IGNORED

The Hulu Switch Streaming Monopoly

Rick Dangerous

How is it possible that after five years Hulu is the only streaming service available on Switch?  I can only imagine they paid Nintendo a pile of cash to be exclusive?

I remember reading after the console first came out that the Netflix app was "ready to go".  I wonder what happened there, clearly Nintendo signed something with Hulu.  Anyone know the real story? 

• Thanks 1

I don't think you'll get a definitive answer as to why Netflix isn't on there, but it's clearly not an exclusive deal with Hulu as there are at least three other streaming apps - YouTube, Funimation and Pokemon TV - available in most regions.

Most likely, I suspect they're not actively pursuing deals with streaming platforms and are only taking the ones that come to them because it's no longer the selling point for a games console that it was. Practically every new phone and smart TV supports streaming apps anyway, so most people don't need them replicated across a games console as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt_B said:

I don't think you'll get a definitive answer as to why Netflix isn't on there, but it's clearly not an exclusive deal with Hulu as there are at least three other streaming apps - YouTube, Funimation and Pokemon TV - available in most regions.

Most likely, I suspect they're not actively pursuing deals with streaming platforms and are only taking the ones that come to them because it's no longer the selling point for a games console that it was. Practically every new phone and smart TV supports streaming apps anyway, so most people don't need them replicated across a games console as well.

I've felt that was the case they didn't bother either.  The others are dedicated consoles, so they probably did seek it out as they also beyond that run movie disc media too so it makes sense.  Nintendo Switch like it or not(some people get salty) it's a handheld, a hybrid that docks sure, but it's a handheld entirely if you're a LITE owner too.  A handheld gaming console has no use for streaming apps because either you're at home and the TV can handle it, you're at home and your PHONE can handle it, and oops...had to leave, phone still on you so it can still handle it.  It's utterly damn near borderline useless on Switch so it would be a laughable waste of money to pitch/bribe content streamers to put their app on their device as it's just a time and space waster.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've always found consoles to be behind the curve when it comes to streaming.    I would recommend getting something like a Roku or other device,  they have everything available, up to date.   If you want streaming on the go, use a phone or tablet-  their streaming apps will get updated before consoles will.