IGNORED

Genny Game Genie value?

at the local gamestop they have 2 GG, one with a red label, and one with a metalic looking one. is it worth 5 bucks, and wich one should i get? i was thinking the metalic one, sense it looks newer and therefore has more codes on it.
More codes on it?

The Game Genie is a blank slate.

ASSUMING you get teh right code book, the newer one is better.

Otherwise, just embrace the internet and download all the codes you'll ever need.

Does it come with a code book? If not, it's largely worthless as last time I checked gamegenie.com no longer had codes on it.
Like Gamegenie.com is the only place...

http://www.genesisproject.co.uk/bbggc/GenieManual.html

and

http://www.videogamesource.com/genie/sega_...enie_codes.html

are rather early resultes for a Google search for game genie codes

They had a N64 GG? Wow.. I musta missed that one. I thought that was the Game Shark age by then.

I have the black labelled version of the GG Genesis. The GS has the gold one and I haven't seen the red one yet. I'm tempted to buy the gold labelled one too then get a red one later. Go for them all! ;)

Nah.

Actually, I haven't had any luck in getting the one I have to work. :sad:

I did. I was surprised to find 3 at the store all at once.

If you want me to grab one for ya, bratwurst, I'd be happy to ship it to you for the exact amount it costs me. (Don't ask how much right now. The Genie itself is $4.99+Tax vs. the NES GG which is $2.99.)

Does anyone else notice a trend that the Genesis Game Genies tend to be a little harder to acquire than the SNES/NES ones? I'm still looking for one.

Not true.

The Gamestop where I am had 2 or 3 of these puppies. I picked up one for $4.99.

I also have the NES Game Genie.

Holy shit!

I need to crack it out and try some codes on some games!!! Just gotta find it.

Does anyone else notice a trend that the Genesis Game Genies tend to be a little harder to acquire than the SNES/NES ones?

I've seen a few Genesis genie's around, but I don't think I've ever seen a SNES genie in the wild (seems to be quite a few on eBay though). I've also never seen a Game Gear genie in the wild, but I wouldn't expect the Game Gear version to be easy to find.

Incidentally, I have a Game Boy genie that I bought back when it was new... it's a huge beast that doesn't sit at all properly on a GBA unfortunately... maybe I'll have to keep my eyes open for a Game Shark or something.

By the way, anyone know the history behind why they stopped making Game Genies? After the Genesis/SNES, they just dropped off the gaming scene, and Game Sharks started showing up. Are Pro Action Replays still being made?

--Zero

Speaking of which, I have some spare codebooks around here, 2 NES and one SNES, if anyones interested.

Actually, I could use one of each. But it's not really necessary with the internet. I lost both mine. The NES one got destroyed a long time ago and the SNES one is floating around here somewhere. Intact.

oops, i ment Game Shark, not GG, sorry. its the same thing essentialy. i guess il pick up the red one, sense none of you have it

Darn. I had a feeling it was the GS. I was hoping for a GG.

Were there any other GG's for other systems? Other than GameBoy? All I need is the GameBoy GG and I'll have them all in that case.

Were there any other GG's for other systems? Other than GameBoy? All I need is the GameBoy GG and I'll have them all in that case.

As far as I know, the only Game Genies were for the NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear.

Since when did they make a Game Shark for the Genesis? Are you sure it's a Genesis cartridge and not a Saturn cartridge or something?

--Zero

As far as I know, the only Game Genies were for the NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear.

Since when did they make a Game Shark for the Genesis? Are you sure it's a Genesis cartridge and not a Saturn cartridge or something?

--Zero

Are you directing that second paragraph at me? Because it really doesn't make sense if it's for me. I didn't say there was a Genesis Game Shark.

oops, i ment Game Shark, not GG, sorry. its the same thing essentialy. i guess il pick up the red one, sense none of you have it
Not really.

Game Sharks have codes preloaded.

Game Sharks can search for codes.

Game Sharks modify RAM addresses.

Game Genies have no preloaded codes.

Game Genies cannot search for codes.

Game Genies modify ROM addresses.

In the end the Genie is far more powerful, though the average user may prefer the Shark for ease of use.

Note that prior to the release of the PS2, Game Sharks were actually just US-released Action Replays.

As of now, the makers of the AR and the GS have had a falling out.

AR's manufacturers sell it directly in the US, under the AR name.

Current Game Sharks are software developed by Interact, and by most counts vastly inferior to Action Replays.

at the local gamestop they have 2 GG, one with a red label, and one with a metalic looking one. is it worth 5 bucks, and wich one should i get? i was thinking the metalic one, sense it looks newer and therefore has more codes on it.

I would get both. This way if one of them breaks, you can always use the other one. By the way if you are looking for codes for the Game Genie, here is a site that I recommend:

http://www.genesiscollective.com/

You should download the file that includes a miniature version of the website with info on a lot of Genesis games and codes for the Game Genie. By the way of comparison, I have a game genie that is of a golden color and reminds me in certain ways of Zelda of NES fame. I think the Zelda cart for the NES was gold or maybe I am just confusing it with the gold box for the GBA box for the new Link game.

Are you directing that second paragraph at me? Because it really doesn't make sense if it's for me. I didn't say there was a Genesis Game Shark.

Whoops, I guess I should use quotes more... I was referring to what Mr.FoodMonster said, but now I realize he was talking about the N64 Game Shark that he had, and not about the Genesis Game Genie that he found.

--Zero