IGNORED

Do you think the lost Parker Bros games for the VCS will be found?

THE AtariGuy

5 hours ago, classicgamer74 said:

With that in mind, the Incredible Hulk game might not have not got much further than the concept stage.

I'm not too sure about that.

Parker was quite far in promoting the game to the public.

The other games Parker made promo boxes for were made.

8)

8 hours ago, classicgamer74 said:

This is one that I'd like to see remade.  Although I'm not all that sure how it actually worked.  The split screen is kind of confusing (if you look at the mockup screenshot).  If you look elsewhere in the some PB catalog you will see other 2600 games' screenshots.  And the released product didn't look anything like what was advertised.  I think Matt once pointed out that these "screenshots" are artist's renditions of what they might look like.  With that in mind, the Incredible Hulk game might not have not got much further than the concept stage.  Even with the crumbling game market, you'd think they would have made the game since they paid for the licensing.  

It's really hard to tell.  Sometime the artist renditions are pretty darn close to the actual game and sometimes they're pretty far off.   It doesn't look like a real screenshot to me though, I'm not sure if PB used real screenshots due to the difficulty of getting them with technology of the day and the fact that most of these boxes and catalogs were put out long before the game was finalized.

I think Hulk was finished or close to being finished, but that's just a gut feeling, I'm not basing that on any evidence.

I agree. I have also always felt that Hulk was most likely finished or at the very least had reached a fully playable state and was close to final. Spider-Man was not only a big seller, it was also a great game. The first time I played it at a friends house, I really enjoyed it. And Spider-Man was one of their early games. So not only did Parker Brothers have plenty of time to put a Hulk game together before they closed their game division, they would have actively pursued it.

• Like 2

Yeah you missed a big debate on who was going to distribute it for the Atari 2600. 

The only knock against Hulk having reached a fully playable version or having been completed is that if this was true you'd think that there would be some review carts or internal beta test carts somewhere.  Once a game was pretty much done they made several copies for people to test with which would increase the odds of at least onebeing found.  Then again look how long it took for Ewok Adventure and LotR to turn up and both of those were 100% finished. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Supergun said:

Matt, from what source did those fairly recent 2600 Parker Brothers early betas come from that you posted about recently?

(the Super Cobra demo and the Popeye with nicer colors, etc.)

Were they from a former PB employee?

I'm not sure I'm allowed to say.  @Dutchman2000 will have to answer that one.

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

I'm not sure I'm allowed to say.  @Dutchman2000 will have to answer that one.

Super Cobra was programmed by Roklan Corporation for Parker Brothers and Popeye was started at Roklan but finished at On Time Software. 

Both of those protos were found in the archive of a retired programmer who at one time worked for both companies. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Supergun said:

Matt, from what source did those fairly recent 2600 Parker Brothers early betas come from that you posted about recently?

(the Super Cobra demo and the Popeye with nicer colors, etc.)

Were they from a former PB employee?

Popeye with the nicer colors?  Which proto was that?

9 hours ago, Dutchman2000 said:

Super Cobra was programmed by Roklan Corporation for Parker Brothers and Popeye was started at Roklan but finished at On Time Software. 

Both of those protos were found in the archive of a retired programmer who at one time worked for both companies. 

You're talking about the released Super Cobra, right?

AFAIK the Super Cobra proto was done by Mike Brodie at Parker.

8)