 Popeye is a medicore arcade port, but there are much much worse, so I won't rag on it too hard. My biggest gripes are the blocky graphics and the fact that Popeye basically disintegrates when caught. Does Brutus hit him with a phaser or what? :roll:

Still, it does have three screens IIRC and the game is more fair, ie the bottle punching problem is gone.

The NES version is pretty good. As for the C64, I don't ever remember playing it.

--Jason

Chris,

I don't think I ever touched your commodore 64 with the exception of hours of fun with "Captain Spectrum and the hall of 91 gall bladders"!

The more I think about this, {in lieu of thinking 'bout real important stuff}

I believe it was the Colecovision version that I am thinking of.

HOWEVER,

I believe it was my imagination as a child that convinces me that it was a good game. The colecovision had me convinced as a kid that IT was the closest we would ever get to arcade play at home. That way, I could easily forgive glaring mistakes and whatnot.

So, the jury is in. The best version of Popeye resides in my imagination.

Or something like that.