IGNORED

Quiz Game

Danjovic

This is my first Atari Game(1).  It is intended to be played by 3 to 5 people.

One person, the host, make a question and the other players, each one holding a paddle controller shall dispute the opportunity to answer the question.

The first one to press the button wins the round, and the screen blinks the winner number on screen.

The next round can be engaged either by all players pressing their buttons simultaneously or by the host pressing the RESET button on the console.

The game is written in Batari Basic. Thanks to the authors for this excellent tool (along with Vbb) and for the tutorials.

There's a lot of things to improve, of course,  like adding sound and better worked graphics! (and plenty space for that, precisely 2048 bytes)

Title Screen

quizgame.thumb.gif.ea54a007ad679a3f23156b90c991293d.gif

Waiting for the players to press the button

questionmarkk.thumb.gif.9de44cdd5b8f0cebf0711fa747850c1c.gif

Player 1 wins

numer01.thumb.gif.9f8333b28e9e95bc0222fe2db5bdb753.gif

Player 2 wins

numero2.thumb.gif.f20fe3178ef7706b58c8d7a8102703d7.gif

Player 3 wins

numero3.thumb.gif.a4890fa6a3da7c8da139b944e227ec75.gif

Player 4 wins

numero4.thumb.gif.83c35598903c46589ba51424a77f2008.gif

(1) but not my first Atari Homebrew.

(2) two paddles are required but the game can also be played using track and field controllers, or eventually ordinary joysticks for two players

QuizGame.bin

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

More a nice utility for a game night than a game. As a suggestion, as players may give the wrong answer maybe you could add a function which would allow the quiz master to allow the other players to come back in, say usiing the Select key which would lock out the last player(s) that gave the wrong answer?

Cool. I love the question mark shrinking while waiting for an answer. I had made a similar program a while back designed to be a substitute for the buzzer systems used in College Quiz Bowl tournaments called Quiztari Buzzer Program.

I similarly used paddles but utilized the Quadtari to allow for 8 players or the option for two joysticks to be used with each direction for a players buzzer. 

Also had moderator reset and timers. But when ZeroPage Homebrew tested it my code for multiple players didn’t work and I hadn’t really revisited it. 

What made you decide to make this? Did you play quiz bowl or are just a fan of trivia?

2 hours ago, KevKelley said:

Cool. I love the question mark shrinking while waiting for an answer. I had made a similar program a while back designed to be a substitute for the buzzer systems used in College Quiz Bowl tournaments called Quiztari Buzzer Program.

Thanks! Your game looks amazing. I am sure that the time you may spend to figure out what went wrong and fix the game will pay off!

2 hours ago, KevKelley said:

What made you decide to make this? Did you play quiz bowl or are just a fan of trivia?

It was just an idea on how to use a 2600 to bring joy to parties and retro meetings, and at the same time make an unconventional game. It is more a quiz bowl, the first to press have the right to answer the question.

It was also an exercise on Batari Basic Programming.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 3:00 AM, Jamtex said:

More a nice utility for a game night than a game.

Precisely !!

On 1/18/2023 at 3:00 AM, Jamtex said:

As a suggestion, as players may give the wrong answer maybe you could add a function which would allow the quiz master to allow the other players to come back in, say usiing the Select key which would lock out the last player(s) that gave the wrong answer?

Nice suggestion, thanks!!

• Like 1