IGNORED

Light gun games on Switch

Rick Dangerous

Really miss that about the Wii/Wii U.  Where are all the light gun games at on Switch?

I'm talking House of the Dead, those kind of games.   If you know of any that use an actual gun style controller where you aim at the TV, please do tell! 

Confirmed Light Gun Games for Switch:

-Assault ChaingunS KM (digital only)

-Cabela's The Hunt: Championship Edition (digital and cart release) Terrible--do not buy

-House of the Dead Remaster (Release date/format TDB)

Edited by Rick Dangerous

That's great, looking forward to that one!

Nothing else?  

Edit: apparently Cabela's The Hunt: Championship Edition uses IR controls for shooting, so there's one more. 

How did the Wii have like 40 light fun games and the Switch has barely any?

Edited by Rick Dangerous

Because the Wii had a sensor bar. The Switch doesn't. I don't understand how the IR camera at the bottom of the right Joy-con would work for a light gun game anyway. I think games use the gyroscope instead (which would not feel that different from the Wii remote pointing system actually).

According to this Amazon add for the this light gun style joy-con holster,  Wolfenstein II can also us Gyro shooting controls.  Can anyone confirm?

I'm doubtful because it also says "Big Buck Hunter Arcade" and that is known to be joystick aiming only (unless they did an update adding gyro controls. 

Any other good peripherals like this that people have purchased to use with these shooting games? 

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 2.46.11 PM.png

1 minute ago, Rick Dangerous said:

According to this Amazon add for the this light gun style joy-con holster,  Wolfenstein II can also us Gyro shooting controls.  Can anyone confirm?

I'm doubtful because it also says "Big Buck Hunter Arcade" and that is known to be joystick aiming only (unless they did an update adding gyro controls. 

Any other good peripherals like this that people have purchased to use with these shooting games? 

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 2.46.11 PM.png

This video seems to confirm the Wolfenstein part.

• Like 1

Got this for $85 new on ebay.  Haven't used a fishing controller since the dreamcast.

If you "watch" it they'll give you 5% off (I have no affiliation with the seller). Cabela's The Hunt and Bass Pro Shops The Strike Nintendo Switch Combo Pack 860007017629 | eBay

I'll let everyone know how this gun works out. 

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I think Doom (2016) also has gyro aim/motion controls; the big question for Wolf 2 and Doom is if they work in a gun style controller.  If not it sort of defeats the purpose.  Will try to test Doom once i get this controller in. 

I took a look around earlier and saw an article that indicated Doom was supported by gyro controls, but just like the video I shared earlier you need to use the joystick to move around. I'm not sure how that plays out. I hope a rail shooter comes into the play eventually if there isn't one already.

On 3/24/2022 at 4:57 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

Got this for $85 new on ebay.  Haven't used a fishing controller since the dreamcast.

If you "watch" it they'll give you 5% off (I have no affiliation with the seller). Cabela's The Hunt and Bass Pro Shops The Strike Nintendo Switch Combo Pack 860007017629 | eBay

I'll let everyone know how this gun works out. 

For anyone else interested its a little cheaper at Gamestop

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/products/cabelas-the-hunt-and-bass-pro-shops-the-strike-combo-pack----nintendo-switch/303403.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone on the fence...Do NOT buy these games.  They SUCK. lol.   Returning my copies today.

I was hopeful because Cabela's Dangerous Hunts series on the Wii and Wii U were actually quite good; arcadey and fun.  This game is more like a "hunting simulator" and a broken one at that.  Slow and boring.  Where are the damn animals?  Why is my guy walking at a snails pace?   At least they got the "drunk driving ATV with no helmet sim" part right.   Clearly a new/different developer and these are mediocre FTP games at best. 

I have come to understand why there are no light gun games on the Switch:  It's doesn't really have the hardware included to make that happen.  It's just not designed for it.   The gyro's are great for subtle motion control; but not really sweeping movements like you would make with a light gun, so you have to overcompensate with your controller to aim across the screen on the TV.   The strength of the motion controls lies in precision aiming if you are already zoomed in on a target for example, if you twist your wrist to aim down a bit, etc. 

I think that maybe; with some great software, they could sort of make it work.  Looking forward to seeing how it's implemented on the House of the Dead re-release.  Given the hardware limitations i'd be surprised if there was ever more than 1-3 real light gun style games attempted on Switch successfully.   It's a shame but you can't do it every gen i guess!  Will have to go the VR route for my light gun gaming needs. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, homerj said:

So the description of HOTD Remake says it’s playable using joycons or a gun.  I wonder what exactly they mean by that.  Using the same shotgun style joycon shells that are already available or is there something else coming?

Yeah....i'm cautiously optimistic that with such a big release they can do things as well as the hardware will allow.  We'll see!!  

Just because you CAN use the Joy-cons and/or there is SOME motion control; doesn't mean it's going to feel/play like the a real light gun game.  Still, given that's what these games are in their purest form; you think they will shoot for that experience as closely as possible. 

If it plays like Assault Chainguns it’ll be fine.  Nowhere near ideal but serviceable at least.  I had always hoped they’d do something like this back in the Wii/PS3 generation.  It would be amazing to get a port of Scarlet Dawn if the remake sells well enough.  It would be UNBELIEVABLE to get something - ANYTHING from the Virtua Cop series.  I never understood why we got Ghost Squad & Gunblade NY/LA Machine Guns on the Wii but no Virtua Cop.  

• Like 1