IGNORED

What system gives "Popeye" justice?

Okay, without having played it in 20 years.

I'm going to go with the Coleco version.

{Go ahead, crucify me! Use Popeye Justice!}

There's something about Popeye being as tall as Mario on the NES, that gives me diaper rash.

So, today I went looking for a Coleco Popeye, and went to a store that had all the Coleco and Atari games mixed together. Making it impossible to tell which Popeye was which.!@!! Bastards!

Does anyone have any pics of the Popeye cart for the Coleco?

Does it say, "for use with Colecovision system" or something like that?

I shall overcome the video game store and it's attempt to foil my Popeye obsession.

Does anyone have any pics of the Popeye cart for the Coleco?  

Does it say, "for use with Colecovision system" or something like that

The Coleco Popeye should have a tan label instead of a silver/gray one. You can always look at the end of the cart and see if it's tapered to fit into the Colecovision or not.

Tempest

Looking from the bottom of the cart, the casing should be shaped like this: (hope this looks right)

Atari:

,--------------------.

|                    |

|                    |

`--------------------'

Coleco:

/                    

|                    |

`--------------------'

Atari labels are silvery grey, Coleco labels are tan colored, and if you look into the connector and you see two plastic pegs sticking out on either side of the connector, then it's an Atari cartridge for sure.

If they have them all stuck together, it's quite likely they don't realize the difference between them.

--Zero[/code]

Okay, without having played it in 20 years.

I'm going to go with the Coleco version.

{Go ahead, crucify me! Use Popeye Justice!}

Maybe he should shout that out when he hits Bluto, like Captain America does in Marvel Super Heroes. POPEYE JUSTICE!!!

There's something about Popeye being as tall as Mario on the NES, that gives me diaper rash.

That's more than we needed to know, really. :ponder:

By the way, there are more than just one Popeye video game available. There's a couple of side-scrolling platformers, and even Popeye Beach Volleyball for the Game Gear. Olive Oyl doesn't exactly fill out a swimsuit the way the girls in Dead or Alive Volleyball do. :D

JR

Okay, I got Popeye and Q-bert for the Colecovision today.

NES Popeye is a much better game.

Colecovision Popeye has a bigger Popeye character, but is difficult to move. I also believe you have to catch more letters in the level 3 game to reach Olive. This is a difficulty I don't like.

I shall continue with my "Quest for Popeye", and his "justice" as I search for the 2600 and Intelli versions now.

I need to set you up with a C-64 and copy (ahem..."archive") a bunch of games for you. I have an extra computer and disk drive for you. I think you'd really like Popeye on there, since the controls are spot-on.

Plus, now you can Squish 'Em.

Here's just a hint, for the time being: Do you have any Atari 2600 joysticks? They work with ColecoVision games, so long as you don't need the second button for whatever game you're playing. Just press "1" (or whatever) to start the game on the OTHER controller (in other words, keep a CV stick plugged into player 2's port and use that one to start the game). All games that need only one fire button work much better with the old-school Atari controller than that damn CV controller.