IGNORED

Retro Chip Tester Professional: Any got one of these yet?

Gunstar

While doing some electronics research online today, I stumbled across this device, and fell in love at first sight/read. This will easily pay for it self, for me, in time saved trouble shooting. I filled out the contact form through a link provided at the site linked below, and am awaiting a reply on purchasing one. Hopefully fully assembled versions are available so I can start using it as soon as it arrives, but if I have to build it myself, I will. Dropping all projects to build this and then returning to them I'll probably cut my trouble-shooting time to a fraction of what it is now and I'll finish all my repairs much faster than without it anyway. I'm really excited about this device!

https://8bit-museum.de/sonstiges/hardware-projekte/hardware-projekte-chip-tester-english/

RCTPro.thumb.jpg.43bae6208a5055725b02ef7cfc620d31.jpg

• Like 2

Nice piece of kit, did he say how much the adaptors cost, there's quite a few, I like the fact

it supports and can program EPROMS although it says it can only Program the smaller ones

that I don't think are used very much these days, would be nice if it could program the larger

ones.

I have one that I built. I did see one preassembled on EBay, but opted to assemble it myself. It was an involved assembly (I had the board with the microcontroller soldered on and programmed), but so satisfying to see it boot up after it was complete. It does take some time to find and order the parts. The creator is very responsive and helpful. I love it and recommend it.

E17C19D6-72E5-4374-9DA9-D86179351F95.jpeg

Edited by JGRAHAM2
Add photo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

I have one that I built. I did see one preassembled on EBay, but opted to assemble it myself. It was an involved assembly (I had the board with the microcontroller soldered on and programmed), but so satisfying to see it boot up after it was complete. It does take some time to find and order the parts. The creator is very responsive and helpful. I love it and recommend it.

E17C19D6-72E5-4374-9DA9-D86179351F95.jpeg

What did the board cost and what was the assembled one selling for on eBay? I'm still waiting on a reply from the contact sheet I filled out and I have no clue what they sell for since that info seems to be no were. I also checked eBay before filling out the contact form just hoping to be able to buy one and not jump through all the contact hoops in ordering one and waiting for a response, which I LOATH doing, but am anyway, as I want one so badly. But there were no listings for it. I am hoping for an assembled one, if I can afford it that way, as I need it for a 1001 other hardware projects and would rather not make it 1002 and just have it ready to use for the 1001 projects I already have...

Edited by Gunstar

29 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Is it all through-hole soldering? I'm getting way too shaky for SMD soldering.

Yes. The little bit of surface mount soldering (ATmega) is done before the board is shipped, as can be seen in the picture above @videofx posted.

Edited by Gunstar

I received a reply today, and am now just waiting on a quote and the Paypal address and mine will be ordered. I'm just getting the board alone, with the Atmega pre-programmed. I already have everything else I need to use with it, like power supply for 5 and 12 volts and I already have an eprom burner, so I don't need the RCT for any of that. I'm excited! But unfortunately Stephan does not sell assembled boards. So I will have to assemble it myself. Now it's time to go read the BOM and collect all the components I have that are needed and order what I don't. Which I don't think is much (I recently restocked my electronic component stores), except the LCD screen component, so I will already have all the needed components before the RCT even arrives.

Edited by Gunstar

10 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Seems like a must-have device for people like FJC and, of course, all our tinkerers in here.. Lets hope they keep expanding the database of chips.

It wouldn't surprise me if FJC already has one.

20 hours ago, Gunstar said:

What did the board cost and what was the assembled one selling for on eBay? I'm still waiting on a reply from the contact sheet I filled out and I have no clue what they sell for since that info seems to be no were. I also checked eBay before filling out the contact form just hoping to be able to buy one and not jump through all the contact hoops in ordering one and waiting for a response, which I LOATH doing, but am anyway, as I want one so badly. But there were no listings for it. I am hoping for an assembled one, if I can afford it that way, as I need it for a 1001 other hardware projects and would rather not make it 1002 and just have it ready to use for the 1001 projects I already have...

This is what I bought

The price for
- the main board with the pre-assembled ATmega2560
   (no SMT soldering necessary),
- the DC/DC module board,
- a suitable micro USB socket,
together amount to 38 Euros.

the assembled one was over $300 if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

This is what I bought

The price for

I presume the Zif socket and the display are the most expensive parts (after the pre installed ATmega)..Mind you, parts are all expensive now..

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

I presume the Zif socket and the display are the most expensive parts (after the pre installed ATmega)..Mind you, parts are all expensive now..

That is probably correct. Make sure to get the right ZIF socket. Watch some YouTube videos for building it. It’s easier to learn from their mistakes. ?

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

If he has its good material for a video..

I watched about an hour and a half worth of videos last night, there are already about a dozen on Youtube for the RCT. So there is already a lot of redundancy.

4 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

This is what I bought

The price for

Thanks. A hard question to answer since so much has to be source yourself. When I asked I thought assembled units and full kits were available for a simpler answer. The price has apparently gone up quite a bit since you ordered yours. I just received my price quote for the board with the Atmega installed and programmed is costing me 78 EUR, the total with shipping is 108,12 EUR. Just under $125.00 American. Stephan say's the reason in the increase is all due to the Atmega he gets from the US has increased in price from $6 to $35! Though this doesn't surprise me since we have ridiculous inflation here in the US right now.

Luckily, that's all I needed to order from Stephan, as I already have my own +/-5V and +/-12V as well as adjustable voltages with my two Analog-digital power supply/trainers as seen in the picture below. And I have an Arduino on hand to use as well, and the vast majority of components needed I already have too, recently fully restocked with all the most common components. I also already have an eprom burner that is compatible with everything I need to burn, so I didn't need any adapter boards.

I'll need to purchase the ZIF socket and the LCD screen, and probably one or two other components, the rest I already have on hand.

20220228_195705.thumb.jpg.bc2b1cd08c8d1fda0537497bfb84a9a1.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice @videofx! I'm still waiting on my board to arrive (maybe even today), not that I've bothered to look at the BOM anyway and made sure I have all the parts (I have most) either. And as I mentioned above I have my own power source for all needed voltages, so I'll just be using the green wire headers at the top. I guess the only daughter board I will have is for the LCD screen.

Edited by Gunstar

My RCT Pro arrived today. Now I just have to print out the BOM, collect the components I have and find out what I need to order. Exciting! I have a couple of computers I will be using this to help with trouble shooting as soon as it's up and running.

20220326_152856.thumb.jpg.2fd55078d75c609a0b54c3c3ed3e1038.jpg20220326_153045.thumb.jpg.45a4a451f2eed803b07680830985249d.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

I just realized, I think I was sent the PSU board by mistake. I didn't order it because I have an Analog/Digital Trainer P.A.D (it's 22 years old now, I built it my freshman year, first semester at MATC) with all the voltages I need and I was just going to wire it up via the green terminals. I guess I have it now, just in case. It does make it more portable so I guess I can build it since I have it, then I can test chips right out of the computer at my computer desk instead of taking the chips or computer out to my electronics lab.

I was just looking at the pictures of assembled units post above, and I think I prefer the green LCD to the Blue, it matches the green LED's. Though I do have Blue LED's on hand so I suppose I could use those on the power board instead, to match the blue LCD. But I'll see, I'm sure I could find amber or red screens too...

Edited by Gunstar

• 10 months later...

Yes I've made several of these for selling on Ebay, now up to V23 with the software, just finished one for my colleague in Germany, they are excellent and Stefan offers 1st class support, includes a Self Test routine which can be run after assembly, just about to put another on Ebay, probably next Month in March or April 2023, please let me know if anyone needs one, the only issue is usually updating the ATMega program, needs a special programming tool, but can be done with an Arduino. The image is of my very old build of the RCT Rev. 1.2i.  I've added an extra FUNC/TOP switch as the latest Rev 1.2k includes the extra switch.

_DSC0031.JPG

Edited by PhutneyBuilder
I added an Image of my RCT