Other M is a sequel to Super Metroid

Uh... Samus is really young in it. I think the chronology of the series is:

1. Other M
  2. Metroid Zero Mission
  3. Metroid II
  4. Super Metroid
  5. Metroid Fusion
  6. Metroid Dread

The Metroid Prime Trilogy is set either between Other M and Zero Mission or just after the latter, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I think people give to much importance to the chronology of Japanese games, when most sequels have been rather conceived as improved remakes (Castlevania, Zelda, etc.) for a long time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Uh... Samus is really young in it.

That’s because Team Ninja was not interested in a mature woman ?

The character development arc of the game consists of Samus dealing with PTSD about

Spoiler

the baby Metroid sacrificing itself to save her at the end of Super Metroid.

Given how ruthless Samus has been in past games, this doesn’t really ring true, but it was an easy way for them to emotionally chainjerk their way through the game.

Ok I got my answer.  Other M is after Super but before Fusion. 

I think my biggest gripe with Other M was that you had all your powers from the beginning (finally!) but you can't use them until Adam gives you permission. That part was stupid and made zero sense other than to keep you from being overpowered from the get go.  It would have been better if they said your suit was damaged and they slowly were able to bring your systems back on line or something like that.

• Like 1

I went through Other M for the first time a few months back and enjoyed the gameplay well enough. It's also a pretty solid looking game for a Wii title. The big issue is the story. There are some neat twists later on but a lot of it for most of the game is poor and the fact that you cannot skip them makes the playthrough rather painful. I say it's still worth doing, but be prepared to fall asleep at various points in the game because some of these cutscenes drag on what feels like forever.

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

That’s because Team Ninja was not interested in a mature woman ?

The character development arc of the game consists of Samus dealing with PTSD about

Hide contents

the baby Metroid sacrificing itself to save her at the end of Super Metroid.

Given how ruthless Samus has been in past games, this doesn’t really ring true, but it was an easy way for them to emotionally chainjerk their way through the game.

But don't we assist to the origin story of Ridley in that game?? Or is it a flashback?
Instant edit: I just checked a Wiki. You're right.

Spoiler

(it's a clone of Ridley)

Anyway, I really don't care about the story in these games. ;)

And that's why Other M is weaker, because it tried to hard to tell a story imho. But I found the controls very innovative (probably too much for most people unfortunately, since most gamers want their games to be controlled the same way all the time). -_-

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 4:13 PM, jgkspsx said:

I liked Other M except for the lightgun style first person sequences. They really stressed me out much more than a Metroid game normally stresses me :)

I just finished Other M and I agree about the FPS sequences.  The main problem was that 1. there was no way to dodge in the FPS mode so you were a sitting duck unless you quickly dropped back in the regular view, and 2. The Wiimote wasn't quite up to the task of quickly switching between the two modes so there's either a little pause while it registers or it switches quickly but you're facing completely the wrong the direction and at the ceiling.  Nice idea, didn't quite work out.  There were also times in the game where I had no idea what it expected me to do.  The very end of the game is a good example of this.  Some hints would have been nice rather than expecting the player to make some weird leap of logic.

I actually really did enjoy the story in Other M.  I know people complained that it made Samus seem a bit wussy, but to me it actually gave her some relatable human qualities other than 'indestructible badass bounty hunter' which is a bit generic.  It was a bit groan worthy in spots, but not too horrible.  Not nearly as bad as people make it out to be anyway. 

I also finished Super Metroid before playing Other M and it still holds up really well.  It was a bit easier than I remember it being though, especially Ridley.  The only boss that gave me problems was the ghost one, but that's because I kept hitting it with super missiles which made it use a really hard to dodge attack.  I guess if you don't do that then he doesn't do that.

Fusion is next.  First time I'll be playing it, so we'll see how I like it.

• Like 2

The part of Other M’s story I really object to is how Samus is made out to be Adam’s sulky lapdog. The PTSD about the baby actually did seem like a good idea, it just wasn’t executed well. I suppose it also rings a bit hollow in a series where wanton xenocide is how the Federation rolls. I think Metroid as a whole is ripe for a “space pirates are the good guys” interpretation.

3 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

The part of Other M’s story I really object to is how Samus is made out to be Adam’s sulky lapdog. The PTSD about the baby actually did seem like a good idea, it just wasn’t executed well. I suppose it also rings a bit hollow in a series where wanton xenocide is how the Federation rolls. I think Metroid as a whole is ripe for a “space pirates are the good guys” interpretation.

It kind of made sense in a way since she said several times that he was a surrogate father figure.  Maybe that makes her look weak to some, but it me it made her more relatable and human.

• Like 2

Totally agree about Other M. The switch from third to first-person was clunky. The timing was often times pretty strict too and I took a lot of unnecessary damage. Didn't help that I was using my Wii U game pad as a sensor bar just a few feet away from me, so my precision had to be even greater. Needless to say, I flubbed the first person stuff more often than I'd like to admit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

You can using the d-pad, although I don't think I ever used it. Or maybe it was actually by shaking the controller. I forgot, but it's one of those two.

Really?  Huh.  That would helped... :)

Personally I would have loved the game more if they completely ditched those first person parts.  We already have the Metroid Prime series for that sort of thing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tempest said:

Really?  Huh.  That would helped... :)

Personally I would have loved the game more if they completely ditched those first person parts.  We already have the Metroid Prime series for that sort of thing.

Yeah, you can do it, but actually doing it is so awkward that I found it easier to just never use missiles at all because they aren't worth it except for when you absolutely must use them on things the beam can't damage. This is especially true on hard difficulty, as you have only 99 energy and 10 missiles for the entire game, as there are no Energy Tanks or Missile Tanks at all on hard, automatically turning it into a 0% run. I've finished Other M twice on normal and tried it on hard for a little while, but even I don't have enough patience to play the whole thing on hard.

• Like 1