IGNORED

Atari 800 AKI USB

Panther

4 minutes ago, mytek said:

Kind of hard to navigate FujiNet directories without those keys. Really weird that those would have been overlooked, since they are amongst the non-CTRLed and non-Shifted keys of an Atari. Although they do require using Shift on a PC keyboard.

Just navigating some DOS's becomes a problem too.

Candle has produced a version of the new firmware which programs successfully to the existing hardware and appears to work. Hopefully this will be made available to existing users (the incentive to purchase any new board revision presumably being the inclusion of interesting esoteric features for which there is insufficient space on the current hardware).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

the incentive to purchase any new board revision presumably being the inclusion of interesting esoteric features for which there is insufficient space on the current hardware

And I discovered through many years of fiddling with the TK-II that having extra room doesn't always produce something useful or good. I remember when I first re-started my project in 2015, thinking to create a rebirth of the 1990 TransKey utilizing modern hardware, a seed got planted in my head by a friend with good intentions. The idea was to implement not only the PC keyboard, but also a PC mouse. However it was suggested that the mouse should work in text mode using the arrow keys to get around. That experiment went on for far too long and ultimately needed to die, and then have the extra PS/2 port repurposed. That is why on the early TK-II versions there are two PS/2 ports, both of which are for a keyboard. Later as the hardware evolved and unsuccessful firmware features got stripped away (there were many), so did the extra PS/2 keyboard port.

If I was to start over from scratch, I would focus on keeping the code streamlined and simple, and just be sure to cover all the key possibilities in the proper way for the 8-bit Atari. And I would leave out all the bells and whistles ;)

EDIT: I sometimes revisit the idea of doing such a stripped down version for the XEGS. It could be done with an 8-pin PIC chip such as the PIC12F1572 and easily fit inside the shell of a mating DA15 plug. If you accept the fact that the Start, Select, Option and Reset buttons are provided on the game console itself, the entire interface could be done with only the 6 GPIO lines this chip incorporates (2 for the PS/2 keyboard, 2 for syncing to the High and Low bits of Pokey's key scan counter, and 2 for sending key press data back to Pokey's KR inputs). I would also write this in the open source Great Cow Basic and release the subsequent source code as well as the HEX file so others could play around with it.

• Like 5

On 1/22/2024 at 11:08 PM, Panther said:

I reported the keymap issue to Lotharek on March 20, 2022, so I'm sure it will be fixed soon...

I discovered the other day that the corrected firmware (or at least the cut-down version I was sent for the original hardware, although the problem may also exist with the new hardware implementation) doesn't work on NTSC machines (it seems I was the first to test it on one), so hopefully that will be corrected soon as well, otherwise I can't recover the £700 I spent on upgrades I bought for the customer's machine. :)

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

I discovered the other day that the corrected firmware (or at least the cut-down version I was sent for the original hardware, although the problem may also exist with the new hardware implementation) doesn't work on NTSC machines (it seems I was the first to test it on one), so hopefully that will be corrected soon as well, otherwise I can't recover the £700 I spent on upgrades I bought for the customer's machine. :)

It would be nice to be able to actually use these AKI boards, although, it turned out to not work out with the PokeyMAX on my 800.

I used to have the lotharek AKI USB installed, but it is impossible to program in PL65 without < and > and so I had to remove it.

I had it replaced with the lotharek's dark Aki PS2.  Yeah, I know, rewarded him with a second sale, but the reality is, I appreciate our Atari dealers, none are the perfect experience,

but having Atari dealers is a cool part of the Atari hobby.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't say the AKI USB is worth purchasing or he is right to sell it when it doesn't work - because it doesn't work and he shouldn't sell lit.

After getting a PS2 Atari Keyboard Interface installed - I got a USB keyboard with CherryMX brown keys that supports the PS2 protocol. The Filco Majestouch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313474069736

Something like that one. This isn't a keyboard review, but if someone is looking for a Cherry MX USB keyboard that also supports PS2 protocol so you can use it in ps2 mode with adapter, this keyboard is a solution.

I love that keyboard, as a matter of fact, the typing is so superb, best of any keyboard I own, pc or Mac.  Because of the Cherry Mx keys of course, and that also allowed me to order keycaps from Etsy and I have all the Atari function keys printed in Atari 800 orange, plus an Atari logo key. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 2:42 PM, Panther said:

It would be nice to be able to actually use these AKI boards, although, it turned out to not work out with the PokeyMAX on my 800.

Just to keep people informed who may be contemplating a PokeyMAX purchase to use with the TK-II, 1088XEL/XLD, or 576NUC+, it likely won't work for these systems either. Fundamentally it will have erratic performance in certain areas of operation, and in some cases not physically fit as well (e.g., 576NUC+). PokeyMAX is a good product for use in an Atari still centered around the original keyboard, but when it comes to supporting any of the 3rd party keyboard adapters there could be issues.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 8:02 AM, mytek said:

Just to keep people informed who may be contemplating a PokeyMAX purchase to use with the TK-II, 1088XEL/XLD, or 576NUC+, it likely won't work for these systems either. Fundamentally it will have erratic performance in certain areas of operation, and in some cases not physically fit as well (e.g., 576NUC+). PokeyMAX is a good product for use in an Atari still centered around the original keyboard, but when it comes to supporting any of the 3rd party keyboard adapters there could be issues.

Alright, where's the 1088NUC+ PokeyMAX/FujiNet/SDrive edition with Bluetooth keyboard support?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Following firmware update, got original and new revision AKI boards working with complete key set, saved config, and NTSC compatibility here. Delighted and relieved. :)

That's great news.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Following firmware update, got original and new revision AKI boards working with complete key set, saved config, and NTSC compatibility here. Delighted and relieved. :)

What a difference a day makes 👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Panther said:

What was the NTSC compatibility issue?  I've only used them in NTSC systems and didn't have a problem besides the unmapped keys.

I look forward to trying them with the updated firmware.

I think the ntsc issue was caused by the new firmware in it's beta stage, which is now fixed. 

Yes: just to be unequivocal about this. The original (i.e. currently on sale) USB AKIs (white PCB, ATSAMD21E15B chip) worked on NTSC and PAL machines, but were missing several keys and usually failed to work on the XEGS without some motherboard modifications. I lost NTSC functionality when I updated both my white boards to the cut-down version of the newer firmware last weekend, and since it was for some reason impossible to locate the production firmware and send me a working copy of it, I was completely stuck until the new firmware's NTSC issues were fixed. The new boards (black PCB, ATSAMD21E16B chip) are apparently compatible with the XEGS as well.

So, if you already own a USB AKI, it will work on NTSC machines (except - probably - a PAL or NTSC XEGS). One commentator under the video previously attempted to install an AKI in an NTSC XEGS and when it didn't work, he put it in a PAL 800XL, where it did work. However, this will have been down to the XEGS issue and not any NTSC compatibility problem with the production firmware.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

see fjc's indepth explanation here, where video is set to start at the Aki section:

Besides the informative video, having the phone ring in real life while you're trying to do stuff like this is awesome.

It shows you're not one of those vloggers who takes multiple shots until everything works perfectly.

We've all been there, thinking "FFS, what now? Leave me alone," and many more expletives.

You're keeping it real and showing things as they happen.

Keep it up :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Overange said:

We've all been there, thinking "FFS, what now? Leave me alone," and many more expletives.

This will probably be turned up to eleven in subsequent videos, where recording has been subject to endless telephone interruptions. :)

Thanks for the encouraging remarks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

This will probably be turned up to eleven in subsequent videos, where recording has been subject to endless telephone interruptions. :)

Thanks for the encouraging remarks!

NP ;) 

If its one of those 'According to our records, you recently had an accident' scam call centre phone calls, I think a Parental label will be needed :D

Parental Advisory Explicit Content GIF by Sealed With A GIF

• Haha 1

TF_HH shows a fix on XEGS machines with keyboard related issues by adding a couple of components, it's on the forums. Whenever an XEGS rolls through, I look it up. I think TF_HH material is a go to for what to do on any machine before doing anything else upgrade wise. Do his fixes and touches first and build on that. You will be so much happier in the long run.

A tf_hh compendium guide should be made for the masses :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

The original (i.e. currently on sale) USB AKIs (white PCB, ATSAMD21E15B chip) worked on NTSC and PAL machines, but were missing several keys and usually failed to work on the XEGS without some motherboard modifications.

If I had to guess I would say the XEGS required adding pull-up resistors on the Pokey KR inputs directly to the motherboard or perhaps on the AKI adapter, since the XEGS has those in the detachable keyboard.

On 2/11/2024 at 12:54 PM, Overange said:

NP ;) 

If its one of those 'According to our records, you recently had an accident' scam call centre phone calls, I think a Parental label will be needed :D

Parental Advisory Explicit Content GIF by Sealed With A GIF

I know this is off topic for this topic, but is it in response to the above, @flashjazzcat this is a classic, how many would love to have it as a ring tone or message alert 😆

Once again, great video 😉

• Haha 3