IGNORED

PC engine/Turbo Grafx gaming start.

I can attest to the awesomeness of the PCE Mini, I've got that nice white original one from Japan and it is an amazing little thing as long as you're not salty about not having everdrive level of game access.

You say it was hacked finally??  Any links to sites with the hacks and how-to for it?  I may if it's idiot proof like hakchi buy a 2nd system and hack the crap out of it seeing I mostly enjoyed the card games anyway, so that would be a solid fit going all in on the HuCards once more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey that link to amazon japan, it says it will ship to the US to me for the white PCE Mini I have.  Translated from yen to dollars it's just $80 for it which is nuts.  (+$22 for the shipping) and given what the dickery on ebay shows that's a huge savings as a way to go about it.

The link again to be specific:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/PC-Engine/dp/B07QHNRVYV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=22Q22LZHVRKQ5&keywords=core%2Bgrafx%2Bmini&qid=1648127834&sprefix=core%2Bgrafx%2Bmini%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-1&th=1

Also seeing on ebay Japanese members selling them for about the same price +$10 on there shipped into the USA too.  Seriously a good time to grab one, seems to be in a lull from where it was before.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NE146 said:

However the Coregrafx Mini remains unavailable.  Amazon UK shows them as unavailable same as every other time I looked.

I was going to say it's available in France and it is, though very expensive... But most of all, it comes from the UK! ?

https://www.amazon.fr/Konami-PC-Engine-CoreGrafx-mini/dp/B07SV7H25L/

1854719003_Screenshot2022-03-24at22-54-47PCEngineCoreGrafxminiAmazon.frJeuxvido.png.c9aa6d4f939ffbe9f20e916c70c6b2fe.png

⬆️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That would be more expensive than a Duo RX would be. Also if you really want a six button controller you should avoid the Arcade controller... I have one and it is pretty bad. I use a Core Grafx controller instead since none of my games even use more than 2 buttons (even CD games). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, guitarmas said:

That's true. I think the DUO-RX is my best choice.

Though it does not come with the arcade card bios built in (just the last version of the Super CD System Bios). But only a handful of games use it... though I do want it for Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire which is a vertical shmup that uses it.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

Get the Avenue Pad 3 and/or the PC Engine Shuttle controller. Best PC Engine controllers.

1 hour ago, guitarmas said:

That's okay. Is there a better option than the retro tink 2x?

Better? Yes, but also much more expensive. If you have an extra $300 that you don't need, get the RetroTINK 5x Pro. If you just want a budget thing, the 2x is still good from what I understand, but I've never used it myself.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention it before, but if you want a really easy RGB solution for a non-DUO/non-Shuttle variant, you can get the db Grafx Booster. There is also the Spark Plug, but it's sold out. Of course, you can't play CD games with the Grafx Booster attached, but if you are okay with only HuCARDs, it exists. I'd still probably get a DUO variant and use composite, though. PC Engine has really good composite anyway.

• Thanks 1

I have a modded Duo-R with a region switch that outputs SCART RGB, which I put into a Retro Tink SCART 2X and it looks fantastic!  I have a Retro Tink 2X Pro I use for other things and it also looks great!  Also a big fan of Analogue stuff!   (There.  That about covers it)  :)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, newtmonkey said:

PC Engine has some of the cleanest composite video around

Absolutely. Everyone is so focused on RGB that they dismiss composite video entirely, but the PC Engine has some of the best composite I've seen. When I got my CRT, one of the first things I did was plug my PC Engine into it and I was not disappointed. I was actually very impressed with its quality overall and would gladly stick with composite if there wasn't an easy RGB solution for the PC Engine. It's still composite, so it's not going to look super perfect, but it's definitely the best composite of all of the 4th gen home consoles. You'd think the Neo Geo AES would have some great composite since it's basically a consolized arcade machine, but nope, it's garbage. PC Engine has the best 4th gen composite easily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Though it does not come with the arcade card bios built in (just the last version of the Super CD System Bios). But only a handful of games use it... though I do want it for Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire which is a vertical shmup that uses it.

I'm confused with the 4000 different cards etc they released for them. So for example, a JP Duo RX would play everything JP as long as it doesn't require an arcade card? The arcade card essentially adds more ram? Do the everdrives (inc clones) fake the arcade card at all?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So basically the DUO and I think also the Super CD-ROM2 only ever need the Arcade Card, which itself is region locked for some weird reason. You specifically want the Arcade Card DUO for DUO variants, and I think also for the Super CD-ROM2, if you decide to buy that ridiculously expensive and massive thing. Pretty sure the Arcade Card Pro still works for those, but it's like 10000 yen while the Arcade Card DUO is like 2000~3000 yen.

If you have the regular CD-ROM2, you'll want the Arcade Card Pro for Arcade Card games, as the Arcade Card DUO won't work with that hardware. There is a small number of games that take advantage of the extra Blast ProcessingTM of the Arcade Card for extra animations or something like that, but only 9 games actually require it. Honestly, if you're not planning on playing one of those 9 games, just get the Super System Card and either don't play Altered Beast on CD or get the card that it actually works with. Pretty sure you want the HuCARD version of Altered Beast anyway...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I use the Arcade Card Duo on my Super CD-ROM². I needed it for the first game I wanted to buy on CD-ROM² because, except for Sapphire of course, most Arcade Card compatibles games are actually cheap (like $30), at least compared to most PC Engine games, HuCard or CD-ROM² based alike.

But I can't wait for the Analogue Duo to get rid of that clutter, honestly. ? I'm afraid my CRT blows up each time I turn it on now, my PCE or Super CD-ROM² (maybe both) needs recapping, I don't want to let the Super CD-ROM² plugged so it can't keep my saves and I need to transfer backups each time, etc. ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I pretty much came around full circle to the point where when it comes to original consoles (especially 16-bit and below), rather than dinking with cables, customization, upscalers, etc... I prefer them simply with composite out, to a regular CRT. Period.

It was good enough for me for decades here in the US and I find there's just something comforting about it lol. But whatever the case, I think it looks just fine, if not great :)

1017504134_image4(2).thumb.jpg.d414b86b18b8664969ce11c85bc34a16.jpg

Anyway, these days if you want to play on a flat screen you have emulation of all sorts (e.g. the Mini consoles). You have MisTer. And soon we'll have the Analogue Duo. They'll all have hdmi out and look great in that context. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1