IGNORED

Atari Prototypes - What Would You Have Wanted?

Of all the prototype computers Atari tried to get released, which of the following would you have wanted to use had they been officially released?

List:

800XLD = 800XL with 5-1/4" disk drive, expanded casing

1400XL = slated replacement for 1200XL with PBI and voice synthesizer

1450XLD = same as 1400XL but with two 5-1/4" disk drives, expanded casing

1600XL = same as 1400XL but also has Intel 80186 CPU for greater DOS compatibility

1650XLD = same as 1450XLD but also has Intel 80186 CPU for greater DOS compatibility

65XEP = 65XE with portable monitor included

65XEM = 65XE with "Amy" sound chip for musicians

~Ben

The one with the Amiga chipset.  I think it was tentatively named the 1850XLD.  

Good grief.  Between the 8bit 1450XLD, the sort of PC compatible 1650XLD and the 68k based 1850XLD the product branding would have been a disaster.

A Falcon040 would have been nice too. 

• Like 3

Forgot to say the 1400XL, 1450XLD, 1600XL and 1650XLD would all also have had a 300-baud modem, also built into the machine, but this would soon be out of date. The subsequent SX212 standalone modem went to 1000-baud.

Yes, the 1850XLD in 16/32 flavor (how the ST series was named) would've been nice, but as you say the features of each of these prototypes would have made for a confusing computer market.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

9 hours ago, ColecoFan1981 said:

65XEP = 65XE with portable monitor included

Maybe we should call this a 'Portable Version of the 65XE' instead, which incorporated a miniature CRT monitor and floppy drive ;)

After all that's what it really was.

Atari_65XEP_System.jpg.d99c89589d66671fbac414e64c9156ef.jpg

Very much like the SX-64, but missing a handle (how would you carry this one around?).

I actually built something like this myself based on a 600XL back in the very early 90's, where I gutted the case for the motherboard, and left the keyboard in. Then very much like the XEGS, I moved the 4051 MUX chips for the keyboard scanning onto a perfboard and placed this in the now reassigned keyboard only case with a Dsub-9 for connection to the motherboard. My system had dual 5.25 floppies, a 5" color CRT, a 12V Gel cell, 12V to 5V switching PSU, and the motherboard all in a separate metal case. As part of the keyboard circuit, I had incorporated a local crystal scan oscillator and counter which was synced to Pokey via one wire, thus enabling me to have +5V, GND, the main keyboard matrix, Start, Select, Option and Reset all with only 9 pins (the XEGS should have done this).

Although this had a battery built-in, it wouldn't last long off of that, So it was normally tethered to a car via the cigarette lighter jack.

I used to go camping with a  buddy of mine and his young daughter at the time, so this became the evening entertainment system. We played a lot of Preppie! which was her favorite :)

I wish I still had pictures of this and the schematics for the keyboard scan board.

• Like 3

I vote for the 16 or 1850 's , Issue with most of what they were proposing would have been quickly surpassed tech and or crazy priced. Seems atari had a few years there with insane excess cash to throw around and eng groups doing all sorts of crazy stuff. why they didn't follow apples lead and do superset upgrades to the chipsets , still support most previous software , but have faster cpu more sound and vid ability. Or the IIGS route. so good Jobs killed it so the mac could catch up. 

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

65XEM for me

Though the 1450XLD has always intrigued me

And if the 1850XLD would of course be interesting but I doubt it was ever much of a prototype since Atari never got the Amiga chips.

On 3/15/2022 at 2:46 AM, oracle_jedi said:

Good grief.  Between the 8bit 1450XLD, the sort of PC compatible 1650XLD and the 68k based 1850XLD the product branding would have been a disaster.

Yeah I'd hope marketing would straighten out the names if they ever got off the drawing board!   The 1600XL/1650XLD would still be XL compatible, but doesn't sound like the 1850 would be, so a new naming scheme would be needed.

On 3/15/2022 at 2:46 AM, oracle_jedi said:

A Falcon040 would have been nice too. 

Wasn't there a version of the Falcon in development that wasn't going to be in the 1040-style case?   Using a Mega-type case or something instead?

23 hours ago, zzip said:

Wasn't there a version of the Falcon in development that wasn't going to be in the 1040-style case?   Using a Mega-type case or something instead?

Yep, the Falcon 040/Microbox 030 was going to be in a nice case with CD access and more. It looked really good. I *dream* about this having actually

having made it out the door before Atari dropped computer support. Did you hear about the Sony angle to it? Check out this story:

Here's a couple of pictures:

post-5822-1164225300.jpg.0f508bd208c4c00e22d71a206c59f498.jpg

post-5822-1164225353.jpg.21c8b2ef7c05048d4cbd10028e75c67f.jpg

f040_painter.gif.d36e758c355e8f95763f0539965764d5.gif

152412759_FalconMicrobox02.thumb.jpg.446db4870bd070f1d2a0971ccbe2ea19.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Yep, the Falcon 040/Microbox 030 was going to be in a nice case with CD access and more. It looked really good. I *dream* about this having actually

having made it out the door before Atari dropped computer support. Did you hear about the Sony angle to it? Check out this story:

Yes that does look cool,  but I don't like the CD on top since I'd want to place the monitor there.   And the keyboard looks generic-  no hint of Atari styling.

Some of the photos appear to have USB ports?  Was that so?     Atari got out of the business around the time USB was being created so it would seem like a Falcon would be too early for that.

I always wanted a 1450XLD but these days with digital storage its main attraction of a faster high-capacity floppy drive has become a bit pointless, so I'd only take it for the looks and the level space to place a monitor. (I'm not a musical person.) I do wonder how the 80186 hybrid units might have fared.