IGNORED

Frostbite 400 (for 5200) ??

glurk

OK, the previous one was a bust, since 'Barnstorming' used only STICK0, Paul Lay's code only handled one joystick.  But I think I've fixed it so AT LEAST the one player mode works.  Maybe the 2 player works also.  I DO NOT have a 5200, so cannot test, except with Altirra.  And the key mapping stuff confuses me.

I rely on people to TELL ME if it works or not.  If someone tells me it's OK, I might try converting 'Fishing Derby' next.

So please people - SOMEONE - test this thing (new one) and make sure it's OK. 

Frostbite 400 [5200].car

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glurk said:

OK, the previous one was a bust, since 'Barnstorming' used only STICK0, Paul Lay's code only handled one joystick.  But I think I've fixed it so AT LEAST the one player mode works.  Maybe the 2 player works also.  I DO NOT have a 5200, so cannot test, except with Altirra.  And the key mapping stuff confuses me.

I rely on people to TELL ME if it works or not.  If someone tells me it's OK, I might try converting 'Fishing Derby' next.

Frostbite 400 [5200].car 16.02 kB · 1 download

Time for you to also get (the unit also known as) Big Sexy into your console lineup, I highly welcome (and would recommend to other dev's out there to open up and do the same) more A8-to-5200 conversions and since you're the OG developer of both Barnstorming as well as this and Fishing Derby I have to (in advance) say "Thanks!"

Even though you're just using her as a test console to see if your ports work properly I highly recommend you have one, you never know, it may even be habit forming to the point where you just might like the SuperSystem better, at least for some games.

EDIT: ...oh and BTW, .car files will not work with the 5200, they have to be either .bin, or .rom files for them to work properly, that and keep in mind that she also runs on a different OS than the A8/XL/XE lineup does but best of luck to you, welcome aboard and looking forward to those conversions!!!

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1

Well, that's the exact same file I posted, with the extension (last three letters) changed from CAR to BIN.  And it looks like sometimes A52 is used (?)

As I said, I don't own a 5200, and I don't really want one either.  I really know little about them, but from a programmer's POV getting it ported was rather easy.  Mostly just had to make the needed changes in my "atari.h" equates file.

That said, I doubt I'll ever bother doing this again.   I still don't even know if it works fully and correctly on the real HW because it seems that absolutely no one is even willing to download it and test it and tell me if it works...  And not dissing you Ray, but I'm not going to bother with porting my stuff for an audience of one.

Thanks for telling me about the file naming convention though, I did not know about that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, glurk said:

Well, that's the exact same file I posted, with the extension (last three letters) changed from CAR to BIN.  And it looks like sometimes A52 is used (?)

As I said, I don't own a 5200, and I don't really want one either.  I really know little about them, but from a programmer's POV getting it ported was rather easy.  Mostly just had to make the needed changes in my "atari.h" equates file.

That said, I doubt I'll ever bother doing this again.   I still don't even know if it works fully and correctly on the real HW because it seems that absolutely no one is even willing to download it and test it and tell me if it works...  And not dissing you Ray, but I'm not going to bother with porting my stuff for an audience of one.

Thanks for telling me about the file naming convention though, I did not know about that.

Shame.

Works fine though.

And it's a great game

• Like 1

CAR files have a 16 byte header and so wouldn't be exactly a multiple of 1024 (bytes).

So I wouldn't expect a car renamed to bin (or rom) to work but complain it was the wrong size. 

Looking at the file above it would seem to be correct, as a bin/rom would be 16384 bytes and the car loads into Altirra without asking what the type is.

image.thumb.png.279258967b19d8af0b711e74cd52e9bc.png

39 minutes ago, glurk said:

...  And not dissing you Ray, but I'm not going to bother with porting my stuff for an audience of one.

Well @glurk your program is not being downloaded by "....an audience of one" by any means, in fact, your first attempt (the first .car file) is up to 7 downloads as of this post, the second .car file 5 times, including myself, and my .bin file has been downloaded 6 times so far,, so you made an impact on the 5200 forums, remember I was the one who sprouted the success and attention that Barnstorming got after (pretty much) being ignored on the 8-bit/5200 programming subforums, believe me, that didn't draw "....an audience of one" after I pretty much propped up and "PR'ed" your great program in which I still play every once in a while, so don't give up hope!!! You have programming talent, you have something that my entertainment career of these past 27 years never had, mainstream attention, and, what it takes!!!

I would love to see Fishing Derby converted and believe me, that will not draw "....an audience of one" either, if I have anything to do with it. When Paul Lay @playsoft first converted Yar's Strike 2 years ago, I myself and others knew it would be a success, and you know what.... I was right, so hang in there!!! :) 

Edited by BIGHMW

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

I would love to see Fishing Derby converted

On 2/27/2022 at 7:15 PM, Stephen said:

Great - I've marked this day on my calendar so I'll know to look for your next post asking for a conversion which will definitely hit before March 23rd.

I win my bet - 21 entire days before I was holding out. Wow - didn't even make it 3 days.

• Haha 2

Stephen-

TBH, that's a bit unfair, since I posted that I "kinda" offered / considered doing it...  But it's a bit frustrating.  I don't own the 5200 hardware, and I ask the merest, tiniest, little thing - for somebody to play/test it out and let me know if it all works correctly.   And I. Get. Nothing.

The sound of crickets.  And if people want new 5200 ports, IMO they could AT LEAST lift a finger to help out the developer.  The complete, total, utter lack of response makes me not even want to try.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, glurk said:

Stephen-

TBH, that's a bit unfair, since I posted that I "kinda" offered / considered doing it...  But it's a bit frustrating.  I don't own the 5200 hardware, and I ask the merest, tiniest, little thing - for somebody to play/test it out and let me know if it all works correctly.   And I. Get. Nothing.

The sound of crickets.  And if people want new 5200 ports, IMO they could AT LEAST lift a finger to help out the developer.  The complete, total, utter lack of response makes me not even want to try.

It's OK.  there was another request for 5200 ports of some recent Japanese games, so that one may have been even earlier.  I got caught up at work and couldn't keep up my usual level of vigilance :)

P.S.

I have no way of testing on real 5200 so can't be of any assistance there.

45 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Both .car files work in Atari800MacX.  And the bin file works in OpenEmu.

Thank you.  This is the kind of feedback I need.  I was fairly certain that they would load and run, but can you verify that both 1 and 2 player modes work correctly with two joysticks, and that the game select/start buttons work as should be expected?  I'm pretty certain that the first one I posted was unplayable (I think so...)

I only have the ability to test in Altirra, and due to not having the real HW, I can't be certain of things working in "real life" on a real 5200.  That's why I have to rely on others to test for me.  I don't want to post something that's broken and not even know that it is....

52 minutes ago, glurk said:

Thank you.  This is the kind of feedback I need.  I was fairly certain that they would load and run, but can you verify that both 1 and 2 player modes work correctly with two joysticks, and that the game select/start buttons work as should be expected?  I'm pretty certain that the first one I posted was unplayable (I think so...)

I only have the ability to test in Altirra, and due to not having the real HW, I can't be certain of things working in "real life" on a real 5200.  That's why I have to rely on others to test for me.  I don't want to post something that's broken and not even know that it is....

Which computer do you have?  Mac or PC.

And in monterey my joysticks are not working right now.

Edited by 0078265317

Keyboard is not working either in the .car files.  No start pause and reset options.

The bin file works in open emu with keyboard support.  I can switch back to Big Sur since its on my internal and the Monterey is on my external.  But I slipped in the kitchen over the drawer I forgot to close after opening it on the way back out about an hour ago.  Nothing serious.  But my wrist and leg hurt.  So it will be a few days before I fell like using a joystick again.  I will see later.

Edited by 0078265317

Sorry about your injury.  I'm on a PC using Altirra, btw.  Since I'm 'borrowing' Paul Lay's code from his conversion of 'Barnstorming' this game should only use the # or * (?) key for select, and in the emulator F2 is start, and works.  I don't know what the real hardware uses?  There are no pause or reset options, since this is a port from the 2600->8-bit->5200, LOL.

I do know it seems to load and play correctly in Altirra.  I really just did this as a test / challenge / experiment, whatever.

I've even been trying to get 'Fishing Derby' working, but it has some issues that I can't seem to solve.  I did not enjoy working on that one originally, and trying to get another game working on a machine I don't even own is probably not even a good idea, especially since I don't even have confirmation that this one works alright... 

19 minutes ago, glurk said:

Sorry about your injury.  I'm on a PC using Altirra, btw.  Since I'm 'borrowing' Paul Lay's code from his conversion of 'Barnstorming' this game should only use the # or * (?) key for select, and in the emulator F2 is start, and works.  I don't know what the real hardware uses?  There are no pause or reset options, since this is a port from the 2600->8-bit->5200, LOL.

I do know it seems to load and play correctly in Altirra.  I really just did this as a test / challenge / experiment, whatever.

I've even been trying to get 'Fishing Derby' working, but it has some issues that I can't seem to solve.  I did not enjoy working on that one originally, and trying to get another game working on a machine I don't even own is probably not even a good idea, especially since I don't even have confirmation that this one works alright... 

Thanks.  Its not too bad.  I will be fine in few days.  Anyhow I am not a programer.  Just testing the roms.

23 hours ago, glurk said:

Frostbite 400 [5200].car 16.02 kB · 17 downloads

Hi, I have tried to burn your file onto a 16K eprom but the file is 16 bytes too long to fit. Sorry for the delay in response, there is a bit of a time deifference bewtween AU and the US. Cheers.

2 hours ago, glurk said:

Just going to add here, I think 'Fishing Derby' is working now.  Hell, I don't know.  Maybe the stars will get aligned right, and someone will test it out and tell me.

It's my best try, anyway:

Fishing Derby [5200].a52 16.02 kB · 2 downloads

same issue with this file. I am still using eproms with the atari 5200 :-)

fishing derby.jpg

It's a 16 byte header that Altirra uses to autodetect the type.  You can just chop off the first 16 bytes, and use the rest to burn an EPROM.

The FIRST 16 bytes, the last 16 MUST be there!!!

Edited by glurk

54 minutes ago, glurk said:

It's a 16 byte header that Altirra uses to autodetect the type.  You can just chop off the first 16 bytes, and use the rest to burn an EPROM.

The FIRST 16 bytes, the last 16 MUST be there!!!

Ok Thanks. I'm not familiar with this game but it seems to work fine :-)

20220303_225537.jpg

Edited by Nik Brisevac
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 10:34 PM, glurk said:

Frostbite 400 [5200].car 16.02 kB · 18 downloads

Works great on a 16k Eprom with the 16byte header removed. Fantastic work ! Much appreciated !

20220303_232855.jpg

Edited by Nik Brisevac
  • Like 1