IGNORED

PhillyClassic + Videotopia!!!

davidnewman

I just want to say that the Philly Classic website looks great! The color scheme is very nice and very cool. Kudos to whoever laid it out! Is there going to be a forum on the site as well?

Gonna try to see if I can make it out to Philly Classic 5 and get a chance to see Philly since I've never been there before...

Hey thanks! :) I worked a long time tweaking that site, Matt Peackock did the original nuke site for PC3/4 but I skinned the whole thing and the rest of the content pages are all outside of postnuke and are my design.

We will be adding forums, probably by October. Also there are many many events shaping up that will be listed in the weeks and months to come. We've got a lot of stuff cooking.

thanks again

-Mark

How much were room rates last year at the hotel?  If their cheap enough I might do both days.  I really want to save the dough for carts :D

To save money, use the net to search hotels in the area. I would use Obelix to find hotels within a few miles and then go to the individual hotels web sites to get rate quotes. (I used mapquest to confirm the distance.)

Stan and I stayed at the Hilton last year. It was comparable in quality to the Radison and $30/night cheaper than the special rate. And we were only a mile away from the convention center.

How much were room rates last year at the hotel?  If their cheap enough I might do both days.  I really want to save the dough for carts :D

To save money, use the net to search hotels in the area. I would use Obelix to find hotels within a few miles and then go to the individual hotels web sites to get rate quotes. (I used mapquest to confirm the distance.)

Stan and I stayed at the Hilton last year. It was comparable in quality to the Radison and $30/night cheaper than the special rate. And we were only a mile away from the convention center.

If anyone wants to pay $0 a night and doesn't mind a 50 mile commute back and forth from the show, I may have a very comfy couch to offer. :D

Stan and I stayed at the Hilton last year.  It was comparable in quality to the Radison and $30/night cheaper than the special rate.  And we were only a mile away from the convention center.

The Mainstay Suites about a mile from the con were also very nice, and we got a great nightly rate on our room using an alumni membership discount. It would be nice to see some recommended rates on the site discounted for PC attendees though just so I can do a little comparison shopping. :D

Is there going to be a forum on the site as well?

Wanted to come in and answer this since Ruddy hasn't yet. :>

Yes, we activated the forums last week when we moved the site to a new server. We have just a few forums that are specific for PC5, so we can keep you updated on what we have planned for the event and keep anything discussed there focused on PC5.

It's gonna be great, trust me.

I'll introduce myself now - I'm one of Ruddy's people that has been brought in, we're merging in with David's people that have run the show for the past few years. PC4 was really my first classic gaming show of any kind, and one thing that struck me there was the sense of community more than the games. I showed up with a group of people from another forum (G4) and had a blast - and I know Atariage sends even more people than we can dream of. That's the kind of thing that I personally want to emphasize at a show like this - it's not really about the games, they're just the backdrop. It's really celebrating those who love the games. That's us.

I don't really remember what games I played last year at PC4...But I remember who I hung out with and who I got to meet. THAT was the amazing part.

I'm also a big proponent of not just having classic as in "old" games, but perhaps more of what ESPN Classic would call "Instant Classics" also at the show. I don't want to take anything away from the Atari's and Intellivision's at the show at ALL - what I want to see happen is us luring the younger gamers in with the possibility of a Halo 2 tournament and then they get to play the old games we grew up with. So, don't be too surprised with some of that...I myself am actually working on bringing up to PC5 a bunch of rhythm games that are only available in Japan (such as Beatmania IIDX, Taiko no-Tatsujin and others) to bring in that crowd. (Yeah, DDR will be there too.)

Of course, if anyone has any suggestions on what you'd love to see, stop by our forums and let us know!

Bobby "Blackwolf" Tamburrino

Web Administrator, Co-Organizer

http://www.phillyclassic.com/

• 1 month later...

#$%*@!! Every freakin' year, PhillyClassic is held the same weekend as NSCA (National Systems Contractor Association convention). It's just amazing. Doesn't matter if the date bounces around a bit; the two always coincide, and because I have to cover NSCA for my job, I never get to go to Philly. This suuuuucks. :thumbsdown:

That's no excuse, Dolt! :D

You should try what I did today when I arranged my vacation time with my manager in the outside smoking area at work for PC5....

"Hi Andy!"

"Hello."

"Hey, Andy, I want to go on vacation next March for two weeks."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Any particular reason?"

"Yeah!"

" ....Oh! Okay."

"Thanks Andy!"

Works every time! ;)

You should try what I did today when I arranged my vacation time with my manager in the outside smoking area at work for PC5....

Believe me, I would. NSCA is probably going to be the site of the release party of my book (advertised at the left there), so I gotta be there. I mean, I could release it at PC5, but somehow I don't thing there'll be that many sound reinforcement engineers there to buy copies. :wink:

Oh well, I guess there's always PC6; either than or I organize a New York event, and I don't think I have the talent/ingeniousness/cajones to put something like that together.

Believe me, I would. NSCA is probably going to be the site of the release party of my book (advertised at the left there), so I gotta be there. I mean, I could release it at PC5, but somehow I don't thing there'll be that many sound reinforcement engineers there to buy copies. :wink:

Oh well, I guess there's always PC6; either than or I organize a New York event, and I don't think I have the talent/ingeniousness/cajones to put something like that together.

Damn. Sorry you won't be there. I've been an Audio Engineer for about 15 years now. I have two studios in Philly and back in the early 90's I did nothing but outdoor sound and live recording for festival concerts as well as clubs and conventions.

So you would maybe sell ONE copy, that is unless I find that vectrex controller for the right price this year ;) *checks wallet, counts money, puts wallet away*

This weekend PhillyClassic will have a booth at a huge tech expo run by the local NBC affilliate. Check http://www.phillyclassic.com for details if any of you regional local folks are interested in seeing what we're up to.

cheers

-Mark

• 3 weeks later...

It's finally official. I just placed my order for two weekend passes - one for me and one for the Mrs. It's too bad the PayPal payment window for adding extra comments wasn't available though, or I would have put down our full names for each one. I imagine we'll end up wearing AA badges again anyway though. :D

• 5 weeks later...

I've never been to any of the conventions, but I'm going to PC5 this time. Does anybody know if any of the vendors sell the Dreamcast dancepad and the DC compatible maracas that's available from Lik-Sang or the equivalent? I was going to order them from Lik-Sang but the shipping is ridiculous. I'd be willing to wait until March and get them at PC5 if that kind of stuff is available there.