IGNORED

ebay Best Offer Payment

roadrunner

• 4 weeks later...

Now I fully get the gist of this thread.......make an offer and for that offer to be sent to the seller Ebay forces you into committing to buy by authorizing the payment thru your Paypal.  The funds are immediately obligated and you have to wait for the seller to respond.  Slow, not dumb here......I think

I can see the unfairness issue with those that have low Paypal funds being prevented from other transactions until a seller responds.  I can also see how sellers would like this feature to prevent fuckery from buyers who make offers without ever intending to pay. 

I wonder if the next step for Ebay will be to demand the same compliance on just bidding on an auction.  Not sure they could, given how bids can be increased but with these drastic changes who knows?

Man, I miss the beautiful Ebay of yesteryear!  RIP

I just sent an offer for an item and noticed two minor changes...

1.  I was not given a choice to make the offer valid for 1 or 2 days as in the past.  Offers now appear to be valid for 48 hours by default.

2.  After submitting the offer, the next screen notified me that if the seller accepts my offer, I will have only 4 days to pay for the item.

This is the first time I have seen any changes at all to the Best Offer processor my end.

This is the first time I've run into this auto-pay. I placed an offer yesterday, had to select the payment terms so I chose PayPal Credit. Offer was accepted a few hours later. Ebay shows the item as paid, but PayPal Credit still shows it as pending as of today. Never ran into this pending status with PayPal Credit except in this particular situation.  I've checked everything in Ebay and there doesn't seem to be a way to authorize the transaction to move it along. It's rare that I don't pay for an auction immediately after it ends, so this limbo state is strange to me.

Update: Finally cleared at midnight.

Edited by TheDevil'sCompass

It seems to me that there is a new system in place where the seller may make it a requirement to pre-pay if making an offer but it is not a requirement.  Perhaps the seller also has the option of making offers valid for 24 or 48 hours, since the buyer no longer has this option?

4 hours ago, Psionic said:

It seems to me that there is a new system in place where the seller may make it a requirement to pre-pay if making an offer but it is not a requirement.  Perhaps the seller also has the option of making offers valid for 24 or 48 hours, since the buyer no longer has this option?

Yep I just ran across that option the other day when searching around trying to figure out if I could exclude selling to international buyers despite them using a US based address.