IGNORED

Frostbite 400 (for 5200) ??

glurk

Never mind, even though my PC reads all .a52 files as audio files for some reason since I have VLC Media Player on it but my Ataimax does read it properly as a 5200-compatible codec, I foiund out hiow to move my rod and how to feed the line, it's just how do I hook up a fish so I can bring her home, as I am unfamiliar with the gameplay on this program no matter the system, but great work on her!!! I TOLD YA you had the talent and potential but yes my Atarimax DOES read .a52 files as 5200 files while my it seems like my PC (Dell Inspiron Windows 7 Pro laptop) with VLC Media Player reads them though as audio files for some weird reason.

Edited by BIGHMW

Using AtariMax SD Wafer cartridge on a real 4-port 5200 (since fake ones are  hard  to find ?), Frostbite works.   Am floored  how it's near-identical to the 2600 version, even the sounds.

But it plays great, and negates me from having to keep plugging in my 7800 and whipping out the box.

Thanks!

Edited by CommodoreDecker

The rom file does not work in either.  In OpenEmu it only gives options for importing as a Intellivision or Coleco vision game.  It opens as a Coleco game after locating the bios file.  But it does not work.  This is what I see.  And I have no idea what it means or how to turn off the game first.

image.thumb.png.4a782d1faa1679a37cdb596abfab79d2.png

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

The rom file does not work in either.  In OpenEmu it only gives options for importing as a Intellivision or Coleco vision game.  It opens as a Coleco game after locating the bios file.  But it does not work.  This is what I see.  And I have no idea what it means or how to turn off the game first.

image.thumb.png.4a782d1faa1679a37cdb596abfab79d2.png

Think you posted to the wrong thread.  The game ROM here is for the Atari 5200.

It loads and runs fine in Altirra, and apparently works fine when burned to an EPROM chip and run on a real 5200.

What more can I do?  I don't know of 'OpenEmu' or how good of an emulator it is....  If it works on the actual physical 5200 hardware, that's enough for me.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, glurk said:

It loads and runs fine in Altirra, and apparently works fine when burned to an EPROM chip and run on a real 5200.

What more can I do?  I don't know of 'OpenEmu' or how good of an emulator it is....  If it works on the actual physical 5200 hardware, that's enough for me.

Just the rom file.  The other 3 work fine for me.

Well, the ROM file does not have the 16-byte header that lets some emulators autodetect it's type.  Apparently, some people want the file without the header to burn to an EPROM, other people want it with the header to work in emulators, etc...  Can't please everyone, I guess.

31 minutes ago, glurk said:

Well, the ROM file does not have the 16-byte header that lets some emulators autodetect it's type.  Apparently, some people want the file without the header to burn to an EPROM, other people want it with the header to work in emulators, etc...  Can't please everyone, I guess.

As long as something works its ok.  Just offer 2 or 3 links for different types and let people choose what works best for them.

Well...  As I said, my main concern is 'does my game work correctly on physical 5200 hardware.'  That's my goal.

Emulators come in various states of completion / ability.  Some work better than others.  So if my game fails to load in some particular flavor of emulator, that may very well speak more towards the quality of the emulator itself than of my program.

Now, if someone told me that my programs fail to work on a '2 port 5200' or something, I'd be concerned.  And I would work to fix it.  But with emulators, maybe the emulator just sucks...  Who knows.  That would be a problem for the emulator authors to deal with...

The only thing I ask for, really, is for reports of any problems on the ACTUAL HARDWARE.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2022 at 4:03 PM, glurk said:

Well, that's the exact same file I posted, with the extension (last three letters) changed from CAR to BIN.  And it looks like sometimes A52 is used (?)

As I said, I don't own a 5200, and I don't really want one either.  I really know little about them, but from a programmer's POV getting it ported was rather easy.  Mostly just had to make the needed changes in my "atari.h" equates file.

That said, I doubt I'll ever bother doing this again.   I still don't even know if it works fully and correctly on the real HW because it seems that absolutely no one is even willing to download it and test it and tell me if it works...  And not dissing you Ray, but I'm not going to bother with porting my stuff for an audience of one.

Thanks for telling me about the file naming convention though, I did not know about that.

You are not converting to an audience of one.  The 5200 group is a tight knit cult like group that has a very loyal following.  I downloaded Freeway and will try this out when I have some free time.  I appreciate your efforts.

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

You are not converting to an audience of one.  The 5200 group is a tight knit cult like group that has a very loyal following.  I downloaded Freeway and will try this out when I have some free time.  I appreciate your efforts.

THAT'S for sure, we ARE a very loyal community, in fact that's why when it came that time where I had to pick between my XEGS and Big Sexy, it was NO CONTEST, the 5200 IS STILL HERE, and thanks @glurk for making this happen FOR ALL OF US not just myself, your efforts are now being rewarded for with all the downloads and kind comments you have received on your work, not just from myself but from others as well.

I definitely want to review some of your work on my (soon-to-be) new miniseries The Atari 5200 SuperReport, and I'm gonna feature you first on the inaugural episode on the first week of April when I do launch that new miniseries to my Ray Jackson YouTube channel.

First it was Barnstorming, then Frostbite, then Fishing Derby, and now Freeway, I say @glurk really has his groove going on here on AA, he is an up-and-coming, rising star in the 8-bit/5200 programming world, and the numbers prove it. And with the mentoring and advice of Paul Lay @playsoft there just might be no end to what this man is capable of putting out for 8-bit/Big Sexy!!!

• 7 months later...
On 3/3/2022 at 4:17 AM, glurk said:

Just going to add here, I think 'Fishing Derby' is working now.  Hell, I don't know.  Maybe the stars will get aligned right, and someone will test it out and tell me.

It's my best try, anyway:

Fishing Derby [5200].a52 16.02 kB · 75 downloads

Thanks for all these nice 2600 conversions.. Just one slight, subtle thing that is important to gameplay strategy in Fishing Derby.  The speed for pulling the fish in is supposed to be slower and it speeds up when you press down the A button.  Plus the fish tend to resist a little more on the original than they do on your version.  Otherwise, good work!