IGNORED

FujiNet without the "Net"

Sorry in advance if this was asked before, but I couldn't find an answer to this.

My question is, can I use the FujiNet without a WiFi connection? Or is it obligatory to have one even if I would want to use it only with the SD card?

For what I see a network connection is a must, unless there is another way around it. 

1 hour ago, scelbi8h said:

Sorry in advance if this was asked before, but I couldn't find an answer to this.

My question is, can I use the FujiNet without a WiFi connection? Or is it obligatory to have one even if I would want to use it only with the SD card?

For what I see a network connection is a must, unless there is another way around it. 

Yes, it can be used with just the SD card. When you boot into FujiNet CONFIG it will do a wifi scan if not connected. Just press 'S'kip to get to the hosts screen and you can mount disks from the SD card.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Kinda along these same lines. Would it be possible to have an option to allow one to enable/disable network connectivity and not have to constantly skip the search each and every time FujiNet is powered on with no WiFi. This selection should be non-volatile, so as to be restored when powered back up.

And to add to this... what about having FujiNet remember maybe up to 10 previous WiFi portals and associated passwords, so that if it sees one of these when doing the power-up search it can automatically log-in. This would make it work just like your phone or tablet, and save the headache of having to re-enter this information every time you switch location.

8 hours ago, mytek said:

Kinda along these same lines. Would it be possible to have an option to allow one to enable/disable network connectivity and not have to constantly skip the search each and every time FujiNet is powered on with no WiFi. This selection should be non-volatile, so as to be restored when powered back up.

This could be done by adding a new webui config option to enable/disable wifi. Then atari side config could check this value before scanning for networks and skip automatically if set to disabled.

8 hours ago, mytek said:

And to add to this... what about having FujiNet remember maybe up to 10 previous WiFi portals and associated passwords, so that if it sees one of these when doing the power-up search it can automatically log-in. This would make it work just like your phone or tablet, and save the headache of having to re-enter this information every time you switch location.

This is more difficult. The esp32 only stores the last known network so this would require adding "slots" for wifi networks and corresponding passphrases. These would be saved in the INI file and if the default network is not available, call that list and iterate through them. Doable, but not as easy as the first feature request. Are there really that many people with portable Atari's that need this feature? I can see the utility of it, but I think most users have their FujiNet/Atari in one place and wouldn't be bothered to enter a new password if they take it to a show or friends house for the day.

You can open an issue for these two feature requests on Github

12 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I can see the utility of it, but I think most users have their FujiNet/Atari in one place and wouldn't be bothered to enter a new password if they take it to a show or friends house for the day.

This sounds reasonable, but then it would be nice if one could tell the Fujinet NOT to save the WiFi network in this particular case.

3 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Are there really that many people with portable Atari's that need this feature?

It's those pesky 578NUC+ owners ;)

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

on off skip great idea, 3 to 7 entries would be fine for most folks. quick forget is a wonderful idea as well.

Actually in my case, realistically I only travel between 3 different WiFi spots on a regular basis. So probably 4 entries would be good. If those were set-up as WiFi slots which can be edited, then you could still have one on the fly as it's presently done, so that if you went to a meet-up you could log-in without erasing your preset ones.

4 hours ago, mozzwald said:

You can open an issue for these two feature requests on Github

I'm not a GitHub guy, so perhaps someone that's already signed up and likes any of these ideas, can open a request.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 11:29 PM, mytek said:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/issues/492

I've got the basics done for this in the latest firmware update. It requires one to edit the fnconfig.ini on the SD card and set enabled=0 in the [WiFi] section.

I went this route since:

1. it doesn't make sense to add the option to the webui since disabling wifi means you lose the ability to turn it back on via the webui ;) 
  2. if you aren't using wifi then you should be using an SD card because without wifi OR sd card, FujiNet is kinda pointless :lol:
  3. path of least resistance for me to make it happen cuz I bet no one else would ever get around to it :D 

It would take more work to add the option in Atari side CONFIG and require another new command for the Fuji device. If what I've done isn't enough, you can reopen the issue and request more changes, otherwise it's a done deal.

The other issue https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/issues/493 seems like a doosie and probably out of my skill range. Probably take me every waking hour in a year to code that up :rolling:

• Like 6

Thank you very much. 

It is handy indeed  to be able to skip wifi search, lets say if you are on a classic computing event without a wifi access point.

On the other hand, I make a mobile hotspot with my cellphone in that case, 'cause that feature has to be shown on a event...

Stefan 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2022 at 6:19 PM, mozzwald said:

Yes, it can be used with just the SD card. When you boot into FujiNet CONFIG it will do a wifi scan if not connected. Just press 'S'kip to get to the hosts screen and you can mount disks from the SD card.

Apologies up front if I'm overlooking the obvious, but I can't seem to make my Fujinet skip the wifi scan and go directly to the SD Card. I can get it to stop the scan and prompt me to enter an SSID. 

My SD card has fnconfig.ini and a few .atx files, and is formatted in FAT32. 

I wish there was a prompt up front giving the user the option to scan or skip wifi. 

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

On 5/18/2022 at 9:06 PM, mozzwald said:

edit the fnconfig.ini on the SD card and set enabled=0 in the [WiFi] section

As mentioned above, you can edit the config file on the sd card with a text editor on a PC to disable wifi. A list of all the config file options are on the wiki

You'll also need a newer firmware than 2022-05-19 so make sure you're updated.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

As mentioned above, you can edit the config file on the sd card with a text editor on a PC to disable wifi. A list of all the config file options are on the wiki

You'll also need a newer firmware than 2022-05-19 so make sure you're updated.

Wow! Thank you mozzwald for the quick response and the .ini setting. Will download the newer firmware now!

Again, many thanks!!!!

• Like 1