IGNORED

A Question About MMU's...

DavidMil

Are all Atari chip's (C061618) programmed the same?  I found a set of eight of these chips on a piece of antistatic foam in a small zip lock bag

in my closet.  The manufacture dates vary from 8316 to 8348 (which covers most of a 1983).  Can this same chip be used in all XL's and XE's?

Thanks,

DavidMil  

13 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

I heard somewhere, that XEGS has a different MMU chip but since I don't own one, I cannot verify.

yes but it has a different 'CO' number so they cant be mixed up

i think the 1200XL has a diff'rent one too

• Like 1

In my limited experience fixing A8s I have used the same MMU chip in 800XLs (incl XLF), 600XL, and 3 x XE lines, (65XE, 130XE and 800XE).

XEGS and 1200XL I couldn't comment. Wonder why the XEGS wouldn't use the same MMU as the XE series given when they were manuafactured towards the end of the Atari lines.

• Like 1

GS is different in few ways but it's not the same CO number and the 1200XL is different and again not the same CO.

I thought the question was if the different dates of the chip and makers would work interchangeably or if they were also different in some way. They are functionally the same and work in the main lines You can take an XE's and stick it in an XL, vice versa.

Edited by _The Doctor__

10 hours ago, DavidMil said:

Are all Atari chip's (C061618) programmed the same?  I found a set of eight of these chips on a piece of antistatic foam in a small zip lock bag

in my closet.  The manufacture dates vary from 8316 to 8348 (which covers most of a 1983).  Can this same chip be used in all XL's and XE's?

These are the XL/XE MMU part #'s I'm aware of:

C060609 = 1200XL

C061917 = 1400XL (PAL A?)

C061618 = 600XL/800XL/65XE/130XE/800XE

C101686 = XEGS

Any digits like -01 / -03 after the above codes are merely manufacturing batch / production run ID's that bear no functional difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nezgar said:

These are the XL/XE MMU part #'s I'm aware of:

C060609 = 1200XL

C061917 = 1400XL (PAL A?)

C061618 = 600XL/800XL/65XE/130XE/800XE

C101686 = XEGS

Any digits like -01 / -03 after the above codes are merely manufacturing batch / production run ID's that bear no functional difference.

I had actually forgotten about the 1200.  My spare 1200XL doesn't have a case or shielding so I got it out and it is a different part number.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to open up some computers and start swapping MMU's.

David

Edited by DavidMil
Spelling error.

C061618 = 600XL/800XL/65XE/130XE/800XE   no need to worry about swapping these as I've done it thousands of times, they are interchangeable.

The GS and 1200XL are not...

1400's and 1450's do not walk through everyday so if you have a ton of them, it's a great time to be alive.

• 3 weeks later...

I am playing with 1200XL MMU. I am just guessing the equations inside based on 800 MMU.

Original chip is C080809, replacement- PALCE16V8H.

Attached files are source code (equations) and compiled JEDEC file for PALCE chip.

Tested with original Basic cartridge CXL4002, Pac-man CXL4022, Basketball CXL4004, without cartridge. There is problem- either my 1200 is with some problems, or there is need for pull-up on pin 18 of the MMU. It is BE and in schematic it is floating? It is possible to disable this pin in equations... but why it is in the schematics?

Version without BE is "1201". And "new" PALCE chip is so cold, compared to original.

AT1200.JED AT1200.PDS

AT1201.JED AT1201.PDS

Edited by Levas
additional files

3 hours ago, Levas said:

I am playing with 1200XL MMU. I am just guessing the equations inside based on 800 MMU.

Do you mean the 800XL MMU?

On the 800XL pin 18 of the MMU is an input which connects to pin 11(PB1) of the PIA, I believe this is used for enabling/disabling internal BASIC, pin 13 of the MMU is the output to the BASIC ROM. Since the 1200XL didn't come with internal BASIC this function wouldn't have been implemented in the 1200XL MMU

My guess was based on 1200XL schematic available in this forum. And, yes, I was using equations from 800XL MMU source listing. Version without BE (basic enable) is stable. Maybe original MMU PAL(?) chip has build in pull-up. Maybe there was plan to build BASIC in 1200XL, but due to hurry it was discarded.

I've lost PAL->GAL fuse conversion program. And I don't have any GAL software. Maybe someone could convert fuse maps to GAL version, as there are much more available GAL programmers compared to PAL/PALCE.

Look, what nice RAM chips my 1200XL have... :)

20220331_223938.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

The 1200xl doesn't have internal BASIC?  I didn't know that.

The 1200XL was the first of the XL series and used a BASIC cartridge like the 400/800, the later 600XL and 800XL models were the first to have internal BASIC.

• Thanks 1