IGNORED

WTB: MiSTer

Cebus Capucinis

Sourcing the DE10-NANO for the MiSTer at this point in time is not possible....or at least not possible without paying some scalper $500 for it (just the primary board!). Not worth that price. The board itself went from $120 to $220 during this pandemic, and even at that it is a half a year out on lead time.

I would recommend Lotharek's MiST if you don't mind using a VGA monitor (as it has VGA as its primary video output) as the Amiga, ST and A8 work just the same on it as the MiSTer. I use one daily. I was able to take images from my real Amiga and ST hard drives and use them on it as well. And of course there are dozens of other cores to play with (SNES, Genesis, NES, SMS, 2600, PC, C64, Vic...etc etc). And, its a ready to go box as you said you want. Just apply power and bring a joystick (and keyboard, mouse), monitor, speakers and an SD card and you are good to go.

The Amiga is configurable to a 68020 with a ton of RAM (for an Amiga!) so it's the best Amiga I have ever owned...lol. I originally purchased it for just Amiga use myself, but found ST works just as perfectly, and A8...and now I have been really enjoying the Next186 core (8086 based) with a bunch of old PC games. Love this little box.

I paid I think about $250 shipped from Lotharek's website in Poland and it took less than two weeks to arrive.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=45

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Here's a good question: any recommendations for a gamepad to be used with it? Realized I need to snag one. Looking for something that can just be used for everything (no need for authenticity for each system etc).

I use a USB cable attached Xbox One Elite controller.  For systems with number pads I use a USB to Jaguar adapter and plain old Jag joystick.

UPDATE:  An original Xbox One controller will do as well.  It fits adult hands and has plenty of buttons.  I went with the Jag adapter over the more popular NTT DATA KEYPAD NDK10 SNES joystick because I already had the Jag controller.  Also, not sure if the extra buttons on the NTT need a USB adapter that recognizes them in particular.

• Like 1

Only my opinion but this controller is the BEST:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZFCRX72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love it so much I purchased a spare ;)

I also purchased one of these so that I can use older keyboards and mice and make my Amiga/ST experience a but more authentic feeling:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009WO6D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I use a USB cable attached Xbox One Elite controller.  For systems with number pads I use a USB to Jaguar adapter and plain old Jag joystick.

UPDATE:  An original Xbox One controller will do as well.  It fits adult hands and has plenty of buttons.  I went with the Jag adapter over the more popular NTT DATA KEYPAD NDK10 SNES joystick because I already had the Jag controller.  Also, not sure if the extra buttons on the NTT need a USB adapter that recognizes them in particular.

Nice! I forgot that I do have a USB XB1 controller.....

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 10:31 PM, Cebus Capucinis said:

Already here! Ridiculously fast shipping. I'm actually shocked it is here so soon. Time to get going!!!!

That's great. Yeah, Lotharek is pretty swift in shipping. Some tips:

1. Upgrade to the latest firmware. The units I received from him (one for myself, one for my brother) had a year old firmware on it from early 2021. That firmware does not handle exFAT formatted large cards. So, I upgraded the firmware using an 8GB SD card and after than was able to use a 128GB exFAT formatted card :)

This 128GB card works like a champ by the way:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JFBRWNP

The firmware I use is this autofire beta firmware which adds autofire option for consoles that I had requested. It is fully stable and works great. Both of the MiST machines I ordered are running it:

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=41511

2. There always has to be a file called "core.rbf" on it in order to start up. To flash the firmware you need some core on there just to get to the flash option. Any core will do. I stuck the SMS core on there just to be able to flash the firmware and renamed it "core.rbf" and put it on the root of the SD card.

3. After you flash and start adding a lot of cores to this, you might want the "core.rbf" just to be a menu core. This guy made a bunch of menu cores. I use his rainbow menu:

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=41111&sid=715cc0241506b66723dbe13f12146236

4. If you are not on the Atari Forum you should join. This is like the main hub for the MiST and developments, questions, help, etc:

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=115

5. Of course all cores are found here:

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-binaries/tree/master/cores

Read the docs for each core as some need BIOS files, etc in certain folders and so on. Some need nothing but some roms. Its all pretty straight forward. If the .rbf file is on the root of the SD card the MiST sees it and can run it.

And again, any help you need let me know. I know this device pretty well at this point :)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

Thanks! Still waiting for a VGA cable to show up - got everything set up. I've got a 2GB SD card to use to update the firmware.

VGA cable should be showing up today - I failed to realize that the older monitor I had stored had DVI, and we were using that rather than its VGA port (thus having a VGA monitor but with a DVI cable hooked up!) Then it's officially off to the races.

EDIT: OOH, a TI-99 core, nice! I was hoping that would be the case but never actually checked into whether it could do TI. Icing on the cake!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Yeah, it's great! I just need to start figuring out how to get virtual hard drives working now so I can just easily WHDLoad (and the ST equivalent) my way into substantial gaming. Currently snagging the ST and C64 TOSEC collections!

If you search online you may be able to find a pre-made Amiga HDD with WHDLoad and all of the things ready to go :)

If not, really the easiest way is to set that up (create the HDD and all) in WinUAE and then bring the completed HDD image to the MiST. For the Amiga I just found an image because I am lazy. For the ST I used the HDD image I created on a real ST some time ago using the PPDriver and adding a huge selecting of HDD adapted games.

Yeah, I might just go that route with Amiga. Found a few that will work, I'll tinker with it this weekend. Bought that controller too, since my Xbox controller doesn't work for some reason (likely a power issue at the controller's connector).

I'm really happy with how easy and workable it is. Just a couple buttons to set the hardware config and off to the races. A slick solution!

I haven't even started looking at the 8086 core.... that alone would sequester me for months playing games!

Adding a mist.ini to the card will allow some more things you can configure in detail. You should check the wiki about that. You can even turn on the leds on the bottom of the MiST as a "knight rider" effect in the ini.

The Next186 core is really nice and actively worked on. It does not handle DOS extenders so no Doom, but it does play a lot of stuff. I have something like 200 games in a virtual hard disk file on this that work just fine. Just another neat core to play with.

I (like you) purchased this primarily for ST and Amiga. But then I started branching out into the other cores and found so much value in this box that it is mind blowing.